power bank when parked up...

Send it back? I only opened the box half an hour ago! Anyway the RAV is about half an inch too long for the protective case I also bought, so I'd have to return that too. If the Aukey dies within the 24 month warranty, I'll replace it with something different.

Also note that the Aukey has a built-in flashlight ;)

One of my power banks has a "built-in flashlight", just a simple white LED actually. I find it to be virtually useless compared to a "real" flashlight and more of a pain in the ass if you must know because it is far too easy to turn it on accidentally and then I have to futz with the damn thing to turn it off. :mad:

That Aukey should be fine and I think it will give you years of good service. Use it in good health. :)

Returning the 20000mAh Li-Ion Aukey
Ordered the 22000mAh Li-Polymer RAVPower :)

Returning the 20000mAh Li-Ion Aukey
Ordered the 22000mAh Li-Polymer RAVPower :)
Apparently the Aukey 20000mah is also Li-polymer.

The Ravpower arrived before I got around to returning the Aukey, so I could compare them.
IMG_20170413_204911324_HDR-01.jpeg
Despite the larger capacity, the RAVPower is more sleek with rounded corners, and fits much better into the case I ordered - although I am now keeping it in the supplied mesh bag which gives more convenient access to the ports on the end. It feels more solidly built too. The downside is that it is rather slippery.
IMG_20170413_204753902_HDR-01.jpeg

@TonyM, have you considered keeping both of them? I find having multiple power banks rather useful in a number of ways. For one thing, you can keep one charged up while the other is being used which adds to the convenience. Also, because I live in a rural area where the electricity goes out periodically, (on rare occasions even days at a time) having several power banks handy has been a boon in ways I hadn't anticipated when I bought them as it's great to be able to charge tablets and cell phones during an outage without having to run my 8kW generator; but that's another story entirely.

Two of my original generic power banks have a rather glossy black finish on them and I guess I could categorize them as "slippery" but I haven't really found this to be an issue.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend running power banks while they are inside any kind of case or bag because they can get warm. It's not the batteries that get hot but the electronics that run them. Sometime when you have operated a camera with a power bank for a couple of hours run your hand over it and you'll likely find that the area where the PCB is located inside the power bank housing will be quite warm.

P.S. I like that case you found! :)

Last edited:
I have an update of sorts too..

The Romoss one though well made had a slight finishing imperfection around one of the moulded corners, sent it back.

The 8700mAh Li-Polymer one from Sony said Li-Polymer (with Hybrid Gel technology) on the box but the unit itself said Li-Ion and was unusually big for a 8700mAh LiPo power bank, sent it back too.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Have reordered the Romoss.

Last edited:
Interestingly, there's nothing printed on the ravpower unit, on the box or in the user manual to say what battery type it has. Only the website describes the features in detail.

The 8700mAh Li-Polymer one from Sony said Li-Polymer (with Hybrid Gel technology) on the box but the unit itself said Li-Ion and was unusually big for a 8700mAh LiPo power bank, sent it back too.

Technically speaking a lithium-polymer battery IS a Lithium-ion battery so they're not really being untruthful. A Li-Po battery is chemically the same as a Li-ion but the way it is packaged is merely different.
I think chances are that the Sony is in fact "Hybrid Gel". Maybe the gel requires more volume to do it's thing?

@TonyM, have you considered keeping both of them? I find having multiple power banks rather useful in a number of ways. For one thing, you can keep one charged up while the other is being used which adds to the convenience. Also, because I live in a rural area where the electricity goes out periodically, (on rare occasions even days at a time) having several power banks handy has been a boon in ways I hadn't anticipated when I bought them as it's great to be able to charge tablets and cell phones during an outage without having to run my 8kW generator; but that's another story entirely.

Two of my original generic power banks have a rather glossy black finish on them and I guess I could categorize them as "slippery" but I haven't really found this to be an issue.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend running power banks while they are inside any kind of case or bag because they can get warm. It's not the batteries that get hot but the electronics that run them. Sometime when you have operated a camera with a power bank for a couple of hours run your hand over it and you'll likely find that the area where the PCB is located inside the power bank housing will be quite warm.

