Power Magic Pro for an already hardwired Dash Cam?

cpt.mush

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So I've made a an error in purchasing a BlackVue Power Magic Pro.

I am currently using a DDPai X2 Pro front and rear cam. It however comes only with hardwire connections with no option to connect it via the cigar 12V out port. So naturally I connect it all up and get it going.

Now I wish to expand this and add a parking mode to my camera, now I've made the mistake of jumping the gun and getting the PMP at the recommendation of some friends and notice its entirely tailored towards an existing set up via a cigar port based input for a cam. Is there a work around for this where I can still connect my hardwire to the PMP? I was thinking of jerry rigging the wires of the X2 Pro to that of the cigar port on the PMP.. Probably snip off the cigar port and link the wires up, solder recommended? or maybe a screw connector or a vampire tap??

I say this assuming the connection made by the Cigar Socket is simply surface contact. So if I went wire to wire thereby bypassing the socket entirely, that would result in the same voltage across... yes? right? right??????

Anyone have experience in this scenario? Preferably not just "buy a cigar port connector"

Cheers.

I don't see why this would not work. However, I connected a QVIA AR790 to PMP and it didn't work. However, I also ignored advice to wire the 2 live wires together in the QVIA hard wire kit. Also, the AR790 has a built in parking mode, so the issues were different from a camera that does not have a parking mode unless hardwired. The best I can offer is to twist the wires first to get your + and - connections right and use a screw connection. It may not look pretty but it makes change easier and life, like my pocket after shopping trip, is full of change.

Back