Possible issue with battery?

DedaStojko

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Today I've been going through menus without camera being connected to the power source. After some time (minute or two) camera just switched off without warning or anything.
Usually I did get low battery warning but not this time. I remember that when I got it for the first time I explored menus and setting for much longer and had no problems, so this was something new.

Anyway, I've connected it to PC and it started to charge, but after 40 seconds it switched off and continue to do so no matter what I did (I tried to connect it like USB device and as a camera device).
Finally after some 10-15 connecting/disconnecting retries, camera managed to record for 15 minutes before it died again. Before that it usually died after 40 seconds no matter if recording was turned on or not.

For me this is really annoying, few days ago I've noticed that camera has died twice while I was driving. Once it did record for 30 minutes before going off and next time it died in less than a minute after starting the ignition. This has to be the same issue. Is it possible that internal battery gets drained so fast that charging it doesn't even matter?
Any suggestions how to deal with this problem?

I tried to see for how long would fully charged battery keep camera operating. Camera has reported battery low warning after approximately 90 seconds and then went out few seconds later. Once that happens it just dies each time I turn it on (without any "low battery" warning), although battery indicator shows that it is 50% full.
It's lame that battery lifetime is so short since I don't have it for more than 30 days. I've bought it from ebay dealer (http://www.ebay.com/usr/bruce_lee_dt) and it would be too expensive for me to try to get replacement and send it back to China. I'm really disappointed with quality of this camera, this surely is not plug'n'play device.
Does anybody know what battery model goes inside? Production code or something like that so that I can try to find replacement battery.

I tried to see for how long would fully charged battery keep camera operating. Camera has reported battery low warning after approximately 90 seconds and then went out few seconds later...
That has got to be a faulty battery.

It would be good to know how long other peoples batteries last for?

My 0806 records for 10 minutes on internal battery, but it has a smaller than standard battery...

If you want to replace the battery then make sure you measure the size of the current battery before ordering since there is very little spare space. Any 3.7volt lipo battery that is the same size or smaller should work OK. When you take it apart, be very gentle separating the two PCBs, work your way around several times lifting each side just a little each time until they seperate.

Thanks Nigel for reply, I'll try to open it once I get more spare time

Ok, I've managed to open camera and detach two PCBs. I see the battery and dimensions are 20mm x 30mm x 4mm. It sticks firmly to PCB, how should I remove it? Is it glued with something to PCB or what? Is it safe to use force to detach it or I have to be careful about something?
I've checked the rest of the wiring on the camera and it all looks fine to me.

24xnpec.jpg

It probably has a sheet of foam under it with sticky both sides, if you warm it up, maybe by running it for 15 minutes, then it will probably pull off easily...

I've never separated the PCBs on mine though so just guessing.

Make sure you reassemble it correctly, you don't want the battery getting punctured by all the sharp bits, the foam will be there for a good reason.

Thanks, I've ordered new battery from eBay. Hopefully I'll receive it in a few weeks and fix this thing.

Thanks, I've ordered new battery from eBay. Hopefully I'll receive it in a few weeks and fix this thing.
Might be useful for others to know what battery you are using, model number or whatever...

Assuming it works of course! Good luck.

Sure, no problem, I'll be back with more information as soon as I replace the battery.

I have finally received new battery and after replacing it everything works fine and as it should. I was thinking how was it possible for battery to drop dead after 30 days and I think that it was because of combination of heat and parking guard option turned on. Anyway here is the picture of the new battery - BEP402030P I've installed inside. So if your cameras starts to shut down suddenly without any reason and cannot turn on even when it is connected on the power source then just change the battery. This new battery cost me 10USD with shipping.

New_Battery.jpg

Could you do a test on it to see how long it will record for using the new battery and no external power please, fully charge it first, power off, remove external power, power up and start recording - see how many minutes the recorded video files contain after it powers off again.

I'll make a guess at 20 minutes... might be 40 minutes though...

Will the additional 100 mAh make any difference regarding charging times / running times ?

Will the additional 100 mAh make any difference regarding charging times / running times ?
They should both be 50% longer.

However the actual capacity of cheap batteries is often a fair way off what they are marked with. I suspect your new one may be rather higher quality than the originals but that is only a guess. It seems like a fair proportion of the originals are a long way off what they should be, and your original was presumably faulty.

If your camera doesn't have any shielding from midday sun at this time of year then stick some masking tape or something of the sort above it so that it is in shadow during the hottest part of our summer days, that will help the battery last for several years instead of maybe 1 year. Also try and park in the shade during summer, that is good for the car as well as the camera.

With first test it recorded for 15 minutes (screen turn off option set to 15 sec), but I'm not sure how long it takes to full charge the battery. I've left it connected on power source for 30minutes and when I turned it on battery indicator was full or at least what I think full indicators looks like - 1 pixel is empty at the top. I'll leave it to charge for 8 hours and then try again tomorrow in the morning.

BTW, today I've recorded a guy that came from the side street and failed to give way because he was too busy licking a popsicle.... :)

Well that is 50% longer than mine so maybe they both match their ratings :)

I think the power LED goes off when charging is complete, it is easier to see than the on screen indicator. (might depend on which firmware you have though)

after charging it for whole night the result is similar... around 15 minutes..

Hi, I ´m thinking of replacing my battery as well since my cam is showing the same symptoms... I haven't opened the case yet, but can someone tell me if there is a connector on the battery or if it's soldered to the pcb? So that I can order the right thing....

Thanks

Yes it is soldered to the PCB, but it is really easy to replace it once you open a dash-cam. I had to place my new battery upside down because wires were a bit shorter, but it works fine.

Yes it is soldered to the PCB, but it is really easy to replace it once you open a dash-cam. I had to place my new battery upside down because wires were a bit shorter, but it works fine.

Exellent, thanks!

Back