Potential Installation Problem

MedicalFlyer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius C Lens, Mini 0906, SG9663DC Pro, A229 Plus
Hi All,

I've been burrowing the depths of these forums for a few days and find I could probably use a little help.

I've been considering getting a cam for a while on and off. Usually a case of 'what the flaming Zarquon was that?' followed by 'well, I tend not to hit anything and have cat like reflexes'. Being that I spend the best part of a 12 hour shift driving other peoples cars around an airport I consider my driving to be very good. I dare not think how many times I've nearly been smashed in to by a kamikaze cabbie, or catapulted a stealth cyclist in to the nearest bushes. Shame we're not allowed to film any of that (company policy the spoil sports)

However, I'm now set on getting a cam (would like front and rear but don't have the pennies right now). I drive 200+ miles a week just for my commute. The times I drive mean I'm often the lone sane person in a swarm of taxis, delivery trucks and all manner of lunatics. And in my short 7 years of driving I'm pretty certain I've improved while the majority have got worse.

After much intensive reading I'm thinking of going for the Mini 0806 and would like to hard wire install it in my old Astra mk IV in a fit and forget fashion. This is where I'm stuck.
My Astra has no shaded areas on the windscreen and a light grey interior. Therefore any system I install is going to be visible no matter how small. Although looking at something like the Panorama X1 might be an idea if it'd blend with the rear view mirror well enough (and the angle being suitable).
DSC_02281.jpg

As you can see from the lovely outlines left by the dirt the wipers cover a fairly large area (roughly level with the top of the mirror). I'm thinking that if I have a graduated sun visor tint applied to the top of the screen that it would give me somewhere to hide the camera but still be able to have it aimed below the tint. I know there are legal limits to such things but any tint I'd have would for example come as low as the parking permit on the passenger side so shouldn't really be considered an obstruction (well above the reach of the fitted visors). Obviously I want to stay within the law but at the same time I don't want a camera sitting there shouting 'look at me'.

Apologies for length.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions of what I could do in terms of installation (or even cameras) I'd be grateful.

Welcome to the forum !

Do you plan to install a dashcam on driver or passenger side of RV mirror.
How big is space ( cm. ) between RV mirror drivers and passenger side to the wind-shield ?
As I understand, the arm of RV mirror in your car is mounted to the ceiling part, not to the wind-shield ?

I had/have the same issue as you but I went for a A118 camera. You only really notice it if you look for it and due to its form factor it does not look like a stuck on one.

Welcome to the forum !

Do you plan to install a dashcam on driver or passenger side of RV mirror.
How big is space ( cm. ) between RV mirror drivers and passenger side to the wind-shield ?
As I understand, the arm of RV mirror in your car is mounted to the ceiling part, not to the wind-shield ?

Hi Niko,

Thanks for your super quick reply.
The mirror is mounted on the windscreen and on the driver's side there's not a lot of room behind it - I can just about get my hand between the top edge of the mirror and the screen. The bottom and passenger side offer a fair bit more room due to the angle.
Edit:
I did some measuring today and while not totally accurate here's what I have.
Top to bottom on the driver's side goes from 2cm to 10cm
Passenger side 6cm to 12cm
The mount is 3.5cm wide and stands out 2.5cm from the screen.
So not a lot of room on the driver's side but loads on the passenger side

@benje302
I've looked at the A118 as well but I think it's a bit too big for what I want. Your interior is pretty dark which helps a lot with hiding things.

As for the cam I'm undecided as yet but would like something with the following:
Good day and night performance (I do most of my driving in the dark)
1080 30fps minimum
GPS with video stamping
A functional screen for setup and checking
CPL might be required as a test with my phone shows some large reflections (see pic).
DSC_02331.jpg
Ability to disable the mic as I'm sure no one really needs to hear my in car karaoke :p

I've been skipping through the Panorama X1 thread and think that something like it might be a better idea. I could attach it just below the mirror mount then route the cable out of sight - up through the interior light fitting and down behind the a-pillar trim. I could them mount the main unit somewhere below the dash on the driver's side and wire it in to a switched feed in the fuse box ideally. Are there any reviews of that or similar units you'd recommend?

