Porsche Driver Got a Little Close

thomas-dash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo 4k, Viofo MT1
It doesn't seem very close by the dash cam video, but I thought the Porsche was going to hit the left side of my bumper when I was watching them in my rearview and side mirrors. It definitely gave me an uncomfortable feeling watching them fly up behind me to cut in front of the car in the left lane. I tried to accelerate to give the Porsche driver extra room to maneuver. Unfortunately with drivers like this, there doesn't seem to be much you can do to avoid them as they'll drive all over the road.

What's the best way to improve night video quality? I assume I would have to change the EV settings, but does that degrade the daytime video quality? Is the best way to have two sets of dash cams with one optimized for daytime recording and the other optimized for nighttime?

What's the best way to improve night video quality?
Clean the windows and use the wipers, especially at the rear!

The default settings are about as good as you can get, adjusting the EV won't help much for evidence purposes.

It may be worth adjusting the monitor used for viewing the footage, if it is appearing too dark, or watching the video at night/in a dark room so that you can see the darker areas properly.

I tried to accelerate to give the Porsche driver extra room to maneuver. Unfortunately with drivers like this, there doesn't seem to be much you can do to avoid them as they'll drive all over the road.
Best to ignore them, he/she had already plotted their path before you accelerated; you doing unexpected things is increasing the chances of a misjudgement or misunderstanding leading to an accident. If you want to do something about their driving then report them to the police and provide the dashcam evidence. What the police do will depend on where you are, here your video would be sufficient evidence for them to do something, quite likely a mandatory driving course.

I would not go messing with EV settings unless you have some tint to deal with, i dont have that on my car so i never touched EV

If you crank up EV to make night time footage brighter ( it will have no say on detail capture ) then those changes are also in effect for the daytime, and might overexpose that footage.

On rainy / wet days my rear camera are suffering too, but i will get a new wiper put on there when the car go in for a checkup and biannual inspection next month.

If you do not have a rear wiper, then like all others that are in the same situation, rear camera footage will often be hampered, and might only be somewhat alleviated by using things that give the glass hydrophobic properties, things like rain X and so forth.

Not much you can do about these people, other than keep your own situational awareness up.
I had a guy yesterday bulk overtaking, and only by "throwing" his car in behind me and in front of the car behind me did he not have a head on collision with a on coming car, i did what i could and pulled very close to the car in front of me towing a trailer, so the idiot had soma space.
But it was very close indeed, and i have also saved the recording, now i just need to set up a new youtube channel dedicated to dashcam captures.

There did that just now.

Last edited:
I had a guy yesterday bulk overtaking, and only by "throwing" his car in behind me and in front of the car behind me did he not have a head on collision with a on coming car, i did what i could and pulled very close to the car in front of me towing a trailer, so the idiot had soma space.
But it was very close indeed, and i have also saved the recording, now i just need to set up a new youtube channel dedicated to dashcam captures.

There did that just now.
I would have still kept my same following distance between me and the truck in front.
You speeding up to close the gap between you and the truck to make room for that car to merge behind you doesn't make much sense because if the car in front of you brakes suddenly, then you would have rear ended them and be held responsible for the accident.
Glad you were able to avoid this though!

Yeah it was a gamble indeed, the image dont show it that good even if it was all of the front cameras FOV, but i moved up to within 1 M / 4 feet of the trailer
I do my best to not be nice to all people all the time,,,,, as many dont deserve this, but the lines do get a bit blurred as i have to at least give people a chance.
It could be me moving up pushed him over to abandon his bulk overtaking attempt, cuz if he had not done that, we would all have been taken out.
This is the default Danish highway speed of 80km/h or 50 MPH, so it would have been a shower of glass and metal

There did that just now.
Your rear camera is looking better than most front cameras!
Scenery and colours remind me of a Microsoft Windows background.
Front and rear colours and sharpness all match!

My approach to idiots is to first take care of me, then if I can accommodate them I'll try but that presents it's own problem because it only encourages them to be stupid again. I prefer idiots to be ahead of me, not behind, so I can better keep an eye on them. The law here is that you must drive with due care and diligence, meaning that you have to avoid a crash if you can, but that does not allow or compel you to break any traffic laws to do it. I would have lifted off the throttle (and maybe even braked some if I thought whoever was behind me wouldn't over-react) instead, but then again my big old sturdily-built van give me an advantage because people think that tangling with me will leave them a whole lot worse off than tangling with something smaller. I've had small cars too, and I still take the same approach but I know that I don't have anything intimidating them to stay clear of me and I have to be ready to yield if they try to squeeze into my space.

Dashcams are made for things like this so that if something bad does happen, you can prove that you didn't do anything to cause it, and that all fault lies entirely with the idiot.

Phil

Clean the windows and use the wipers, especially at the rear!

The rear window does need a little bit of cleaning, I guess I can take a paper towel to it.

you doing unexpected things is increasing the chances of a misjudgement or misunderstanding leading to an accident. If you want to do something about their driving then report them to the police and provide the dashcam evidence.

I can how slowing down or changing lanes could increase the chance of an accident. However, speeding up is only going to lower the chance of them rear ending my car.

If you crank up EV to make night time footage brighter ( it will have no say on detail capture ) then those changes are also in effect for the daytime, and might overexpose that footage.

This is what I figured.

Back