Power issues on 2 0906’s

Texas Mouse

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 0906’s with problems... It won’t start up at all. I have plugged it into a regular wall jack that provides 2a. Completely dead. Anyone have similar issues, or know of a fix?

Last edited:
I think I am going to replace the capacitors inside and see if that fixes things. I recall that replacing the battery in my old Mini0806's fixed similar issues. So, can any of you electrical engineers out there help me for a moment??

There are two identical capacitors inside my 0906 (5F, 2.7v, 8mm diameter x 25mm long) connected in series. I am thinking that it may be easier to replace the two with a single cap. Basic circuit math leads me to a 2.5F cap. Two questions... (1) does the voltage requirement change, or do I stay with 2.7v, and (2) any reason why I would want to stick with 2 caps as opposed to going with 1?

Thanks!

Are you sure it's a 5F cap? Most likely it's a 5uF or 5nF, because any caps in the F range is physically very large.

If the 2 caps are in series, it is most likely part of a compensation network, which would mean the compensation network required 2 caps. If this is true, then replacing the two caps with one would screw up the network.

On to the math. When two caps are in in series, it's not just adding them together to get the total value. The equation is Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2 = (C1*C2)/(C1+C2). If the caps are in parallel then it would be sum of the caps values, Ctotal = C1+C2.

Back