Power Magic Pro always supplies power to DR550GW

AK47UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a weird problem. Recently I purchased a DR550GW and PMP, I installed it all fine, connected the PMP yellow wire to my cigar lighter fuse which is a perm 12v, connected the red wire to the aircon/blower fuse which is switched 12v and the earth to an earthed bolt.

I had the PMP set to 12v and infinity, a week after I found my car battery was dead. After investigating with a multimeter I discovered that with the PMP turned on or off, and with the ignition off, the PMP was always supplying 12v to the female cigar socket so the cam never turned off.

I thought this must be a faulty PMP so yesterday when my replacement arrived I installed it but I have the same problem! I found that the LED on the PMP would only turn on if I set it to 11.8v. With the ignition off I used a volt meter on the aircon/blower fuse and it showed 0v so I can't see why the PMP is still supplying power when it is on or off. Even if I disconnect the red wire from the fuse box so there is no voltage at all on the wire the PMP still provides power...

The car is a 2010 Audi A3, any help much appreciated.

I think I may have cracked it, not sure how as I didn't change anything. During my initial testing I was using a multimeter on the female cigar socket and it was showing as a 12v feed all the time. I just hooked up the dash cam to it with the PMP off and it didn't power on. I then started my ignition and the cam powered on. I turned ignition off and the cam powered off. So all was working as it should do, I will put it all back together and test, if this works then it goes to show my original PMP was faulty and the replacement is ok.

Back