Power and Parking Mode question

Drizzt321

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does the Parking Mode REQUIRE the SGX2HW kit? Or if I have anything which provides continuous 5v@2a power, it'll run fine off of that? Say, something like this battery pack in the glove box, hooked up to a car charger that charges when the car is on? So, in theory, with a larger battery pack could I configure it to run for a few days if left parked somewhere over a long weekend?

So the kit actually provides power in a different way when the car is shutoff vs running? How does it detect that and how does it provide power differently?

it's a 3 wire connection, there are two power inputs, B+ and ACC, when ACC is present there are 2 power input signals over USB at the camera to tell it to record in normal mode, when the ACC is cut there is one power input over USB to the camera which tells it to switch to parking mode, running it off a power bank it can't switch modes

Hm, interesting, makes sense. Never thought about that, but neat way to do that. But it's USB mini-B, right? Are you talking about using Pin 4, the ID pin (http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/mini-USB_pinout.shtml) to detect? So that'd be +5v to both Pin 1 & Pin 5 to indicate car is on, and then +5v to Pin 1 to indicate car is off, so Parking Mode?

How do you differentiate using a regular car power plugged into a cigarette lighter? Wouldn't that just provide power on Pin 1, and so indicate parking mode? Or do you have a custom cable, and so we can never use a regular USB power cable with the camera?

However, if I wanted to let it KEEP running on full record (e.g. full FPS), I could just simply keep giving it full power via external battery pack, and avoid parking mode entirely? Not a good idea if it's drawing off of the car battery, but off of a secondary battery makes sense. Potentially include a transistor/switch that, when the battery pack starts running down, triggers the parking mode.

there is a different menu setting for 2 wire or 3 wire input

if you ran it off a power bank it would just record in normal mode all the time, won't hurt your car battery, not good for the camera though

This is related to parking mode issue. Still trying to diagnose this. I had an installer to install the hardwire kit for my new SGGCX2 PRO+ yesterday. Returned it later yesterday because the camera would completely shut off when ignition was turned off and would not power-up manually with ignition off. He reviewed the kit instructions and claimed the install was correct. This morning I started the vehicle and the camera powered up but time and date reverted to 0’s. He hardwired the kit to upfltter panel and I’m thinking he didn’t connect the yellow wire to a constant source perhaps thinking the source was constant but in fact a RAP source OR he reversed the yellow and red wires. Parking mode is selectable when vehicle running but not working when ignition off. I don’t see a “PM” icon displayed when ignition off as the unit is totally turned off and won’t manually turn on. I did select 2-wire power source and connected the camera to a constant 12V power outlet and the camera works but obviously without parking mode. Any other suggestions?

if you can access parking settings when the car is running then you have both wires connected, if it turns off with the car and can't be turned on manually when the car is off then the permanent power (yellow wire) is wrong, what car is it and do you know which fuses he tapped?

It is a 2018 GMC Sierra truck. I don’t know what he tapped, just said he tapped the Upfitter panel under the dash. It worked fine when I temporarily tapped fuse 2 and fuse 9 before I took it to him for install.

It is a 2018 GMC Sierra truck. I don’t know what he tapped, just said he tapped the Upfitter panel under the dash. It worked fine when I temporarily tapped fuse 2 and fuse 9 before I took it to him for install.

better have a look at what he's done, not real good if your temp install worked and the pro install doesn't, even the pros get things wrong at times though, not familiar with upfitter so not sure about that, you can find fuse panel details here https://www.autogenius.info/gmc-sierra-from-2014-fuse-box-diagram/

Some times you have to go to extremes, sadly it seem like it is often newer cars that force this.

Power fed to the upfitter switches are by default switched by accessory power. If he tied both power sources for the hardwire to them, that’s useless.

Thanks, he finally figured that out and ran the constant lead directly to the battery. Works as it should now!

Anyone here running this cam and hardwire kit with continuous parking mode only through the car battery? No worries about the parking mode draining the car battery?

what do you mean exactly?
Sorry boss. What I am trying to ask is anyone here running SGGCX2PRO + rear cam + it’s hardwire parking kit, powered only by the stock car battery, not powered by for example some power bank or auxiliary battery?

Say for example if I enable parking mode of 1 frame per second mode, and I usually park my car after work till the next morning, that’s 12 hours of parking mode recording each night, how likely this will drain the car battery?

the majority of people run them off the car battery, one of our work vehicles is setup with 12 hour timer and has been like that for over a year, how much you drive will have an influence on what sort of long term impact that will have on vehicle battery life, I've got two hardwired in my work car running parking mode but I don't run them that long, X2PRO + rear cam and GPS draws on average 195mAh in timelapse parking mode

Back