Porsche DashCam

Fairynuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware Q800 Pro
I presume this 'Porsche' cam is made by one of the established manufacturers - I'd be interested to know which one?

Attachments

• Porsche DashCam.png
    Porsche DashCam.png
    419.7 KB · Views: 39
Same camera for for Audi. I did a brief search but could not find out who the actual manufacturer was for them..

696c393491ca0de546a6203964a12fcd.jpeg

Found this shot of the SN# plate but it's probably not very helpful either.
131445b1_83be_4fdc_bfa6_71742beaf391_7a505fdc7733b4c04460e4868d01fd40b1d6a355.jpeg

It do say Korea, that narrow it down some.
It do look as if it is their own design housing.

That's an interesting sliding mount with an offset camera. I wonder what the camera spec is?

I’d looked at the Audi version of this dashcam and it’s seriously expensive and the features are pretty limited, though it looks to have a radar module similar to the Thinkware U1000. It used to be 1080p, but now it’s 1440p. Looking online it’s $500-$600+ for the AudiUTR dashcam, plus installation which is evidently pretty involved to get it to integrate with your vehicle.

You can Google for reviews and sample footage.

I'm not sure who manufacturers it and I'm guessing Audi/Porsche wouldn't wanna say since they're wanting it to be an OEM product. :) The radar feature makes me wonder if it's Thinkware-related, but the app design looks very different than the Thinkware app, not that that necessarily means anything, heh.

Last edited:
It's Sunplus / iCatchtek based like the new Mobius 4k and looks like the Sony Exmor IMX335 sensor which matches the QHD spec (y)
Okay I gotta ask, how on earth do you figure this all out, lol? I love that you know these technical details for so many dashcams and I really appreciate you sharing them with us. (I'm going to reference you in my upcoming DR900X Plus vid for sensor/SoC info you shared earlier, by the way.) :)

Okay I gotta ask, how on earth do you figure this all out, lol? I love that you know these technical details for so many dashcams and I really appreciate you sharing them with us. (I'm going to reference you in my upcoming DR900X Plus vid for sensor/SoC info you shared earlier, by the way.) :)
No worries, I work in infosec / cyber / cloud and quite often have to pull things apart these days to see what makes them tick.

The nice folks at Porsche have a full copy of the firmware in their Android APK named DashcamFW.muf which is pushed to the camera if it is out of date, it's unencrypted so once you have the firmware you can then see which sensors are supported and try and work it backwards to what meets the spec.

The firmware headers indicate Sunplus and then you can grep it for keywords - it's the iCatch v50 from the look of it - https://www.icatchtek.com/ProductContent/821b81be3f454b7d99c831dec5664ba9

It's Sunplus / iCatchtek based like the new Mobius 4k and looks like the Sony IMX335 sensor which matches the QHD spec (y)
I presume Porsche / Audi done their homework and sourced a decent cam in which case why have I never heard of Sunplus / iCatchtek ?

Those are actually pretty cheap Chinese brands, stuff you often see in cheap action cameras and so on.
But anyone if free to up their game, i will only encourage that on any level, and Apple have set the trend on putting something together and then sell it for 2 X the manufacturing cost, and if you can do that, you should also do that.

Here is a little more info from suncoastparts.com ($475)

The Porsche Dashcam is suitable for making videos of driving situations and parking manuvers. It is operated via a special app in which all settings can be carried out. Recorded videos are saved on the supplied SD card and continuously overwritten. If the Dashcam detects a strong vibration or the radar sensor is triggered, the recorded video is stored separately and is not overwritten. Recordings can be downloaded directly from the SD card or via the app.

"Drive" Mode:
Recording begins automatically when the engine is started. If a vibration event occurs, the 10 seconds before the event and the time after the event are stored separately. The vibration sensor can be disabled for filming on the race track using the "Continuous" setting in the app.

"Park" mode:
During parking manuvers, the Dashcam is in sleep mode but ready for operation. Recording is triggered by the radar sensor or the vibration sensor. The duration and scope of sleep mode vary depending on the vehicle model and equipment.

Details:
  • Video recording in QHD
  • Audio recording (can be disabled)
  • GPS sensor
  • Radar sensor for recording a video if an object approaches the vehicle (depending on vehicle model and equipment)
  • Vibration sensor (depending on vehicle model)
  • Lens with polarization filter for reducing reflections and improving color and contrast
  • Windscreen bracket for secure mounting
  • Includes camera and mounting and vehicle cable set
Intended for models pre-wired for this option, but can be retrofitted to cars which are not prewired:
  • All Taycan models
  • All Boxster models - 2017-2022
  • All Cayman models - 2017-2022
  • All 911 Carrera models - 2020-2022
  • All Macan models - 2019-2022
  • All Panamera models - 2017-2022
  • All Cayenne models - 2019-2022

You can have one of these fitted by your friendly Porsche dealer for the bargain price of £880 !!!
If you can afford the car you can afford the camera. ;)

Hehe that is probably what they are thinking :unsure:
Danish Porsche and Audi drivers sure can, they pay for 2 cars just to get the one car.
Really buying a high end car / any car in Denmark, well clearly you have 1 of 2 things going.
1: you have too much money
2: you are so not financial responsible.

What would you do if you met a guy with the same car as you have, but he paid more than 2 times more for it,,,,, personally i would laugh my ass off.

Actually, the dashcam is around $500 and dealer installation is $700. Comparable to an oil change for Porsche :) If you ask Ferrari owners, it's a bargain. It's all relative...

At the top level of any game, if you cannot afford the price without question then you can't yet afford to be in the game :cautious: I've been involved with the building of fancy homes for the super-rich; if they want something in particular they will pay whatever is asked for it, but nobody else screams as loud about the prices for the basics :( They'll haggle over the car price but not the cam price even though they preobably know nothing about either one :rolleyes:

Phil

Back