Power Magic EZ not working on Audi

I didn't buy this product simply because I do not want any phantom drain on my battery for any reason. I live in an area that gets cold winters and even a slight drain on the battery in these conditions can cause my car to not start. And even if you don't live in an area with cold temps this method is not advisable due to wear and tear on the battery. The B-124 battery is the best solution for this.

this method is not advisable due to wear and tear on the battery.
The extra 'wear and tear' on the battery is unlikely to be significant enough to make any difference to battery life.
The B-124 battery is the best solution for this.
Why buy one of those? It's ridiculous false economy spread by people who don't seem to understand stuff. You can buy two or three new car batteries for the money that a B124 costs. Where's the common sense in that?

However, having said that, your reason for using one seems pretty valid to me, but for 'normal' circumstances, a total waste of money.

The extra 'wear and tear' on the battery is unlikely to be significant enough to make any difference to battery life. Why buy one of those? It's ridiculous false economy spread by people who don't seem to understand stuff. You can buy two or three new car batteries for the money that a B124 costs. Where's the common sense in that?

However, having said that, your reason for using one seems pretty valid to me, but for 'normal' circumstances, a total waste of money.
the only valid reason really is for some euro cars that will shut power off to the circuits if there's a load that the computer decides doesn't belong, parking mode won't work for some cars without having a power supply that is independent from the cars electrical system, for those models powering from the vehicle battery isn't a viable option

The extra 'wear and tear' on the battery is unlikely to be significant enough to make any difference to battery life. Why buy one of those? It's ridiculous false economy spread by people who don't seem to understand stuff. You can buy two or three new car batteries for the money that a B124 costs. Where's the common sense in that?

The batteries in our cars are not designed to be slowly drained on a daily basis. They are made to provide high amps for starting the car then get slowly charged by the alternator. I’m sure many in this forum can attest to their battery life reduced dramatically being used to power devices like dash cams for hours.

Also the b-124 will provide much longer recording times compared to draining a car battery down to 12v.

The only way I can see this not killing your battery is maybe using a deep cycle car battery but those are expensive compared to the b-124 and still won’t give you the same recording time.

Like I mentioned before if you need to start your car in cold weather 12v or less will not get the job done.

Also a good car battery for cold weather starts is not cheap. Not sure which car batteries you’re looking at for such low prices. Most likely low CCA batteries for temperate climates.

EDIT:
I did some research on battery prices, and it's highly dependent on your car. For my particular vehicle they range from $160-$299 for a standard non deep cycle battery. I believe the B-124 goes for anywhere between $249.99 to $299.99. Still worth it for my particular use case, you're also buying peace of mind that your car will start when you come back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back