Porsche DashCam

I am spending more than i need to on some things, i did on fishing equipment in the 90ties, and really the 4X4 pickup and later SUV, really i did not need that large cars, for those 2 cars i only put the size to test 1 time, and that was going to northern Sweden for a 2 week fishing trip, that did fill up my pickup to a level it was good it was a EXT cabin.
people must of course also use their hard earned money on what they like, after all i am not a commie. but i think we can all disagree on spending's some times from some personal perspective.
If i won a poo load of money in the lottery, i would not build a large house, but i might well build a small but still expensive house, and i would buy a large car ( literally ) but most likely none of the cars other lotto winners would buy.
I also think i might build a machine shop by my house with machines costing more than what would be reasonable.

Porsche Macan owner here.. not sure i'd spend money on this without knowing what the quality is like. Sure the "integration" sounds nice.. but I think 3rd party cams are much better tech & price wise. But, I can see this as a huge accessory upsell for new Porsche buyers.

No worries, I work in infosec / cyber / cloud and quite often have to pull things apart these days to see what makes them tick.

The nice folks at Porsche have a full copy of the firmware in their Android APK named DashcamFW.muf which is pushed to the camera if it is out of date, it's unencrypted so once you have the firmware you can then see which sensors are supported and try and work it backwards to what meets the spec.

The firmware headers indicate Sunplus and then you can grep it for keywords - it's the iCatch v50 from the look of it - https://www.icatchtek.com/ProductContent/821b81be3f454b7d99c831dec5664ba9

You open their firmware in a hex editor when you said the headers?

At the top level of any game, if you cannot afford the price without question then you can't yet afford to be in the game :cautious: I've been involved with the building of fancy homes for the super-rich; if they want something in particular they will pay whatever is asked for it, but nobody else screams as loud about the prices for the basics :( They'll haggle over the car price but not the cam price even though they preobably know nothing about either one :rolleyes:

Phil

First world problems. I would imagine Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates don't haggle. Probably the "Millionaires" with some money but not Hollywood / Tech Rich. These guys don't stay Moderately wealthy by tossing away their money freely!

I like this one much better. Not sure about the quality, but integration looks much better.

I have the FitCamX on my Volvos (XC90 and XC40).

I really like them. The integration and totally invisible wires are paramount to me.

It is not the most fully feature camera, but does the basic well enough for me.

Suncoast Note: For cars with wireless Apple CarPlay, you lose wireless capability when using the Dash Cam. You will have to connect your phone via cable while using the Dash Cam.

pretty big downside imo.

Back