Poor man's Air Conditioning

Viking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
WR1, Mini 906, 2*A119S, SJDash
We got a heat wave in Falls church, VA and the temperature have a heat index of 105F / 40C today.
I saw this car and I wonder how many bags of ice he got in the trunk. Someone need a serious cooling.

First i was like ???? but then i realized those are bags of ice, something we Danes can also buy now,,,, not that i know why.
Smaller bags here of course.

First i was like ????

I know what you mean.
Back in 2000 my wife want to buy ice at 7/11, there showed her ice cream :unsure:, No ice cube in a bag.
At that time you couldn't get ice cube in a bag in Denmark and there have not idea what it was. People at that time made ice cube in there own freezer.

Some still do.
My friend always have 20 - 25 of those cooler elements in his freezer, but icecubes we just use new years evening for our booze.
He also always have a case of can faxe kondi sugar free - a case of regular coke and a case of assorted other canned things his sister drink, in the fridge ( well one of his fridges )
Not to mention the 1.5 L bottles of flavored water he primarily drink at home.

I know what you mean.
Back in 2000 my wife want to buy ice at 7/11, there showed her ice cream :unsure:, No ice cube in a bag.
At that time you couldn't get ice cube in a bag in Denmark and there have not idea what it was. People at that time made ice cube in there own freezer.
Yes, seems that for USA people, even turning on a tap to get water is too much effort, instead they spend $18.5 billion annually on bottled water!

the people of Flint Michigan can't even drink tap water
That's the problem with living in a third world country!

Although in a proper third world country the people would have worked out that they shouldn't have used water ice cubes for the air conditioning, making them yourself using salt water would have kept the temperature 6°C cooler :cool:

At least the don't get arsenic in the tap water, as in Fiji bottle water.;)

We Danes have to close wells every so often due to pesticide pollution, and our rules for farmers are way tighter than elsewhere in the EU as far as i know.
Ground water is all we have, we cant really drink the water in the rivers, and so far no desalination plants here, though i think they also only work on the west coast where you can tap into the North Sea / Skagerak.
The Baltic sea water wont go, i think ships shut down their desalination equipment when they enter there just like the Mediterranean sea, its just a big sewer.

Happy i dont have any children.

At least the don't get arsenic in the tap water, as in Fiji bottle water.;)
I bet they do, they just haven't tested for it!

You should expect minerals like arsenic in mineral water, especially mineral water from a volcanic area where arsenic is often associated with sulphur.

Fiji water run some ads back in 2006 which gave a little backfire.
My gov had a fair where you could taste tap water vs. bottle and then you have to tell which are which.
I told them, I only need one taste, to tell which are which. I told city water got a bad taste, so its easy. I was right

Here is a link to the history: http://historymike.blogspot.com/2006/07/fiji-water-slams-cleveland-city-gets.html

Fiji water run some ads back in 2006 which gave a little backfire.
My gov had a fair where you could taste tap water vs. bottle and then you have to tell which are which.
I told them, I only need one taste, to tell which are which. I told city water got a bad taste, so its easy. I was right

Here is a link to the history: http://historymike.blogspot.com/2006/07/fiji-water-slams-cleveland-city-gets.html
And from Wikipedia, maybe Fiji bottled water is as good as Red Bull? :

"In subtoxic doses, soluble arsenic compounds act as stimulants, and were once popular in small doses as medicine by people in the mid-18th to 19th centuries."
"Some evidence indicates that arsenic is an essential trace mineral in birds (chickens), and in mammals (rats, hamsters, and goats)."

Of course in large amounts it is very bad for health so don't overdo it, but that warning applies to most energy drinks!

Sure they can. They just won't be able to remember how to turn the tap off after a few drinks.

I was in colorado a few months ago and the guy unloading me was from Flint. He had moved there recently and told me he was having a problem remembering it was OK to drink tapwater where he was.

Arsenic have indeed had its merits in history, i even think bicycle riders in TDF have used it alongside more "peppy" things.

Not like the Danish kid i read about today, so he read on social media that his GF had another, so he wanted to die, and so he whipped up a little Ricin which are a really nasty protein.
I dont think he ate any of it, or probably dident refine his end product to where it get NASTY, but he did go to the hospital, and police and others had to close down the neighborhood while they cleaned up his mess. Ricin here seem to fall under the same laws if you cook up a little TATP or mix a little Amoniun nitrate fertilizer and diesel, so the kid are indeed heading for trouble, and i am pretty sure he will have severe problems ever holidaying in the US after this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricin
Its probably something people should fear more than gun violence as you have a chance to go really really really bad with this nasty stuff.

The Poison Is Arsenic, and the Suspect Wood
It took six hospitalizations and a number of misdiagnoses before Lynn Milam learned what was causing the vomiting and diarrhea that almost killed her in 1999. The arsenic levels in her body, her doctor said, were about 100 times what they should have been.

Ms. Milam was relieved to have a diagnosis, however terrifying. That relief vanished when the police arrived. ''They said someone was trying to kill me, and they were almost 100 percent sure it was Tom,'' her husband, Ms. Milam said.

But she refused to believe it. ''I know the man,'' she said. ''If he were going to kill me, he'd just shoot me.''

Read the rest of stories here: https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/26/us/the-poison-is-arsenic-and-the-suspect-wood.html

Evaporate coolers --- Add ice and they become air-conditioners

Back