Power issues

Treybadd

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I installed the street guardian SGZC12RC yesterday and used a 12v cigarette adapter I had already wired to a constant powered fuse under my dash. I plugged the 12v plug directly into this. I am getting a check alternator alarm when I first crank my car but voltage looks normal and is not running battery down. I am going to check voltage before cranking but I have had low batteries before that would not crank and never got this message. Is there something in the dash cam doing this? 2006 GTO

Some BMW's and other cars can sense load changes and will throw a computer error. You'll have to find a different power source.

Excluding what Pier 28 said, other than the camera using energy, no.

How old is the battery?
What size is the battery?
Do you have an aftermarket stereo installed?

Battery is 6 months old. Had no issues with the CCA ever. No aftermarket radio.

I was powering my G1w from here with no issues with a homemade 12-5v mini USB adapter from a cell phone charger. Will the hardwire kits buffer this?

It looks like this issue may not be related to the dashcam but maybe a coincidence. The time I took to install it may have drained the battery a little and the problem surfaced then. I have to check out the charging system. I got another check alternator alarm in the middle of my trip to work today and I also got the alarm after cranking with the daschcam unplugged. It still may be an issue with the wiring to the camera but I will see.

Back