P.S. I like that case you found! :)
Yes, I've considered keeping both batteries. Under testing, the Aukey charges my phone almost twice as fast as the Ravpower, which is worth something. However we already have the Aukey 15000mAh that I gave to my wife, and I have a backup 3000mah anker that I got as a freebie, so I'm not sure I really need any more.

I don't use my powerbank every day. Probably 2-3 times a week for a few hours. The case is more useful to keep it safe from knocks when stored in the car, plus keep loose cables and cards readers together and tidy.

This is the case I bought x2, first for my 15000mAh then again for this new battery.

EC Technology Power Bank EVA Bag Case Pouch for EC Technology 224000mAh External Battery, Anker 20000mAh/16000mAh Power Bank, USB Drive etc. - Black

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01DUDPZ1C

Technically speaking a lithium-polymer battery IS a Lithium-ion battery so they're not really being untruthful. A Li-Po battery is chemically the same as a Li-ion but the way it is packaged is merely different.
I think chances are that the Sony is in fact "Hybrid Gel". Maybe the gel requires more volume to do it's thing?

You're most probably right about the gel requiring more space but the size and weight was simply unacceptable for a 5000mAh @ 5V unit. With neither the time and inclination to take it down to an exclusive Sony store and get some confirmation about its authenticity (which I had started doubting too), just returned it and went for the lighter and sleeker unit from Romoss.

Last edited:
Yes, I've considered keeping both batteries. Under testing, the Aukey charges my phone almost twice as fast as the Ravpower, which is worth something. However we already have the Aukey 15000mAh that I gave to my wife, and I have a backup 3000mah anker that I got as a freebie, so I'm not sure I really need any more.

I don't use my powerbank every day. Probably 2-3 times a week for a few hours. The case is more useful to keep it safe from knocks when stored in the car, plus keep loose cables and cards readers together and tidy.

This is the case I bought x2, first for my 15000mAh then again for this new battery.

EC Technology Power Bank EVA Bag Case Pouch for EC Technology 224000mAh External Battery, Anker 20000mAh/16000mAh Power Bank, USB Drive etc. - Black

Yeah, it sounds like you're all set for power banks. :)

You're most probably right about the gel requiring more space but the size and weight was just unacceptable for a 5000mAh @ 5V unit. With neither the time and inclination to take it down to an exclusive Sony store and get some confirmation about its authenticity (which I had started doubting too), just returned it and went for the lighter and sleeker unit from Romoss.

Makes sense. I think I would do the same.

Yeah, it sounds like you're all set for power banks. :)
I actually considered using one to charge another today! :eek:
I was running out of ways to intentionally drain my new 22000mah battery as part of conditioning it. Should have just left it running the GC on my drive all day.

Thanks for the link! I may buy one for a bank that is currently in a cloth bag. My other power banks are in Pelican "like" padded hard cases I bought from DealExtreme quite some time ago which I quite like. I have quite a number of them in several sizes and use them for different types of gear. They're perfect for battery banks.

case.png

I was running out of ways to intentionally drain my new 22000mah battery as part of conditioning it. Should have just left it running the GC on my drive all day.

Using one to charge the other almost sounds a bit kinky but I like it. :p

I just did that with a 3/4 charged 20000mah pack - took about 36 hours.

Using one to charge the other almost sounds a bit kinky but I like it. :p
Hmmm....

Use pack number 1 to charge pack number 2 - while pack number 2 is being used to charge pack number 1. Perpetual motion at an electron level? :D

Hmmm....

Use pack number 1 to charge pack number 2 - while pack number 2 is being used to charge pack number 1. Perpetual motion at an electron level? :D

Which position are we talking about here? :D

This conversation reminds me of a dirty math joke I heard.

What's the square root of 69?

...........................eight something. :D

Back