Power input options

66dude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Quick question... is it better to plug the power cable into the GPS mount or into the side of the dashcam? What are the pros and cons of both, if any? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: EGS
Depends on which brand and model you have. Viofo Dashcams tend to be happier using the side port of the cam than the GPS month, however, viofo has improved the mounts a lot to where they don’t cause much of a problem anymore. Either port you use won’t affect the gps functionality.

Earlier models such as the A119 V1 had issues when plugging into the GPS mount, but newer models such as the V2, V3 and A129 shouldn't have these problems.

Thank you both for your replies. I am a bit relieved to hear that because when I installed the A119 v3 on the windshield, I inadvertently placed it too close to the wiring for the rear view mirror and so I couldn't use the power outlet on the GPS mount. I don't want to take it off the windshield and waste the extra adhesive that came with the dashcam. Plus, I'm lazy!

Reactions: EGS
I prefer plugging into the mount as I remove the camera and offload the footage after each trip.

Means I don't have to unplug each time.

What Viofo have done though is that it doesn't matter which socket you choose the GPS still works.

Thank you both for your replies. I am a bit relieved to hear that because when I installed the A119 v3 on the windshield, I inadvertently placed it too close to the wiring for the rear view mirror and so I couldn't use the power outlet on the GPS mount. I don't want to take it off the windshield and waste the extra adhesive that came with the dashcam. Plus, I'm lazy!
you should be fine and not necessary to remove the mount. those pads really stick strong.

Back