"Poor Man's" Polarizer for SG9665xx, A118xx, and B40xx

You'll probably be quite pleased with how well it works at night (at least as a front camera). Not as good as without the filter but still usable.

Relatively dark street with polarizer filter -

...and same street without the filter -

Unfortunately it doesn't do as well as a rear camera with dark privacy glass and the filter (same street) -

...and without the filter (again, same street) -

For comparison here's the A118-C as a rear camera without a filter (once again, same street) -

My opinion at this point is a polarizer is a viable option on a front camera (especially if I can find a lighter grey to use) if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of night quality. As a rear camera in a vehicle with privacy glass it looks like a polarizer will only be usable as a daylight option.

High DT MI, I enjoyed your comparison a lot, and will be trying out the filter trick you used to make the filter.
However, you need a dash mat really bad. You will be amazed at the differences in your tests, that glare/reflection will be practically gone, and it will be a lot easier on your eyes when driving! I just can't say enough about how much they will change the way you see/record things.
If interested, I purchased mine at Amazon with the company that made the one I bought called Dash Designs, I got the brushed suede finish in black. Other companies make them but this company has a very large data base of molds/patterns for various vehicles/years, quality was very good.
Dashmellow got me interested in them with some videos he showed with his dash mat, so I bought the exact same type he had purchased.

...you need a dash mat really bad....
Nope.

1. I just don't like the looks of a dash mat - personal opinion, but I've never seen one that looks good.
2. Polarizing filter works just fine.
3. If I wait there will be enough dust on the dash that there won't be any reflections anyhow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nope.

1. I just don't like the looks of a dash mat - personal opinion, but I've never seen one that looks good.
2. Polarizing filter works just fine.
3. If I wait there will be enough dust on the dash that there won't be any reflections anyhow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I share your feelings re-dashmat. I'd rather not have anything on my dash. My DIY CPL filter works sufficiently well.

I've had a vehicle with one before but that was because the top of the dash was cracked from UV exposure,...
IMO that's the only time a dash mat improves the look of a vehicle.

I've had a vehicle with one before but that was because the top of the dash was cracked from UV exposure, was just a cheap second hand work vehicle so it was a patchup job
Yours obviously served a functional purpose. However, for me the association is fuzzy dice, eight ball gear shifts and things like that.

When I decided to go ahead and purchase a dash mat I was expecting it would look hideous but I was willing to give it a try since I drive a rural truck that's part work vehicle anyway. The brushed suede one I bought ended up looking far more attractive and elegant than I was expecting. Now, I often tend to forget that it's even there. I was also kind of expecting some comments from friends but nobody even mentions it. It sure works great; far better than a CPL. So, the thing was a pleasant surprise all around.

When I decided to go ahead and purchase a dash mat I was expecting it would look hideous but I was willing to give it a try since I drive a rural truck that's part work vehicle anyway. The brushed suede one I bought ended up looking far more attractive and elegant than I was expecting. Now, I often tend to forget that it's even there. I was also kind of expecting some comments from friends but nobody even mentions it. It sure works great; far better than a CPL. So, the thing was a pleasant surprise all around.

no doubt that one made of suitable material is very effective, the majority of vehicles in our market don't have those options available, they're all pretty tacky looking things made out of cheap synthetic carpet type material

no doubt that one made of suitable material is very effective, the majority of vehicles in our market don't have those options available, they're all pretty tacky looking things made out of cheap synthetic carpet type material

Most of them appear to be some form of polyester carpeting which I would NEVER have considered. I don't know quite what you define by "the majority of vehicles in our market" but at least here in the rather significant US market dash mats in brushed suede and other attractive materials are available for a wide range of makes and models.

Most of them appear to be some form of polyester carpeting which I would NEVER have considered. I don't know quite what you define by "the majority of vehicles in our market" but at least here in the rather significant US market dash mats in brushed suede and other attractive materials are available for a wide range of makes and models.

we don't have much of a variety of supported vehicle models, it's not really something that is that popular but for those where they are available it's just the tacky synthetic type, have never seen any in any of the auto stores made from premium materials

we don't have much of a variety of supported vehicle models, it's not really something that is that popular but for those where they are available it's just the tacky synthetic type, have never seen any in any of the auto stores made from premium materials

I was under the impression that dash cams were quite popular in Australia because of the sun and heat so one might then expect a good selection. Sometimes it's a matter of making people aware of the options and suppliers then will respond. Hopefully, the market can change over time if the demand is there.

dashcams are becoming more popular but still quite a small market, you see more dahscams than you do dashmats that's for sure, we have a big country here but a very small population, not big enough to drive a demand for premium dashmats at least

dashcams are becoming more popular but still quite a small market, you see more dahscams than you do dashmats that's for sure, we have a big country here but a very small population, not big enough to drive a demand for premium dashmats at least

I guess that's true. Even a dash cam guy like me wasn't expecting the purchase of a dash mat to be such a game changer.

^^If it's a true polarizer it should work. If you have one it will be easy enough to check.

Back