Power lead

Topgardenboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cut the plug off my power lead that went into a 12v power socket and wired the red lead on the back of the fuse box to the fuse that powered the 12volt socket and the black earth wire to a bolt. When I switched on the ignition on the dash camera would not power up, but I could manually press the button and the unit would switch on, but 20 seconds later would switch off. So I resoldered the plug back on to the red and black wire and fitted a female socket adapter. Switched the ignition back on and it’s the same as before, it will only power up by switching it on manually and then it switches of after 20 seconds. Has cutting the wires and rejoining them somehow damaged the plug?.

Did you try the same test when the charger is inserted into cigarette lighter charger port?

Yes tried that exactly the same thing happens.

The cam has a battery so when it switches on by the button and switches off after 20 minutes that's completely normal, the power lead is definitely damaged. I don't know the technical terms for stuff and I'm no electrician but the big chunk of plastic that you've cut off (with the LED that shows you it's getting power) has the stuff in it that manages the current properly, like the box you would get on a proper hardwire kit, I know you've reattached, but its possible you broke something

I can’t believe that cutting a wire and then resoldering could effect the plug especially as the fuse in the tip of the plug is ok, but obviously it’s done something. Will have to buy a proper hard wire kit.

before you do.... have you checked you haven't blown the fuse?

Back