Power issues

trevorf

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

Over the last couple of months, say 3-4 months, I've noticed that the unit would be powered off when I went to check it. The base unit sat on the passenger side hidden under the dash. So this occurred a few times, where I'd go check the unit and find it powered off. I would pull out the power and put it back in, and eventually it would power itself back on again. Rather than hiding the unit, I moved into the glove box, so I could check it more easily, and still I find that on random occasions the whole unit is powered off for no reason.

In some instances, I would check the recording and find that it hasn't been recording for a couple of days.

Is there anything that I can do, or look into? because as it stands now, it's rather unreliable, and difficult for me to confirm whether its working on a daily basis, because the base unit is commonly out of sight.

The behavior you describe is usually an indication of a failing memory card. Can you try a new card? That's always the weakest link.

What power supply are you using?
What hard wire kit are you using?
What's the power connected to?

When did you buy it and what firmware version is on it?

The behavior you describe is usually an indication of a failing memory card. Can you try a new card? That's always the weakest link.
Alright, I'll try another card then. Currently it's a 128GB Samsung, but I have a newly purchased 64GB Samsung. I did perform a h2testw on the 128GB card when I started noticing these problems - and it passed fine. I'll switch it out with the 64GB card anyway.

What power supply are you using?
It's hooked up to Celllink-b unit.

What hard wire kit are you using?
Not hard wired.

What's the power connected to?
Power is connected to a lighter plug.

When did you buy it and what firmware version is on it?
It's been almost (or already) a year now. I'd say the first batch that arrived in Australia. Hasn't had the firmware updated. Lens unit has been replaced though.

if its connected to cig lighter, how good is the connection? I find them fairly dodgy at times.

I've experienced power off as well. In fact, there's an even stranger behaviour I've noticed. Some times it won't power back up for a while. I've verified there's adequate power with a multimeter (from Cellink B). After leaving it detached for a while, it will eventually power up when plugged back in and the button is pressed. This can't be related to the memory card.

So you both use a Cellink B battery hard wire kit? Maybe something intermittent is going on that isn't revealed at the time you are testing with the multi-meter.

So you both use a Cellink B battery hard wire kit? Maybe something intermittent is going on that isn't revealed at the time you are testing with the multi-meter.

Perhaps, though if I plug another RC into that same power source when it's happening, it powers up straight away. It's not that frequent but I've seen it a few times and I thought the problem was the power source but after looking into it I realised that there was power but no dice. I'm not sure what it is.

Each time there's a problem, i.e. power off, crash, freeze etc I reformat the card just to minimise any chance of filesystem corruption as I think the RC is a bit unstable when the file system is dirty.

The unit I had with the Lexar flash card going to read only mode is now working fine again with a new Lexar card, no issues at all, so yes definitely the card can cause lots of instability and is an obvious first thing to check/swap.

Lexar is useless, I can't get a response from their support people, really dislike the "ignore" approach they are taking.

Last edited:
Well, just an update so far. It's been about a week or so since switching out the SD card. I think it may have turned off once, but it seems to be running fine for the last few days I think.

I still find that I'm having issues this unit.

I'm in the passenger side and been on the road for the last hour. And decided to check it... And find that it's off. Then I push in the power cables and USB, but all fine. The screen is unresponsive, then I press the power button and it turns on ...

I'm on my third micro SD card. And finding that I cannot rely on this unit to be always recording.

It's using the 32gb that came with it originally

Alright, I'll try another card then. Currently it's a 128GB Samsung, but I have a newly purchased 64GB Samsung. I did perform a h2testw on the 128GB card when I started noticing these problems - and it passed fine. I'll switch it out with the 64GB card anyway.

I thought you might be using the cards you listed here. When is the last time you formatted the 32GB card via camera menu? Do have a MAC at all? If so MAC OS X can leave hidden files that can trip up dashcam systems. Best to always format after reading the card.

I just drove from Brisbane to the gold coast and decided to check the unit. It had an error saying to connect the the sensor. I pushed it a bit but it wasn't out. I pulled it out and plugged it back in and still no change. The screen would beep responding to presses but nothing happens. Then I pulled the power and rebooted the unit and all fine.

I'm having too many on going issues with this thing. And after three sd cards... Can it always be all the carrs?

I just drove from Brisbane to the gold coast and decided to check the unit. It had an error saying to connect the the sensor. I pushed it a bit but it wasn't out. I pulled it out and plugged it back in and still no change. The screen would beep responding to presses but nothing happens. Then I pulled the power and rebooted the unit and all fine.

I'm having too many on going issues with this thing. And after three sd cards... Can it always be all the carrs?

What memory card brand / type/ size do you use ?

Connect to the sensor is generally either camera itself or cable, cable is more likely of the two

Use. Samsung evo 64, 128. The supplied Kingston 32. Lexar 633x 64

Well to fix the connect the sensor error wasn't fixed by the cable. Just had to reboot it. I could try another cable if it happens again.

But this all feels like too much trouble now. Would just like it to work...

Yeah....I know that. But using the Kingston 32gb right now.

Last edited:
Yeah....I know that. But using the Kingston 32gb right now.

Do you use dashcam to record only when driving or also for while car is parked?
How often do you format your memory card ?

Back