Possible defective DR500GW-HD?

If you read the forums they tell you to have only 1/3 sky The Blackvue insignia on the end is to enable you to orient the camera correctly.

Make that point down about 7 degrees and it will be about right. ITS IN THE MANUAL

Everyone blames the cameras. I reckon its a lot of ID ten T syndrome

I think sometimes when people watch it back on pc it can be that your graphics card may not be able to show the quality even though it's there

Would be a pretty poor PC that has a graphics card that cant handle a video like the camera produces.

My Monitor has 1920 x 1080 and its nearly 3 years old

dirty tactics like that annoy me

totally agree with this, its not as if Blackvue's DVR's were/are cheap, they were asking top dollar for their DVR's with results from my very cheap £39 no name chinese DVR producing just as good results that put Blackvue's DR500GW costing me £279 to shame, never again will Blackvue be getting any of my money

thank you for the link, not that I'll be buying another Blackvue product, sadly it wasn't that price in February 2013 (yes one year ago this month), I suppose the price had to come down as word spread they just wen't worth the asking price

High compression = 5 Mbps
Normal compression = 7,5 Mbps

I think the default compression rate was High.

By "compression" you mean "Image Quality" ? As far as I can see there are no "compression" settings found under Settings... I found a screenshot of those compression settings on the Web, but I don't have them. This is the menu I get:

jrqlfr.jpg

If you read the forums they tell you to have only 1/3 sky The Blackvue insignia on the end is to enable you to orient the camera correctly.

Make that point down about 7 degrees and it will be about right. ITS IN THE MANUAL

Everyone blames the cameras. I reckon its a lot of ID ten T syndrome

Where exactly in the manual? I'm not an idiot (well, I'd like to think I'm not), but the BlackVue DR500GW-HD Manual V4.03 only says "Adjust the lens angle of the camera." (page 16) I searched the PDF for "angle" and there's nothing to be found about a 7 degrees angle.

Where exactly in the manual? I'm not an idiot (well, I'd like to think I'm not), but the BlackVue DR500GW-HD Manual V4.03 only says "Adjust the lens angle of the camera." (page 16) I searched the PDF for "angle" and there's nothing to be found about a 7 degrees angle.

Sorry wrong manual Its in the 400 manual where it says to adjust it below horizontal It does show in the 500 to do it like that in a picture without the text It is also spread all over the forum where people have had troubles due to it being aligned too high.

Sorry wrong manual Its in the 400 manual where it says to adjust it below horizontal It does show in the 500 to do it like that in a picture without the text It is also spread all over the forum where people have had troubles due to it being aligned too high.

I didn't pick up the 7° angle on the forum; my dash cam was set to the horizon. Today I tilted it down one notch (don't know if that's the correct word; it's the markers on the cam). Would you say this is ok? Is it normal to see part of the dashboard?

This is the old setting:

This is the new, one notch down:

I don't know why this second video only shows 360px max. Must have done something wrong during the upload. (?) Aha! Now it's 720px. Apparently, you have to wait a while before HD kicks in?

Edit: ATM 1.080px is available, so it seems you do have have to wait a few minutes...

Another notch wouldnt hurt Like this 2/3 road 1/3 sky is about right usa.jpg That is taken in California between San Simeon & LA in a Chrysler 300.

Last edited:
Another notch wouldnt hurt Like this 2/3 road 1/3 sky is about right That is taken in California between San Simeon & LA in a Chrysler 300.

I don't know; it's a bit too much for my liking. See for yourself:

I drive a Toyota Yaris. Its front is shorter than the Chrysler and I'm also under the impression I have a larger windshield. Anyway, I still think I'm better off with my second choice, but I'll do some reading up on the subject.

Edit: My dash cam vendor has a Facebook page and so I asked my question there. He agreed with Hillbilly (of course he agreed (-: ) : 1/3 sky, 2/3 road, so my third upload should be the best.

Oh well, at least you can see my Funko Yoda Bobble-Head. (-:

830395085166_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Last edited:
The problem with the Yaris and Corollas is the long sloping windscreen and the wide dash .

He didn't agree with me LOL 1/3 2/3 is sort of accepted photographic normality.

That looks alright If its too high you get flaring coming out of shadows so what you have should be ok.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J DR500GW-HD 3
C DR500GW-HD 9
Back