Power loss instantly turns off camera, no shutdown

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A229
I pulled the power and the camera did not shut down cleanly.

Video 1
-> The camera was hot, WIFI was on, and camera recording. Tones were on, voice notifications off.

Video 2
-> With WIFI off, it shuts down cleanly.

Attachments

• img_thermal_1623427501693.jpg
    img_thermal_1623427501693.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 17
That's interesting. Does the dashcam need to be hot (aaaay, another Seek camera user :D ) and Wifi on for the "not-clean" shutdown or only the Wifi turned on is the condition?

I assume that thermal-image is after it was parked somewhere under Sun, isn't it?

Seek Thermal FTW.

Yes it was left out in the car in the sun, I burned my hands on the connectors.

I just tried it after it cooled down, and it shuts down cleanly:

I guess it is unlikely for someone to use WiFi while so hot but still might help VIOFO diagnose problems. I also noticed in the live view on the app the speed was over 70 mph standing still.

I have not tried to turn off with wifi on,,,,,, at least i cant recall so.
Some loose ends do seem to be popping up with the A139

@mentadent Please repeat this test but have wifi disabled. See if the camera does the exact same spontaneous shutdown / corrupt file when hot.

Then run this exact test again in FHD-FHD-FHD. When my unit is hot in FHD mode, the camera freezes, but does not power off. And the moment it freezes the file being written to is corrupted.

The second video on the first post was with WiFi off and hot.

The second video on the first post was with WiFi off and hot.

Can you try to see if you make the unit really hot (no wifi) if it'll shut down and corrupt file on 2k-fhd-fhd. measure temps.

Also try FHD-FHD-FHD and see if the camera freezing, corrupts file as it freezes, but a139 doesnt turn itself off. measure temps

on my try with FHD on all 3 cameras, all files was also playable, only problem again being the camera did not record for the 6 hour set on the timer ( this was at night so heat should not be a issue here )
And as mentioned the front camera not using low bitrate but the full 22 mbit instead of 8 as it had done earlier in the day for short stops on drive.

ATM my SG9662DR is doing a 12 hour test ( on timer ) starting in the sun in the afternoon.

I'm trying my superhot test on full quality and bitrate overnight.

Well when it is very hot (unit 65C) nearly always pulling the power out doesn't cleanly shut down, the file is corrupt and the dashcam lights instantly turn off. Wifi on or off doesn't matter, neither does quality.

So powering off in a hot car might lose your file.

Well when it is very hot (unit 65C) nearly always pulling the power out doesn't cleanly shut down, the file is corrupt and the dashcam lights instantly turn off. Wifi on or off doesn't matter, neither does quality.

that's not a good sign, will easily get to those sorts of temps for most users in summer, they'll need to look at this and see what's going on

I agree.

Weird how it will shut down cleanly on the next power cycle immediately after.

1. While Driving, I have not yet experienced a failure, because there is obvious airflow in car.

2. While parked with low bitrate parking mode and 2k - FHD- FHD, my camera overheats, shuts itself off, and corrupts last file being written when camera is around 65C or bit over. A restart will immediately bring it back online again.

3. While parked with low bitrate parking mode and camera set to FHD-FHD-FHD, the unit freezes solid, corrupting the file that was being written to. However, my camera does not shut off. Only remedy here is I remove power cord to restart unit.

Are you experiencing these same failures over 65C?

What I find strange is @SawMaster states his unit isn't overheating at all in hotter temperatures.

I am going to leave it on in a box where it gets hot and see if any files end up corrupt and will let you know. It gets to about 70C.

I've only checked if pulling the power is a clean shutdown or instant power off. This seems to consistently happen when it is about 68C. Wifi, 2K or normal, bitrate, and IR illuminator make no difference.

It didn't happen when just using two cameras but it didn't get quite as hot.

I am going to leave it on in a box where it gets hot and see if any files end up corrupt and will let you know. It gets to about 70C.

I've only checked if pulling the power is a clean shutdown or instant power off. This seems to consistently happen when it is about 68C. Wifi, 2K or normal, bitrate, and IR illuminator make no difference.

It didn't happen when just using two cameras but it didn't get quite as hot.

On my A139, changing 2K-FHD-FHD to FHD-FHD-FHD seems to result in a frozen but not powered off camera. However, the last file written is corrupted at the point the camera froze without powering off.

Can you describe 'frozen'? Is it still recording, or does it stop recording?

Mine still records when very hot and doesn't lose any files, but, if you pull the power it doesn't shut down cleanly and corrupts the last file.

Shame they don't use a format that still works if not cleanly shut down, like MKV or something but whatev. It can probably be recovered in a pinch.

Shame they don't use a format that still works if not cleanly shut down, like MKV or something but whatev. It can probably be recovered in a pinch.
MKV is just a container basically the same as used MP4. None of them are related to anything what is inside. :geek:

You need to change the way how to encode/save the file, not in what container you are gonna store it (broken glass in a box is still a broken glass). Unfortunately h264 as well as h265 expect a proper "end" (but I think that some of corruptions are recoverable).

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P A139 5
Joker0918 A139 1
C A139 55
Back