Possible SPAM?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
So I wake up this morning to this email from DashCamTalk, but when I clicked the [View this conversation] link the conversation has been removed. Is this an authorized solicitation or is it SPAM?

DashCamTalk** PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IT IS A NOTIFICATION ONLY ** ** LOG INTO THE FORUM TO REPLY FROM YOUR INBOX ** RavenManiac, Liona.lee started a new personal conversation with you at DashCamTalk.

Free GPS dash cam

Hello, we are a dashcam supplier in China. We need testers for our product.
To get a $100 dash cam 256G support for free:
Take an order on Amazon, send me your order ID.
We refund 50% of all your payment to your Paypal when you receive the product;
Share your experience on Amazon.
We refund the rest 50% of all your payment within 24 hours~
You can enjoy 18 months product warranty for the order on Amazon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 9.49.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 9.49.52 AM.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 23
I got the same one twice. By the time I logged in to DCT it had been removed from my inbox. Definitely a scam.

I had two of those this morning!

Does it matter if they are spam or not, they want your money, even if only temporarily!
If someone actually wants you to "test" their product then they will give it for free.
If they really want you to test it then they will pay you...

This afternoon I received a different message with a polite invitation and no talk of money, I assume that one is real...

Best to use the "report" link in the conversation window when this kind of thing happens so @DashCamMan can deal with it.

EDIT: I guess if the conversation was removed you wouldn't be able to click the report link but still, alerting DCM would be the best thing to do.

Last edited:
:) I, as a dashcam retailer, sent similar messages to various forum users before, my account is suspended for 2 months and just reinstated yesterday: 1), I will abide by all forum's rules; 2), Thanks again for @DashCamMan to reinstate my account :coffee: ; 3), Deeply sorry to the users I disturbed before:coffee:.

i got the same today from forum member WendyLLL.

I think some times people from the east dont realize that we in the west have had commercials screaming at us all of our life, and many of us have become very tired of it.
Me personally i have not gotten commercials on paper in my mail box for over 5 years now, and it will be illegal for anyone to personally or via telephone to contact me to try and sell me something.
I am on what we here call "the Robinson Crusoe list", meaning i want to be left alone, so contacting me can be a crime.
Actually i am ashamed that we Danes still allow for the waste that is commercials on paper, that IMO should have been banned a long time ago, and anyone that want to get my vote in a election must have this simple item on the program.

Actually ( again ) when i see a commercial billboard, and especially the LED billboards i get filled with anger and resentment towards the company name on the billboard, and the people that allow for such waste and pollution.

legal for anyone to personally or via telephone to contact me to try and sell me something.

I can invite some jehovah's witness or mormon to pass by, so you are not so lonely :smuggrin:

They tried that when i first moved to town, they have not been back since.
And i do often see them out pressing door bells.
And it was some years before i got on the Robinson Crusoe list, so i can only assume our first and only meeting left a lasting impression on them :giggle:

Lot of holy people in this town, something i have never noticed when i lived in Aarhus.

...Does it matter if they are spam or not, they want your money, even if only temporarily!...
I think in this case it may have been more scam than spam. You have to buy the camera at full price and after the fact they will credit your Paypal account for 50% and after leaving a (positive?) review you'll get the other 50%. I'd be willing to make a sizable wager that you'd never get the first 50%.

exactly what iam thinking about that

I think in this case it may have been more scam than spam. You have to buy the camera at full price and after the fact they will credit your Paypal account for 50% and after leaving a (positive?) review you'll get the other 50%. I'd be willing to make a sizable wager that you'd never get the first 50%.

I would also add "and the last 50%"

I would also add "and the last 50%"
If you do post an Amazon review, fake or not, and then get any back then it will violate the Amazon rules, and that makes what you are doing illegal, so it may cost you a lot more than the price of the camera!

