Possible BlackVue DR650S 2CH purchase...have questions (BMW Content).

JustM3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been planning on buying a BlackVue DR650S 2 channel setup for my 2012 BMW 328i (F30). I don't necessarily need the camera to run when the car is parked but I would like that option for certain times. The Power Magic Pro cutoff is too low and taxes car battery too much. I have a MultiSafer/FineSafer which has a little bit higher cutoff but I'm still concerned about battery drain.

I really don't want to buy a Celllink B battery pack as I don't think the cost is worth what I would need it for.

Another issue/question I have is front camera placement. I've watched several videos on YouTube but it looks like they all mount the front camera underneath the rain sensor which looks tacky IMO. The back of my rear view mirror has a sensor for turning on/off automatic DRLs so I am lead to believe the BlackVue cannot be mounted directly behind it where it is out of site from drivers view. Does anyone know of a car like mine that has this camera mounted there?

Also, I've noticed that thee is a polarized lens now available for this camera. I recognize the importance of this as I have the same kind of lens on the Street Guardian dash cam in my other car but I haven't found any feedback on the lens for the BlackVue. Does anyone have feedback on that?

Got around to installing the DR650S front camera today. It was raining so I decided to do rear camera another day. I am kinda bummed that there is no way to rotate the video on the front the same way the back can. Do to a car feature camera attached to my rear view mirror I had to run the cable across the window, not a fan. Anyhow here are a couple pictures installed:

0e82cac28cf1353326467cf9cc95a8aa.jpg
08d1543374fa9e0152937e5743009d09.jpg

Also, here is a test video and I'm looking for advice on whether or not camera should be rotated up or not to get optimal hood/traffic/sky recording.

[Video]

Lastly, do any of you use the Moovika CPL filters? If so ,can you post a video comparison with it on and off?

Drop it down a bit Looks just a bit high and will result in flaring on a sunny day Ideal is 1/3 sky 2/3 road and bonnet Can you not tuck the cable up inside the front of the roof lining. You can on most cars Looks Ok from the outside.

Drop it down a bit Looks just a bit high and will result in flaring on a sunny day Ideal is 1/3 sky 2/3 road and bonnet Can you not tuck the cable up inside the front of the roof lining. You can on most cars Looks Ok from the outside.

Are you saying I should rotate the camera down or move it further down on the windshield? I could run the wire straight up but as it sits now the camera is basically invisible from drivers seat. If I ran it straight up that wire would be visible.

Looks good. I have mine mounted slightly higher on the glass. My mount is actually on the shaded part of the glass.. I went as high as I could while keeping the lens "just" under that shaded section. I also needed to move mine ~1/16" back from the glass to provide some clearance so I used a black plastic shim which I sculpted a bit to provide better contact to the curved glass and provided a flat spot for the Blackvue mount.

Looks good. I have mine mounted slightly higher on the glass. My mount is actually on the shaded part of the glass.. I went as high as I could while keeping the lens "just" under that shaded section. I also needed to move mine ~1/16" back from the glass to provide some clearance so I used a black plastic shim which I sculpted a bit to provide better contact to the curved glass and provided a flat spot for the Blackvue mount.

Can you post a mounted picture and screen shot of video?

Blackvue  end.jpg

Point the lens down a bit is what I meant to give the ratios I said

On the end of the cameras there is a word which is parallel to the centre of the lens It should be tilted about 5 degrees down from horizontal at the front.
I bet not many realize thats what its there for

End of that camera is a bit ratty as has been disassembled and batteries replaced

Last edited:
I tried rotating camera down one click and it showed way too much of my dash. I will try and move the camera further up on windshield and see if that makes a difference but with the slope of the glass at that angle I'm thinking it would show too much of my hood. Do you happen to have a screenshot of what your sky-hood ratio looks like?

This is in our rental Chrysler 300 and is near Kingman in Arizona Is actually a bit high as well but still alrightamerica.jpg

Los Angeles on same trip is a bit better You need it as high up on the screen as you can get it But yours looks Ok where it is a bit more bonnet wont hurt it stops flaring when going around a corner and stright towards the sun

LA  June2012.jpg

Queensland in Passat with camera as shown in end on shot

Queensland in Passat.jpg

Last edited:
Man, the nighttime recording on the 650S is pretty underwhelming. :sigh

I am glad my car isn't any lower than it is. By the time I saw the huge beam of wood there was nothing I could do. I heard it scrape the bottom of the car as I drove over it but it appears to be ok.

Last edited:
So no comments on what you asked for You camera is still ponted a nick too high

So no comments on what you asked for You camera is still ponted a nick too high

Sorry, thought I had. I tried moving the camera higher...it's actually as high on windshield as I can put it without having my tint strip obstructing view. If I adjust the angle of the camera one click down the camera picks up a large portion of my dash and the glare is substantial. I just ordered the moovika CPL lens but it's coming from France so it will be a week or so before I get it.

The base of my mirror is also a hindrance because I can't mount the dash cam underneath of it because it would block the forward camera used for automatic high beam function of car.

If I adjust the angle of the camera one click down the camera picks up a large portion of my dash and the glare is substantial. I just ordered the moovika CPL lens but it's coming from France so it will be a week or so before I get it..

the light colour trim will reflect a lot unfortunately so it's better not to angle it too far down in your case

the light colour trim will reflect a lot unfortunately so it's better not to angle it too far down in your case

I'm hoping the CPL filter might help.

Since it's not sunny today I angled camera lower. You can still see a lot of glare off dash.

Back