Power Magic Pro does not turn on? [Pictures included]

dandelos

Reaction score
Country
United States
Took a few hours to install the PMP and Blackvue 650 on our my car yesterday, and was hoping to have a smoother time on the wife's car today, but unfortunately I ran into a problem with the PMP not turning on at all (whether the car is on or not). Hoping some of you here can provide some input to help diagnose the problem.

Here's the set up in the fuse box. The "BATT" (yellow) wire is attached via an addafuse/add-a-circuit to fuse slot #2 "Parking heater radio receiver". I had previously used a light meter to confirm that this fuse slot is 'ON' even when the car is off. The "ACC" (red) wire is attached, also via an addafuse/add-a-circuit to fuse slot #51 "A/C, diagnosis, moving-off assistant". Similarly, I had used a light meter to test that this fuse slot is 'OFF' when the car is off.
HXYAjEx.jpg

Here is a picture of the fuse assignments from the car's manual. I circled fuse slot #39 in yellow too because I had also tried using that slot with the yellow "BATT" wire (after fuse slot #2 didn't work), but got the same result (i.e. PMP not turning on even when its main switch is flipped "|" (ON).
zrDU0LE.jpg

Here a couple of pictures showing the PMP's green LED does not turn on when the main switch is flipped "|" (ON).
TxskqnQ.jpg

qF3NwyD.jpg

Based on this issue it seems like the PMP is not getting power whether the car is on or off, meaning the yellow "BATT" wire connection may be an issue. I know it doesn't definitively show anything, but here are a couple of pictures showing the crimping that I did for the yellow wire (to the addafuse/add-a-circuit).
GCDRrqC.jpg

TZjkoA6.jpg

Of course, there is always the possibility that the (brand new) PMP itself is bad, but not sure how often that happens.

Thoughts?

no idea what a "Parking heater radio receiver" is but it doesn't sound like the type of thing that would have power all the time, are you certain it's not a timed output and switches off sometime later?

what sort of car is it, make and model?

no idea what a "Parking heater radio receiver" is but it doesn't sound like the type of thing that would have power all the time, are you certain it's not a timed output and switches off sometime later?

what sort of car is it, make and model?

It's a 2008 Cayenne GTS. I did also try fuse slot #39 (heated rear window) which appeared 'hot' when the car was off too, but same result as when using fuse slot #2 "Parking heater radio receiver". Also, I can double-check, but I'm pretty sure I had tested both of these slots after the car had been off for some time (i.e. at least 30-45 minutes). And even so, I did subsequently turn the car on and try to toggle the PMP main switch on and off, but the PMP still wouldn't turn on.

pull the PMP out and temp connect it straight to the battery, does it work then?

I have heard issues with wiring to the fusebox in in recent Porsche models, not sure that applies to yours or not

oh and double check your crimp connectors as well, I've even seen pros that have crimped an insulator rather than a wire before, can happen

pull the PMP out and temp connect it straight to the battery, does it work then?
Sorry, not sure I understand -- do you mean touch the teeth of the addafuse (of the yellow ACC wire) to one of the battery terminals, and if so, the positive or negative terminal? What about the red BATT addafuse?

oh and double check your crimp connectors as well, I've even seen pros that have crimped an insulator rather than a wire before, can happen
Again sorry, not a whole lot of electric experience here -- what's the best way to double check the crimp connectors?

you need to check there's power at the other end of the wiring, if no, check your crimps

I meant taking the PMP back out and connect the two power wires and earth straight to the battery, does it work, if not the PMP is faulty

What a SIGH of relief today! Figured out the problem and the dashcam is up and running now, phew!

Anyway, for those who are interested, I started doing some troubleshooting/testing based on what jokiin and Alex (from BBMC, whom I bought the units from) suggested. First I transplanted this PMP unit into my other car which had a working PMP, and voila, it worked fine. Meaning the problem was in one of the wires/connections. I then used a multimeter to double-check the ACC and BATT connections, and they were fine. Which left me with the ground -- I wasn't optimistic but the moment I tested the original nut I had tied my ground to (red circle in the pic below) and saw it wasn't a good ground I suspected I had my culprit. I tested the nut just below (green circle in the pic below) and that appeared to be a good ground, so I moved my black ground connection to it. And as simple as that, the PMP worked.

KyEYL3v.jpg

Purchased a power magic pro (pmp) wired up correctly, no green led light, and blackvue cam not working, after checking everything I found I had 12v going into the pmp both from the yellow fixed and red switched wires and only 8v coming out to the dash cam. Has to be a faulty pmp. ??? Doesn't it???

Possibly. Checked the earth connection as above?

Has to be a faulty pmp. ??? Doesn't it???
I 6 years of selling PMP, for all the time no has been defective or faulty, 50% of the problem is incorrect installation by the customer.
set the toggle switch as I have and connect the power
yellow-hazard warning light fuse
red-cigarette lighter fuse
black-ground
https://autodvr.by/power-magic-pro

17WBD9O.jpg

set the toggle switch as I have and connect the power

However in modern cars it can be quite hard to get the correctly operating circuits, especially in Euro cars with their delayed off circuits.

