Possible GPS mount failure

I'm having problems with GPS possibly not working on a Viofo A119s. The screen on the camera shows the GPS satellite indicator and 0 MPH in red but when I view the recorded video on my computer, there is no GPS data showing despite have GPS data stamp on.
I think a red indicator means GPS is on but not receiving adequate satellite data to process coordinates and speed. When processing is successful, the indicator turns Green. The initial acquisition can take several minutes. Reacquisition may be quicker. Be sure your GPS and GPS INFO menu settings are set to display the data you want.
Another question I have, is does this camera rely on the capacitor to retain system settings? If so, how long can the camera be left un-powered before settings are lost?
The camera does use capacitors to do a graceful shutdown and save the last recording when power is removed. All settings except date/time are saved in some form of onboard programmable ROM. Date/Time is kept running by a rechargeable Real-Time Clock (RTC) button battery. The Date/time may revert to default if the RTC battery is depleted or defective. Not sure how long RTC battery lasts when camera left un-powered, but I would guess at least a week or more. But GPS should update the Date/time whenever you turn the camera on and it acquires the GPS signals.

Last edited:
I think a red indicator means GPS is on but not receiving adequate satellite data to process coordinates and speed. When processing is successful, the indicator turns Green. The initial acquisition can take several minutes. Reacquisition may be quicker. Be sure your GPS and GPS INFO menu settings are set to display the data you want.

The camera does use capacitors to do a graceful shutdown and save the last recording when power is removed. All settings except date/time are saved in some form on onboard programmable ROM. Date/Time is kept running by a rechargeable Real-Time Clock (RTC) button battery. The Date/time may revert to default if the RTC battery is depleted or defective. Not sure how long RTC battery lasts when camera left un-powered, but I would guess at least a week or more. But GPS should update the Date/time whenever you turn the camera on and it acquires the GPS signals.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Good info you provided. GPS settings/info stamps double checked and all related settings are "on".

Had the camera on for an hour or more today but the GPS never did acquire signal. Beginning to wonder if the GPS mount is malfunctioning. I also had problems with the clock not keeping correct time. I use 24 hour system and the camera kept defaulting by 12 hours. I've reset it and changed the GMT to the proper zone again. I may have had the wrong zone set which was off by one hour. Nonetheless, I can't see that making a 12 hour adjustment. The time thing seems to happen when I leave the camera un-powered for for several days.

Will keep an eye on things to see if there is any change after the latest firmware update.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Good info you provided. GPS settings/info stamps double checked and all related settings are "on".

Had the camera on for an hour or more today but the GPS never did acquire signal. Beginning to wonder if the GPS mount is malfunctioning. I also had problems with the clock not keeping correct time. I use 24 hour system and the camera kept defaulting by 12 hours. I've reset it and changed the GMT to the proper zone again. I may have had the wrong zone set which was off by one hour. Nonetheless, I can't see that making a 12 hour adjustment. The time thing seems to happen when I leave the camera un-powered for for several days.

Will keep an eye on things to see if there is any change after the latest firmware update.
Be sure to manually default the cameras settings after you update.

"Be sure to manually default the cameras settings after you update."

Thanks.

Did that.

Be sure to manually default the cameras settings after you update.

Just spent twenty minutes trying to acquire GPS satellites with no luck. Clear weather and unobstructed horizon to the south. Thinking the GPS mount isn't working. I get the GPS symbol and red zero mph but seemingly no signal.

Just spent twenty minutes trying to acquire GPS satellites with no luck. Clear weather and unobstructed horizon to the south. Thinking the GPS mount isn't working. I get the GPS symbol and red zero mph but seemingly no signal.
Is this issue new since you updated to V2.6?

Is this issue new since you updated to V2.6?

No. The GPS seems to have stopped working approx. one week ago. I've owned it for about a month and it was hit & miss with the GPS since new. I updated the firmware yesterday to see if that would help.

If the GPS is defective, would it still show the GPS icon and "0 mph" on the screen?

Wondering if the vendor would replace the GPS mount only if it is in fact defective? The camera otherwise seems to be working well. Don't want to go through all of the hassle of packing & shipping everything if it's just the GPS mount that has failed. Going to do some more testing to confirm that it's dead then look into replacement. Considering the shipping costs here, it would likely be more economic and convenient to just order a new GPS mount.

Edit:

I just took the camera/GPS outside, placed it on the balcony (facing north) and plugged it in to a power source. Within a minute the red zero went to green, indicating satellite acquisition. The only thing different was that I gave the contacts between camera and mount a little shot of WD-40. Will have to watch to see if this good fortune continues?

Last edited:
No. The GPS seems to have stopped working approx. one week ago. I've owned it for about a month and it was hit & miss with the GPS since new. I updated the firmware yesterday to see if that would help.

If the GPS is defective, would it still show the GPS icon and "0 mph" on the screen?

Wondering if the vendor would replace the GPS mount only if it is in fact defective? The camera otherwise seems to be working well. Don't want to go through all of the hassle of packing & shipping everything if it's just the GPS mount that has failed. Going to do some more testing to confirm that it's dead then look into replacement. Considering the shipping costs here, it would likely be more economic and convenient to just order a new GPS mount.
Do the prongs on the GPS look ok? Not bent and all the same height? Is the GPS contact plate on the back of the camera flush with the camera back?

Do the prongs on the GPS look ok? Not bent and all the same height? Is the GPS contact plate on the back of the camera flush with the camera back?

Visually everything looks good. However, as per my edit above, there may have been enough contamination on the contact surfaces to impede proper operation. At least, that's what I'm hoping. Will have to watch to see how long the GPS works to confirm that was the problem.

Edit:

For some reason, the GPS works quickly and reliably on the north side of the building yet not at all on the south side with a clear horizon and theoretically, unobstructed signal path from satellites? It also wasn't working in our vehicles either. Not sure what the dilemma is here? Will continue testing.

Edit no. 2:

Took the camera/gps out for a test in the vehicle. Satellite acquisition was quick and secure. A remarkable change from a few days ago. Not sure if it's the new firmware or the WD-40 that did the trick. All seems to be working as intended now. Even the time is remaining constant.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Last edited:
More GPS problems with this Viofo A119s.

Drove 130 miles (210 km) and the GPS only functioned for the last 30 miles (50 km) or so. Something is definitely amiss with the GPS on this camera. Was working perfectly the day before then this. Frustrating indeed.

Will have to weigh my options. Likely most effective to order a new GPS base and skip the return policy. Shipping will cost almost as much as a new GPS mount.

Have any other Viofo owners had erratic GPS issues?

Back