Poor front video quality when using front and rear camera

Been running20180801-140241E.jpg fw22.5 since yesterday. It has not solved my blurry, out of focus image quality from the front camera. I'm not sure exactly what has changed in the firmware but the file size of the front and rear camera is exactly the same as before hand.

Last edited:
Been running fw22.5 since yesterday. It has not solved my blurry, out of focus image quality from the front camera. I'm not sure exactly what has changed in the firmware but the file size of the front and rear camera is exactly the same as before hand.
Does anybody know what is actually upgraded in 22.5 ?

I have an answer to my own question .... version R22.5 has fixed a known bug with the 'dual files' option inside the menu and also revised the g sensor sensitivity on the device.

Been running fw22.5 since yesterday. It has not solved my blurry, out of focus image quality from the front camera. I'm not sure exactly what has changed in the firmware but the file size of the front and rear camera is exactly the same as before hand.

your lens is out of focus, firmware won't fix that, talk to wherever you bought it from about getting it replaced under warranty

Its ok if I unplug the rear camera

that screen shot above is out of focus, if you're not checking it at the same time with/without the rear connected then I would suggest that you do, if the focus is drifting that's still a warranty issue, hottest part of the day is when you're going to see issues, particularly if you had been parked in full sun

that screen shot above is out of focus, if you're not checking it at the same time with/without the rear connected then I would suggest that you do, if the focus is drifting that's still a warranty issue, hottest part of the day is when you're going to see issues, particularly if you had been parked in full sun

Good point, the car had been parked in full sun and this was taken 10 minutes after setting off. Looking at the footage it was still blurry when I set off this morning and the car had been garaged overnight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, the car had been parked in full sun and this was taken 10 minutes after setting off. Looking at the footage it was still blurry when I set off this morning and the car had been garaged overnight

next time you're parked out in full sun like that for a while unplug the rear before you set off and have a look, I'm sure the screenshot above is a focus issue and not related to lower bitrate

Sure looks out of focus to me. The dash air vents look OK though.
Do a comparison with rear cam in/out when parked. But also do a test with the front cam to 1080 so that it is a fair comparison.

One thing I thought on my old 412 looked like 'out of focus' was actually vibration. Recorded image perfectly OK when stationary.

Thanks for the suggestion but it's still the same IQ when the car is stationary with the engine switched off.

I have conducted more comparison tests today. I unplugged the rear camera and set the front camera resolution to 1080P. The inside cab temperature was within a degree or two of the 1st Augusts temperature. As near as possible I am showing the same locations for comparison.

1st August with rear camera connected
PENWED.png

3rd August with rear camera disconnected and resolution set at 1080P
PENFRI.png

FAWED.png

FAFRI.png

TLWED.png

TLFRI.png

It appears pretty conclusive, from my tests, that the issue is caused when the rear camera is attached. The cabin and outside temperatures are very close on both the days, the car was left unattended in full sun for roughly the same amount of time. The only difference I observe is one hour time difference from the 1st to the 3rd.

Edited - Reduce to 720P for postsize

Last edited:
I'm getting 404 errors.

Could be because they are http and browsers now use https ?

I'm getting 404 errors.

Could be because they are http and browsers now use https ?

I’ve just tried the links on my iPhone and it’s bringing up the pics ok

Tried IE, edge, safari and chrome browsers and appears ok at my end.

404 for me too. Are you on your local network perhaps there is some tricky domain resolution happening for you.

Try on mobile and see if it works?

Browsers are soon to mandate SSL, if not already, so you'll have to fix that anyway for future stuff.

So I did the upgrade yesterday evening.

New firmware defo better on quality with rear connected. Not disconnected rear to see quality with out.

@tiffany was this expected with the new firmware?

Back