My method is to meter out everything including and ESPECIALLY the earth or you end up as above.

Connect the meter to the live circuit and shut and lock the car and come back in 40 mins. If its still on use it for perm power.

Do the same with Acc circuit but in reverse Hook meter up and turn ign on get power turn ign off and wait to see when it turns off.

I realise a proffesional shop hasnt got time to do all that but its always worked for me.

Other fail is those who dont strip ends of cables before crimping and wonder why they have no power LOL

Lastly I like a neat installation so unlike the rats nest above cut the wires to length

If I had a bad earth, it would show. I would not have 12v going into the pmp, but I do have 12v going into the pmp. The LED light is not on, the switch has been tried in both positions. I have a constant 12v power via the yellow wire, and 12v when the ignition is on. The ground is good. The pmp is only throwing out 8v to the dash cam. And with only 8v the dash cam will not switch on. I have then plugged the dash cam into the cigar socket and it works immeadiatly. 12V going in and 8v coming out has to be the pmp. Yes / No ? thanks for your quick responses.

I found I had 12v going into the pmp both from the yellow fixed and red switched wires and only 8v coming out to the dash cam.
Provided andy has a good ground to his pmp and meter, I can't think of a reason for his symptoms other than a faulty pmp. Just make sure that the switches are not set to the 24V position.

If I had a bad earth, it would show. I would not have 12v going into the pmp, but I do have 12v going into the pmp. The LED light is not on, the switch has been tried in both positions. I have a constant 12v power via the yellow wire, and 12v when the ignition is on. The ground is good. The pmp is only throwing out 8v to the dash cam. And with only 8v the dash cam will not switch on. I have then plugged the dash cam into the cigar socket and it works immeadiatly. 12V going in and 8v coming out has to be the pmp. Yes / No ? thanks for your quick responses.

Had a similar problem recently when installing a PMP into my car where i had one before and it wouldnt fire up Took it back to shop who tried several on a battery out the back None would fire up.. Took mine home hooked it up (correctly I have installed a few)

Scratched head and had a lightbulb moment Fired car up and it went Battery was down below the cutoff on the PMP so it was never going to go. Try that and see Dont need camera plugged in Just see if LED comes on.

The old plain PM's were better as could set them at 11.6v cutout instead of the 12v on the PMP. I have one lying around so hooked it up and it fired up without car running so battery must have just been under 12v

I purchased another PMP and again it did not work. I can’t be that unlucky 2 in a row not working or was it a bad batch of PMP’s. Again with the ignition on I have 12v going in to the PMP and this time 4v coming out, with no LED lit, the last PMP had 12v in and 8v out with no LED lit. What is going on? The ignition was already on, so I started the engine, lo and behold the LED is now lit, the dash cam has come on and everything is working. I grabbed the meter, I’ve now got 13.5v going in with the engine turning (alternator running) and 12v coming out of the PMP to the dash cam. I turned off the engine totally, ignition off, I have 12v going into the PMP and 12v coming out with the dash cam staying on via the permanent feed. I tried the first PMP again and likewise totally dead until the engine is running. So in all that time I just needed over 12v to kick start the PMP into life. Hillbilly, I’ve just seen your thread, with regards to firing up the car to get over 12v, I wish I’d seen it first, but hey, we got there in the end. I’d like to thank you guys for all your help.

Hillbilly, I’ve just seen your thread, with regards to firing up the car to get over 12v, I wish I’d seen it first, but hey, we got there in the end. I’d like to thank you guys for all your help.[/QUOTE

Pays to read them first saves a lot of time and heartache LOL

I purchased another PMP and again it did not work. I can’t be that unlucky 2 in a row not working or was it a bad batch of PMP’s. Again with the ignition on I have 12v going in to the PMP and this time 4v coming out, with no LED lit, the last PMP had 12v in and 8v out with no LED lit. What is going on? The ignition was already on, so I started the engine, lo and behold the LED is now lit, the dash cam has come on and everything is working. I grabbed the meter, I’ve now got 13.5v going in with the engine turning (alternator running) and 12v coming out of the PMP to the dash cam. I turned off the engine totally, ignition off, I have 12v going into the PMP and 12v coming out with the dash cam staying on via the permanent feed. I tried the first PMP again and likewise totally dead until the engine is running. So in all that time I just needed over 12v to kick start the PMP into life. Hillbilly, I’ve just seen your thread, with regards to firing up the car to get over 12v, I wish I’d seen it first, but hey, we got there in the end. I’d like to thank you guys for all your help.

I just ran into this today with my pmp. I didn’t fire up the car though. I’m going too now! Thank you!

Aaaa the not grounded ground wire, one of the most common errors when people start to mess around near the fuse box.

I believe my issue is me not staring my car. I’m grounded to where all the other oem things are grounded. Also the same place my former f800 was grounded too.

The gentlemen with the Porsche said he had to start his Porsche to get it to recognize the voltage change or something. Since I have a Porsche I assumed his solution would be mine too.

We’ll see.

Back