Got the same message, got it twice. I'm assuming it spam, or a phishing for paypay emails. Usually when you are asked to review something it's given to you for free.

they don't give it free (at first) as they need their Amazon reviews to look genuine, if you ever wondered why there's so much junk on Amazon with heaps of positive reviews this is why, the Chinese sellers play this game all day long

witch is a waste of time, all you need is a okay product that you give good support, and it will sell itself.
I mean just look at the B1W, okay a few of us got a free one, and we quickly found out it wasent half bad at all, and it appear to be supported okay too, and i think it is flying off the shelves.

personally i would rather coam thru the internet for a couple of hours to get wiser on a product before i buy it, than spend 5 minutes reading customer reviews on sites like e bay or amazon.

I've also just had a PM (0828 GMT) from a 'WendyLLL', claiming to be in the US, and as follows:

Hello, could you please tell me what dash cam you use? I wonder if you have any interest in trying a new one? Recently, we have just launched two dash cams which can support up to 256GB micro SD card and 24H Wave Guard Parking Monitor. These functions make them the first one on the market. May I invite you to test them? If you have interest, could you please leave me your email for more details?

My response:
I use Viofo. You could PM me with the details if you like. That way we would keep this within the forum for the time being.

'Hers':
Hello Will, thank you replying, but I wonder if you could accept that place order prior to the refund?

............... I must come across as a soft touch, the English is pretty awful. If I'm unpicking the dreadful grammar properly (ha) they want me to buy it, try it, then get a refund if I don't like it.
First, they will vanish without a trace within nanoseconds of the transaction taking place, second, I'll never see the camera.

My response:
Somehow, I think the only thing that you have manufactured is that you are a manufacturer. If you are going to try and scam me, it would be better if you learn to speak/write the language properly first.
Hopefully, shortly after you receive this message, your account will be deleted.

For my money - which they won't be getting, it's a Phishing scam, probably after PayPal, or bank details.
It's a toss-up as to whether they can open new forum accounts faster than they can be deleted or blocked by the Moderators. :(
If I'm wrong (doubtful) I'll eat the humble pie and try the dashcam.

Will

I've also just had a PM (0828 GMT) from a 'WendyLLL', claiming to be in the US, and as follows:

Hello, could you please tell me what dash cam you use? I wonder if you have any interest in trying a new one? Recently, we have just launched two dash cams which can support up to 256GB micro SD card and 24H Wave Guard Parking Monitor. These functions make them the first one on the market. May I invite you to test them? If you have interest, could you please leave me your email for more details?

My response:
I use Viofo. You could PM me with the details if you like. That way we would keep this within the forum for the time being.

'Hers':
Hello Will, thank you replying, but I wonder if you could accept that place order prior to the refund?

............... I must come across as a soft touch, the English is pretty awful. If I'm unpicking the dreadful grammar properly (ha) they want me to buy it, try it, then get a refund if I don't like it.
First, they will vanish without a trace within nanoseconds of the transaction taking place, second, I'll never see the camera.

My response:
Somehow, I think the only thing that you have manufactured is that you are a manufacturer. If you are going to try and scam me, it would be better if you learn to speak/write the language properly first.
Hopefully, shortly after you receive this message, your account will be deleted.

For my money - which they won't be getting, it's a Phishing scam, probably after PayPal, or bank details.
It's a toss-up as to whether they can open new forum accounts faster than they can be deleted or blocked by the Moderators. :(
If I'm wrong (doubtful) I'll eat the humble pie and try the dashcam.

Will
I suspect WendyLLL is in China, but it is probably a real offer. It has to be done with a refund to get a verified Amazon review, and then you would be illegally breaking the Amazon rules, not them!

What puzzles me is why Wendy chose you, it is not like you are a frequent poster on the forum, or even a recent poster! Must be only interested in Amazon reviews, but they already have lots of Amazon reviews for all their cameras, including the unreleased ones, since they seem to be selling all their new cameras as versions (different colours) of their first camera and thus the good reviews for the first camera show up as validated reviews for the newest, even though they are completely different cameras and inappropriate! Makes it very difficult to find real reviews of the latest camera or to trust what is said in those reviews.

Like Kamkar said, if the cameras were really good then this wouldn't be necessary!

Back