Last edited:
I took a walk at local shopping centre car and found "your Astra". Yeah, there are not much space between RVmirror and windshield, so you may need a dashcam in a shape so called "lipstick". I think you can mount X1 on both sides behind RVmirror.
I have made some quick photoshop comparison how it would look.
The only thing which X1 misses from your wishlist is GPS stamp and CPL filter, but due to X1 remote camera lens being very close to windshield, there is a big chance that dash reflection will be minimal.

Pano X1 Opel vs Passat.jpg

We are doing a version of this camera under the Street Guardian brand, we don't manufacture it, we'll do any debug and drive the firmware development though

We are doing a version of this camera under the Street Guardian brand, we don't manufacture it, we'll do any debug and drive the firmware development though
Thanks for the reply. Does the motion detection mode toggle on and off, or is it on all the time?

Thanks for the reply. Does the motion detection mode toggle on and off, or is it on all the time?

Motion detection on X1 is selectable from menu.

panorama-x2-menu-interface-2-jpg.9651

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a walk at local shopping centre car and found "your Astra". Yeah, there are not much space between RVmirror and windshield, so you may need a dashcam in a shape so called "lipstick". I think you can mount X1 on both sides behind RVmirror.

I've read through all of the X1 thread so far and think that it may be the best solution also. Your videos from the prototype seem nice and clear. A few things I would ask are:
Does it matter which way the camera is mounted - to the left or right of the mount (eg can the recording be rotated 180 degrees)?
I'd like to mount the main unit under the dash on the driver's side towards the centre console. The unit seems to only be flat on the bottom and I saw in the main thread that there's currently no screen rotation option. Is this something planned? If not I could get creative with some velcro straps to hold it the right way up.
Is a right angled connector for the camera cable still being planned/considered? If not I guess a small extension adapter could be used to keep things as discreet as possible.

Also any info on pricing for UK?
I see pre-orders are up on Pier28 at £130 with £15 minimum shipping. I'd imagine that also needs VAT paying which would bring it to around £170.

I agree, the Street Guardian SGZC12RC (aka X1 Remote Camera) is a good option for extra stealth installations. The final version is all black.

There is no 180 flip option in the settings menu yet, so you'll need to mount it the correct way. This is a good wishlist suggestion though.

We are looking into adding more microUSB cable options that have a 90 degree elbow in the future. You can use an adapter for now as well.

Last edited:
I've read through all of the X1 thread so far and think that it may be the best solution also. Your videos from the prototype seem nice and clear. A few things I would ask are:
Does it matter which way the camera is mounted - to the left or right of the mount (eg can the recording be rotated 180 degrees)?
I'd like to mount the main unit under the dash on the driver's side towards the centre console. The unit seems to only be flat on the bottom and I saw in the main thread that there's currently no screen rotation option. Is this something planned? If not I could get creative with some velcro straps to hold it the right way up.
Is a right angled connector for the camera cable still being planned/considered? If not I guess a small extension adapter could be used to keep things as discreet as possible.

Also any info on pricing for UK?
I see pre-orders are up on Pier28 at £130 with £15 minimum shipping. I'd imagine that also needs VAT paying which would bring it to around £170.

L-shape connector is on the wishlist I proposed it here:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/wishlist-for-panorama-x2-vote-debate-comment.9560/#post-118320

You may try L-shape microusb extension adapter but it does not have to be an OTG, just standard one.

I do not provide a pre-orders yet. I want fully test new batch and only then start selling them. Will have stock next week, then we can talk. Delivery to UK from Ireland is 2 working day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Niko and Pier28

If the pricing ends up being in line with Pier 28 I'd probably have to skip it for now. I'd certainly keep an eye on the product development for a stealth upgrade later on.

Thanks Niko and Pier28

If the pricing ends up being in line with Pier 28 I'd probably have to skip it for now. I'd certainly keep an eye on the product development for a stealth upgrade later on.

As soon as all tests are finished for new batch and everything is OK, then I will announce.

Thanks Niko and Pier28

If anything it would be dearer, the taxes and duties are cheapest for the U.S. everyone else gets slammed

Back