Poor quality from GS2000 cam

bork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a GS2000 dashcam from an HK Ebay Seller after having a good read through this site and following this advice on the GS1000 page:

Since it is difficult to find the Old Orange Menu camera for sale any more, an alternative is to purchase the GS2000 with firmware versions SMH3.31.120112 or similar. This is an nearly identical camera to the GS1000 old orange menu with a rectangular casing. The camera comes in either white or black.

However, my initial tests with the cam are really dissapointing - the video recorded appears to be breaking up constantly and the definition isn't that high either. It certainly doesn't seem as good as many of the GS1000/2000 videos I'd watched on Youtube before buying the cam.

I was wondering if somebody could have a look at the following video and see what they think - if you play it using 1080p and go fullscreen you will (hopefully) see what I mean about the video quality. I was also hoping to get a GPS position timestamp but there is no option for that anywhere.

Is this cam a dud? Have I bought a cheap copy by accident? The ebay seller specified an Amberalla chip. Is this all the quality I can expect from this cam?

Perhaps my expectations are too high but it doesn't seem to match what I've seen in other reviews.

Any advice welcome because I only have a few days to send it back for a refund to the Ebay seller.

Last edited by a moderator:
bork said:
I recently bought a GS2000 dashcam from an HK Ebay Seller after having a good read through this site and following this advice on the GS1000 page:

Since it is difficult to find the Old Orange Menu camera for sale any more, an alternative is to purchase the GS2000 with firmware versions SMH3.31.120112 or similar. This is an nearly identical camera to the GS1000 old orange menu with a rectangular casing. The camera comes in either white or black.

However, my initial tests with the cam are really dissapointing - the video recorded appears to be breaking up constantly and the definition isn't that high either. It certainly doesn't seem as good as many of the GS1000/2000 videos I'd watched on Youtube before buying the cam.

I was wondering if somebody could have a look at the following video and see what they think - if you play it using 1080p and go fullscreen you will (hopefully) see what I mean about the video quality. I was also hoping to get a GPS position timestamp but there is no option for that anywhere.

Is this cam a dud? Have I bought a cheap copy by accident? The ebay seller specified an Amberalla chip. Is this all the quality I can expect from this cam?

Perhaps my expectations are too high but it doesn't seem to match what I've seen in other reviews.

Any advice welcome because I only have a few days to send it back for a refund to the Ebay seller.

Hi bork,

Watching the video I don't think you have an orange menu GS2000 camera. The date and time on the top left with the speed on the bottom left is usually a blue menu camera (which is still an Ambarella A2S60 chip but has cheaper components and lower video quality). What firmware version is this camera running?

I don't see the video recording breaking up in the video attached as you describe. However the quality is not the greatest and the left side of the video appears to be a little bit blurry. My guess is that this camera is using a low quality lens (typical of many blue menu cameras). That said, the quality isn't horrible and you can read the license plates and street signs in most cases.

Does the video quality get worse as the camera warms up? What vendor did you purchase from?

If you think you can live with the video quality, I would try to get some compensation from the vendor since the camera is not performing as good as expected (highlight the blurring, other issues, etc.). But it seems like the video quality will be a problem for you so I would suggest you return it and consider another camera.

Dash Cam Man

The quality looks ok to me but I'm not that picky.

DashCamMan said:
Watching the video I don't think you have an orange menu GS2000 camera. The date and time on the top left with the speed on the bottom left is usually a blue menu camera (which is still an Ambarella A2S60 chip but has cheaper components and lower video quality).
The menus appear to be orange but I guess that would be easy to change the manufacturer.

DashCamMan said:
What firmware version is this camera running?
When I check the firmware, it states "20120914"

DashCamMan said:
I don't see the video recording breaking up in the video attached as you describe. However the quality is not the greatest and the left side of the video appears to be a little bit blurry. My guess is that this camera is using a low quality lens (typical of many blue menu cameras). That said, the quality isn't horrible and you can read the license plates and street signs in most cases.
I guess "breaking up" was a bad description - it's more like a bit fuzzy; almost like an over compressed jpeg.

DashCamMan said:
Does the video quality get worse as the camera warms up?
The camera gets hot really quickly so not noticed.

DashCamMan said:
What vendor did you purchase from?
This is the ebay advert I purchased from, the seller is 4coolday

DashCamMan said:
If you think you can live with the video quality, I would try to get some compensation from the vendor since the camera is not performing as good as expected (highlight the blurring, other issues, etc.). But it seems like the video quality will be a problem for you so I would suggest you return it and consider another camera.
I was expecting this sort of quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ8oPqY5vk0

Which is why I'm so disappointed. I took a full day of motorway footage today in variable weather conditions and whilst you can read the numberplate directly in front of you, the rest of the picture would be useless for evidence.

I'm not sure whether to go through all the delay and expense of returning the camera for a refund, or to just ebay it myself along with the sample video so that people exactly what they're getting. If I got £50/£60 then I wouldn't really have lost out and I know many poeple can't be bothered with the whole process of ordering from HK/CN.

Can you recommend any ebay sellers that would provide a "genuine" GS2000 or orange GS1000 or do you have any tips for being able to tell from the advert? I thought because the picture menu was orange on this item, I was onto a winner.

Thanks!

Hi Bork,

Based on the firmware and location of the date/time and speed this is not an authentic "orange menu" GS2000. It appears to be a "blue menu" camera with a poor lens. There are fake orange menus right now so it is important to buy from a vendor who lists the firmware version (or provides the firmware version via correspondence). I would try to get some money back from the seller or return the item. eBay is pretty good for buyer protection.

For the GS1000, you can find authentic GS1000 from these vendors.

For the GS2000, search on Aliexpress for GS2000, sorted by # of orders. Look for ones that have sold a lot AND where the vendor indicates which firmware comes with the camera.

Dash Cam Man

Hi bork,

Another member, Vanxkx, found the same vendor selling the "Orange Menu" GS1000 camera which appears to be a blue menu as well.

I have updated the main GS1000 page to warn others.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Dash Cam Man

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
krawler GSXXXX 10
vyper1 GSXXXX 20
Back