Power Reliability. Anything better than mini USB?

Linkn11

Reaction score
Country
United States
After installing three dashcams in my vehicles I've noticed that the micro USB connectors used for power are the most unreliable component of the dashcam system. I use fuse taps for power, which are quite reliable, but the power cable itself and the micro USB plug/socket is unreliable. What other options are available for a more reliable power supply besides micro USB? I've had one USB cable fail in the winter, and two USB plug/sockets fail in the summer. For my location temperature in the car can ranges from -10f in the winter to 110f in the summer. Thanks.

what cameras have you been using?
The "Amazon's Choice" Crosstour CR900 front/rear combo. One thing to note is that my title to this thread is wrong. The power for this model is a micro-usb. If some dashcams use mini-usb, and that format is more reliable, that could be an option.

The "Amazon's Choice" Crosstour CR900 front/rear combo.
you might have noticed that's not a a brand that gets mentioned around here, might be better to step up to something with better build quality, Amazon's choice is based on what they can promote, not always what's good

Over the years i only think i have had 2 cameras with micro USB plugs, both in the mini series.
Most dashcams seem to use mini USB, and USB C are emerging slowly, i like USB C in my phone and my computer, and the one dashcam i have tried with it had 5 USB C inputs, and plug wise it also work fine, and general functioning it also work just fine a year later.

you might have noticed that's not a a brand that gets mentioned around here, might be better to step up to something with better build quality, Amazon's choice is based on what they can promote, not always what's good
I am happy to purchase a different dash cam, however, it seems like I would have similar problems with other manufactures. The micro usb plug/socket is an off-the-shelf component. Even if I were to purchase a quality dash cam, I am concerned that the same issue would crop up. It seems like a dash cam is a particularly harsh use-case for micro usb connector. In normal use depending on how the cable is routed significant bending of the terminal can occur. Even if a manufacturer does environmental testing on their products to determine a temperature rating for the product, that doesn't necessarily translate to real life performance. Since the micro usb connector itself is so small, it doesn't seem like a great application for dash cams. Are there any other power connection options out there, or more "ruggedized" products?

Over the years i only think i have had 2 cameras with micro USB plugs, both in the mini series.
Most dashcams seem to use mini USB, and USB C are emerging slowly, i like USB C in my phone and my computer, and the one dashcam i have tried with it had 5 USB C inputs, and plug wise it also work fine, and general functioning it also work just fine a year later.
Is it powered through USB C? What is the model of that product?

For the power to the camera most use regular USB plug / standard for the power.
But say a 2 channel system, the rear camera might connect with a mini USB wire, but just by looks, USB are just 5 wire, dashcams can use upwards of 10 pins in a minu USB plug.
Now the 5 V + and - might be placed on the same pins as the USB standard dictate, but after that the similarities with standard USB also stop aside for the physical appearance.

The USB C camera are my side camera K2S system, it even have a plug retention bracket as it is a dual remote with the 2 cameras on wires, so to make sure nothing wiggle free the bracket to lock plugs in place on the main unit.

got some side use footage here, install ramble start at 2:00.

I am happy to purchase a different dash cam, however, it seems like I would have similar problems with other manufactures. The micro usb plug/socket is an off-the-shelf component. Even if I were to purchase a quality dash cam
was it Micro USB or Mini USB? Most cameras use Mini USB as it's sturdier, also just because a component comes off the shelf don't think there aren't differences in quality, you don't get what you don't pay for

For the better part of a year i did not use the plug retention bracket, but i do use it now as the K2S camera are just flopping around under my driver seat.
I cant say the USB C are better than the mini USB i have been so used to use the past decade, the biggest + is there is no wrong way to try and plug it in, as to staying in the devise i have never had a mini USB come loose.
And i have some times had 4-5 cameras in my windscreen connect with mini USB.

You can look up the plug / unplug numbers for the different USB plugs, the mini USB can do that much more than micro USB as i recall, but really there should be no reason to unplug that often.
Though i did for many years using 1 channel cameras for side and rear camera, and instead of messing with little cameras in car i unplugged the cameras and took it with me ( often installed neodymium magnets for quick release )

The new DR model from street guardian take it one step further with multipin connectors that screw together, only the GPS antenna connect with a 3 mm barrel plug.
This is a remote system so not in any way meant to be dismantled as the main unit are hidden in the car out of sight.

By far my biggest cam problems have been the mini-USB power connections at the cam, and in one case the socket itself has come loose at the PCB. Normally a loose connection here can be remedied by slightly 'squashing' the plug's outer metal part. I've also had wire failures where the molded strain-relief part of the plug ends. And a few dirty connections as well.

But one question brings another- what better can we replace this with? Coaxial 'barrel' plugs can do very well but only if the fit is not too loose, and many times the fit is loose, especially when you're using components from two different manufacturers. The tendency for those who make these is to have some looseness so that at least your component works with everyone else's; a plug or socket is no good if it can't be connected. 'Phone' type plugs/sockets could be used, but I don't know if those can handle the power, and same as with coaxial plugs the fit has to be good.

So while I too don't particularly car for mini-USB either, it does work fairly well or better and it's nearly universal with dashcams, so I can live with the issues.

Phil

It looks like both Thinkware and Blackvue use barrel connectors for power in their products. I purchased two Q800 PROs and will install them with the factory hardwire kits, and will add an additional wiring retention bracket.

Yes i think the both use 12V power input, where barrel style connectors are indeed much used.

Is there a good reason no one's using USB C?

When I got my Viofo A129 Duo, I was surprised to see USB mini for power connection, and basically a modified USB mini port for the cable between cameras.

The last device I owned that used USB mini for anything was an SD card reader I bought in probably 2010.

I agree that mini is preferable to micro for the power connection. It's simply stronger than a micro, because it's larger. I'm sure a micro would easily come unplugged etc.

USB C would have been even better.

Innovv made an odd choice on their K2. The cameras use USB C, but the DVR power input (if you're not using the 12V converter) is micro-B. Not only that, but the port is recessed. Most USB micro cables are too fat to plug in. You have to either get a special slim-plug USB cable, or shave rubber off a regular one. Would have been easier if they used a USB C port. USB C plugs are typically skinnier than USB micro plugs, so they could still have recessed the port (which is done so a rubber flap can cover it when not in use, for weatherproofing).

USB C is already "mini." While not as small as USB micro-B, it also is just a better connector (more physically robust, not orientation-dependent).

USB C plugs are slimmer than their USB micro-B counterparts. Look at a USB C cable and a USB micro-B cable side by side and you'll see what I mean.

the ddpai mini3c has a 3.5mm headphone style jack power wire
That's a decent solution, although USB to 3.5mm tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) adapters are relatively uncommon.

TRS checks the boxes of physical strength, and requiring a decent amount of force to unplug.

I have a portable Bluetooth speaker that uses exactly this for recharging. It's an oddball for sure. I've managed not to lose the special cable (USB A on one end, 3.5mm TRS on the other) so far. If I did I could likely cobble one together from old cables.

Back