Power consumption in parking mode ... (too high)

coolVariable

Reaction score
Country
United States
I figured it may be more appropriate to start a new thread. I previously posted this in the parking mode thread ...
"Parking mode" does not seem to do much in terms of saving the battery life of the vehicle. Probably only good for the SD card as it writes less ...

Tested the custom firmware with default Wifi On:
While recording: 5.14V / 0.34A = 1.75W
While in parking mode: 5.12V / 0.32A = 1.64W

Tested the custom firmware with default Wifi Off:
While recording: 5.12V / 0.25A = 1.28W
While in parking mode: 5.11V / 0.24A =1.23W

The above numbers are very optimistic as the amperage and voltage differs from second to second. Could probably be off by 0.05W or so, since I tried to err on the side of less battery consumption.
This is with the custom firmware which turns on parking mode upon detecting no movement.
Would be nice if the camera actually just recognized different power modes as provided by most hardwire kits (ie a constant power line for parking mode and an "on/off" power line for driving mode.

Would be nice if the camera actually just recognized different power modes as provided by most hardwire kits (ie a constant power line for parking mode and an "on/off" power line for driving mode.

The first firmware did this with a 3-wire kit but put the cam into "G-sensor" mode, not time-lapse. If that part of the code is still intact it would need to be changed in your case.

Phil

The first firmware did this with a 3-wire kit but put the cam into "G-sensor" mode, not time-lapse. If that part of the code is still intact it would need to be changed in your case.

Phil
That doesn't save a huge amount of power though, around 0.95 watts in parking mode, not recording.

The B1W is one of the least power hungry dashcams, the only one I've encountered that does better is the Vantrue T2 which in parking mode uses a few miliwatts, however that doesn't record in parking mode unless it sees some movement in front of the camera, it also costs considerably more while only having the same sensor.

Basically you're saying that wifi off saves more than parking mode. Maybe it would be nice if the default behaviour is Wifi-On in normal mode and auto Wifi-Off in G-sensor parking mode.

Phil

That's what I am talking about!!!
The custom firmware puts the cam in g-sensor mode when not moving. This mode is not very power efficient and doesn't make much of a difference to non parking mode!

For the manufacturer, the proposal has already been transferred, since dash does not go into sleep mode, and switching to parking mode is just stopping the recording, then the best option in this case is to make a parking mode with frame-by-frame recording. Let it not turn off, or you can turn it on manually. But this Time Lapse mode is needed, rather than just waiting for a strike and energy consumption. Just do not need to do a very complex inclusion logic. No need to automate everything. Give users a simple device at a low price and just set the switches for manual control.
But the developers, or some of the programmers do not hear it or do not understand

Back