Power cable question

rotordrew

Country
United States
So I just bought this dash cam, coming from a Grdian Dfender+. I know, cheapie, and it definitely performed like one. My only problem is that in my Explorer, the cigarette lighter power does not turn off.

I would like to power the 55 with a USB to micro USB cable. Will that suffice?

Thanks!

Country
United States
No because it only works with proprietary Garmin chargers. But you could get a hardwire kit and wire it to a fuse that only gets power when the engine is running

Country
United States
That's not the case - I have run the 55 from a generic USB charger, albeit one that claims to provide 2.1A if required. I have not yet measured the draw of the dashcam. I'll note that if you connect it to a USB port that can provide data access, then the 55 will switch to "mass storage" mode and won't operate as a camera.

You can (and I do) power the 55 from Garmin's proprietary "parking mode" cable, which is the only way to get it to switch to parking mode when parked. This is a hardwire connection. Otherwise, a decent USB power supply and cable should work fine, though you likely won't get the advantage of the right-angle connector on Garmin's cable.

Country
United States
That's not the case - I have run the 55 from a generic USB charger, albeit one that claims to provide 2.1A if required. I have not yet measured the draw of the dashcam. I'll note that if you connect it to a USB port that can provide data access, then the 55 will switch to "mass storage" mode and won't operate as a camera.

You can (and I do) power the 55 from Garmin's proprietary "parking mode" cable, which is the only way to get it to switch to parking mode when parked. This is a hardwire connection. Otherwise, a decent USB power supply and cable should work fine, though you likely won't get the advantage of the right-angle connector on Garmin's cable.
That's strange! I have a couple 45 and one 65W and none work without the Garmin charger. They say something like "This USB cable cannot be used to power your Garmin dashcam, please use a Garmin cable". But I did leave a 45 plugged in after updating the firmware and after a few hours it started recording on its own