Power Magic Pro Question

NYC-Style

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I understand the PMP will power the camera while parked and record from 6 hrs - infinity (based on your settings) and cutoff when either 12.5v or 12.0v are reached (based on your settings). So if after about 2 hours the camera shuts down I'm assuming that it reached it's cutoff (12v in my case) and shutdown. Could that be about all I can get?? I do know that the car '17 E Class has all sorts of electronics gauges/gadgets...as a matter of fact you can hear them come to life as soon as you get in the car. Just surprised...any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks....

2 hours seem to be short.
I think you have wired the "batt+" câble of the PMP on the wrong fuse.
Some electric equipments will be shut down by energy saver function of the car.
Try to use the fuse of the warning lights, or wire directly from battery (don't forget to add a fuse near the battery in this case)

First, check the battery voltage just after the green LED of the PMP goes OFF.
Check also settings of the PMP : try 12V and infinite time.

Last edited:
I found the PMP PRO a pain in the a**** The old PM has far better settings EG 11.6 v and 2 hour minimum .

I wired a PMP up a couple of days ago and it wouldnt fire up with the car in the garage with the Accessories on. So I tried 2 old PM's and they both fired up.

Hmmm took it back to the shop and they tried different batteries and it wouldnt work and neither would the other 4 they had in stock. They even rang the distributor who said we had wired it wrong Scuse me have installed 7 cameras and PM's I took it home and thought about it and heres what was wrong.

With the car not having been used for a couple of weeks the battery had dropped to about 11.9 volts. Hence it was below the 12v cutoff of the PMP. The PM's worked because they were set on 11.6v. Solution light bulb moment here TURN THE CAR ON. Almost instantly the PMP fired up.

Lesson learned

One of the PM's I decide to cheapskate cos I didnt want to spend any money on a new PMP I simply wired a little switch in the yellow battery feed so when I came home I switched it off so parking didnt work in the garage. Saved a few $ like that as that is the only difference mechanically in the two units apart from them ruining the good settings that were in the old one.

Another way to hardwire the PM or the camera is look in the fuse box for spare unused fuse slots My VW have quite a few they have little fuse clips on one side and nothing on the other So I just turn find one that is live with the car turned off and leave the meter attached shut it up lock it and wait 45mins If its still live use it for your yellow feed Then find one thats not live and turn the ign to ACC and see if it livens up Repeat till you find one Use for red wire. But a couple of addafuses and put 5 or 10 amp fuse in the top slot and plug them in Away you go.

NEVER JAM WIRES DOWN THE SIDE OF FUSES LIKE IN THE PMP INSTRUCTIONS. Is a disaster waiting to happen Spreads the clips and creates heat which leads to fire which leads to big hole in wallet. Had an idiot do that in my caravan Stuck the fridge fuse in crooked and was just rubbing against the side of the clip. Melted the fuse the holder and started on the wood behind it when I found what the smell was.

Perhaps.. you are tied to a fuse on a circuit that is shut off by the logic of the car. Evidently some designs will even shut off circuits if it senses what "it" thinks is leakage. Hard to diagnose those.. because even opening the door could reset the circuit.

Perhaps.. you are tied to a fuse on a circuit that is shut off by the logic of the car. Evidently some designs will even shut off circuits if it senses what "it" thinks is leakage. Hard to diagnose those.. because even opening the door could reset the circuit.

I would agree...I actually had this installed and it wasn't as simple as originally thought. Without a definitive remedy I don't want to have to play "hit and miss" in trying to figure out what will work (especially since I'll have to call the installer out to do it). As seen in the pics the car lights up inside (fiber optics) as soon as you open the door along with the digital dash and that's before starting the car...I'll try changing the setting to "infinity" as chris-s suggested. Thanks for you input I'll see how it goes...

Attachments

• 20180126_070908.jpg
    20180126_070908.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180126_070852.jpg
    20180126_070852.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 20
Back