power for dashcam 55

Andrew78

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I sometimes take my dashcam55 to record sports but the battery eventually drains when connecting a normal 5V usb external battery as it is not enough to power the cam continuously.
Does the garmin cig ligher charger supply 12V to power the cam all the time?, or a less volts?
I thought of using 12V (eg 8 x1,5V AA batteries) across pins 1 and 5 of a micro usb to keep it running - if it needs 12V.
Anyone know the correct voltage and it this should work?
Thanks
Andrew78

5V only, 1A should be enough.

thx. When I connect it to a mains powered 2A usb charger the camera still says this cable cannot power the dashcam so it seeems there is a bit more to garmin cables than just the V and A rating. I see on the micro usb specs a mention that so manufacturers use pin 4 of the connector and put a resistor between pin4 and 5 (ground).
Any idea how to make the dashcam think its got the right cable connected?

thx. When I connect it to a mains powered 2A usb charger the camera still says this cable cannot power the dashcam so it seeems there is a bit more to garmin cables than just the V and A rating. I see on the micro usb specs a mention that so manufacturers use pin 4 of the connector and put a resistor between pin4 and 5 (ground).
Any idea how to make the dashcam think its got the right cable connected?
You can either make your own (by splicing the cable and adding a resistor) or you can purchase one. It can't be very expensive.

With the cost and hassle I think it makes more sense to buy a different camera

With the cost and hassle I think it makes more sense to buy a different camera
Hassle? I don't understand. Andrew78 is trying to use it as an action camera. He'll have to do a little work to adapt it...

I would look for a better usb cable. The power from the battery pack should be adequate unless the battery itself is defective.

I used a battery doctor to test how much power a cam, cell phone, and tablet used. I discovered that one (very short) us cable only delivered 1/2 amp while other cables delivered 1 amp or more. I am fairly sure I recall seeing close to 2 amps but this test was done out of curiousty without records being made some time ago.

P.S. My computers usb port supplies 5.19 volts. I forget how many amps but I know a 2 amp wall charger provided more amps than my computer does.

Back