YourAuntDarla

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey all,

First time poster here from Canada. Bought a 2016 VW GTI and will be parking it outside so need a good front/rear setup with parking mode.

Looking at getting either a Blackvue DR590 (Buffered parking mode) or Viofo A129 (timelapse - always recording). The climate here ranges from quite hot (30C) in the summer to quite cold (-20C) in the winter. Quite reluctant to hardwire anything to my car’s battery/fusebox so I’m thinking about going with the Power Magic Battery from BlackVue or the Cellink B (refurbished) from BlackboxMyCar.

Wondering this: Would these setups cover me for overnight parking? I usually drive every day but car will be parked for anywhere from 10-15 hours at a time nightly.

And also - car is under warranty which I don’t want to screw with so would likely be getting a dealer to install or just try to do my best cable management without taking things apart. What kind of kits/cables would I need to make cameras work with the batteries?

Thanks in advance for reading and for any replies!

Snow / rain can obscure your footage at times, frost / snow ASO on the windscreen can give camera away as camera can defrost windscreen near it.

For hardwire you normally piggy back on fuses, but as yours are a newer VW you might need to have one of the wires off the battery itself due to smarts in many EURO cars can be a bit too smart for parasitic drains like dashcams in parking mode.
Some cameras come with the piggy back adapters in all of the sizes, others you have to know what fuses you have and order the correct one for your needs.
This is a non intrusive way of tapping into power so if the fuse taps are not there i doubt any dealer would know they have been there in the first place, you should not need to cut or meddle with any of the cars wires.

If at all possible i would recommend a CCTV camera on the car when parked at home, it is a better solution i feel ( i have this with a PTZ network camera on my balcony door, but if you have a fixed spot to park a regular camera with some level of manual zoom and focus will be fine and cheaper )

if when parked up for the night, is this on your own driveway (off road parking)? if so then my suggestion is to get yourself a trickle charger, these aren’t just battery chargers

These are as the name suggests, trickle charge your battery and in fact condition your battery, it’ll give your battery that little extra charge and keep your battery in good health

I keep my car on one of these trickle chargers while it’s off the road over the whole winter, also as mentioned, if it’s parked of road on your own driveway you might do without having it in parking mode while on the drive

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately I’m parking it on the street near my house and there are no guarantees that I will be within reach of any CCTV camera I could mount, in fact it’s quite unlikely. Which also rules out a trickle charger.

Which is why I’m hoping to get a DR590 2CH or a Viofo 129 with some sort of powerbank.

Good to know about camera defrosting the windshield - my car also has a block of sensors under the front mirror which I’m not sure if I can use to mount a camera on. I’d likely get the 3-wire hardwire cable to plug into to a powerbank.

Just wondering if anyone here has thoughts on whether either of those batteries could power a duel channel setup? And if people prefer one camera over the other...

Thanks!

Yes street parking can be a issue, it is also possible i cant have "my" parking place in the back yard, so also why i got a PTZ camera cuz then i can always re-frame, not least as i am also zoomed in on my car so to be able to identify a person next to my car.
And i had a few times where i have had other funny little things, like when the people out back in the house had a visit by the cops looking for drugs ( the Danish way so just 2 cops and a dog )
So i was able to stick my nose in it.

Maybe one solution could be using a battery power pack for the A129 using the USB 5v charger

the power pack when not powering the A129 can be charged ready for use when the parking mode is used, I had heard one make of these USB power packs that can be charged while powering, but most only do one or the other

I see the Blackvue has the optional “Power Magic Battery Pack” for use in parking mode if you don’t want to power the Blackvue by the car battery in parking mode

A 20000mah powerbank will easily run the A129 overnight. The current draw when recording is less than 1A.

I can't comment from experience on the cellink or the pmp, but you will need to drive for long enough each day to charge them so they will run the camera all night.

Hey all,

First time poster here from Canada. Bought a 2016 VW GTI and will be parking it outside so need a good front/rear setup with parking mode.

Looking at getting either a Blackvue DR590 (Buffered parking mode) or Viofo A129 (timelapse - always recording). The climate here ranges from quite hot (30C) in the summer to quite cold (-20C) in the winter. Quite reluctant to hardwire anything to my car’s battery/fusebox so I’m thinking about going with the Power Magic Battery from BlackVue or the Cellink B (refurbished) from BlackboxMyCar.

Wondering this: Would these setups cover me for overnight parking? I usually drive every day but car will be parked for anywhere from 10-15 hours at a time nightly.

And also - car is under warranty which I don’t want to screw with so would likely be getting a dealer to install or just try to do my best cable management without taking things apart. What kind of kits/cables would I need to make cameras work with the batteries?

Thanks in advance for reading and for any replies!

A129 with firmware version 1.5 supports park mode with live video record. Or you could out for a reduced Frame Per Second (10,15, etc).

Back