Power Reliability. Anything better than mini USB?

I think the reason for all the mini USB cameras are that anything else are not really needed, so its the " if it aint broke, dont fix it" issue in play.
I do like USB C in the sense it can go in both ways, and so with dashcams you have more wiggle room, not least if the plug in the end are angled.
Cuz if your angled plug rub up against something installed one way, with USB C you can just flip it 180 degrees and that should take care of that problem.

My last Nokia phone came with a bundle of weird charger plugs, that was needed with phones back then, so in the end of the charger wire was a 3 mm barrel type plug, but then to it you added one of 6 or so different adapters so you could charge just about any phone.

USB C is already "mini." While not as small as USB micro-B, it also is just a better connector (more physically robust, not orientation-dependent).

USB C plugs are slimmer than their USB micro-B counterparts. Look at a USB C cable and a USB micro-B cable side by side and you'll see what I mean.
USB C does seem to take up significantly more space when you have more than one side by side, a mini version might be good.

I think the real reason it is not more popular is that it is still new, cameras will start swapping to USB C soon.

Might be some licensing issues, or even costs.

TRS could be better, but these do have a greater risk of accidental shorting than USB and barrel types when disconnected :eek: The socket is also taller vs USB types though about the same width which could cause some board or case design issues. I doubt that cam manufacturers will go here as a whole; they seem to be happy with USB types so if there's a change it will likely be USB-C.

But I doubt that we'll even get that since USB-mini is nearly standard across-the-board for 5VDC cams and it usually works well enough :cool:

Phil

Back