Power Bank for F800 Pro

Banji

Reaction score
Country
Israel
My 1st post here, I already invest many many hours here to decide on my new Dash Cam.
A new F800 Pro is now on the way.
I'm going to activate the parking mode using power bank.
I'm aware of the risk using it in car during high temp weather.

Wondering how to connect it to Hardwiring cable of the F800.
Going to connect the +12V of the 5V to 12V converter box to the constant cable and
12V + coming one of the ACC car fuses to the F800 ACC cable.

Probably cant connect together the negative 12V coming from the converter and the GND of the car.
Thinking to use 3 way switch to toggle between them to decide which one will go to the camera.
Will switch to connect the negative of the power bank for parking and switch over to car GND while driving.
Please look on my diagram, is that going to work?
Thanks

Attachments

• F800_parking_DIY.JPG
    F800_parking_DIY.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 24
The Acc. should always be relative to car ground, if you change to a different ground then there is a good chance it wont work reliably.
I think you need to switch the positive.

"Probably cant connect together the negative 12V coming from the converter and the GND of the car."
Not sure why not, you can treat them both as 0V, but only if you don't charge the powerbank from the car since the 0V in to the powerbank is likely to be a different voltage from the 0V out and the 0V out of the converter is different again.

Thanks for fast reply. The Acc will be looped to the car GND while driving using the manual switch so no issue there.

I do want to charge the power bank while driving, this is also going to automatically switch off the power bank output once I will start the engine.
My idea is have isolated 12v power that will come from the power bank while parking.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Then use a 2 pole switch so that you switch both + and -, and actually disconnect either car or powerbank. Maybe that should be 3 pole to include the Acc.

The in and out 0 volts of a powerbank/converter should never be connected since the 0 volt connection is often used for measuring current flow and connecting in and out will bypass the measurement circuitry.

Based on your feedback I will use a relay. The relay power will come from the acc. As long there is live acc the relay will connect the GND and acc coming from the car. Once the Acc will turn off, the relay will disconnect the Acc input and GND and will connect instead both the positive and negative power coming from the convertor to the constant input and GND.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That sounds sensible.

I don't know the camera though so can't be sure it will work.

I have the F800 Pro and the camera has a setting to prevent you from draining the batter while in parking mode. For the heat....well you could try a tint, or ......I'm thinking some sort of heat shield material you could wrap the camera in, or vinyl for it to still be stealthy and take on less heat.

Short update, I was able to connect the F800 pro and activate the parking mode.
For those who will try to use power bank as a source for parking mode, you should be aware
that if the switch over from car battery to the power bank will take more then ~ 2 Sec ( time to discharge the internal capacitor)
the camera will go into off position and will not go into the parking mode even if you are providing 12V to the
constant wire.

Back