power socket / hardwire question.

Sloop

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I have had my Street Guardian SG9665GC now for about five years in my Hyundai i30 and it has been brilliant. I have now bought a 2011 Toyota Kluger and I am about to fit the camera. Unlike the Hyundai the power socket is not in a convenient position so I have decided to hard wire to the fuse box. I take it that I can no longer use the cable that has the adapter for the cigarette lighter socket. Before I order a hardwire kit I would just like to ask the following question. I do not need the parking mode so is it just a case of wiring to a fuse that is only live when the ignition is on ? If any one has installed their camera on a Toyota Kluger did you install it under the mirror towards the centre of the windscreen under the rather large meshed looking area or to one side. Any help appreciated.

Cheers .

The old SG cables had the PSU in the plug for the lighter, but newer ones have it in a box a little up the wire, cuz that way you can cut off the 12 V plug, buy a piggyback fuse adapter that fit your kind of fuses and so hard wire that way.
That will not give you parking mode but just neat out of sight cabling.

Hi Kamkar1 , Thank you for your quick reply I appreciate your help. The cable I have now is about 5 years old and does have a little box a bit further up the cable that shows a green LED when powered up I am not sure if this was the PSU or just an indicator of power. The hardwire kit I have put in the cart ready to order is for an SG9665GC & has no plug on the end , Definitely do not want to end up putting 12 volts through the camera and frying it.

Hi Joking, It is good to be back on the forum after a long absence but as before there is so much help on here. Thank you very much for that info. I did think the plug was small and very light to have the PSU in it . That is good news as I can now cut the plug off as suggested and get the piggy back fuse adaptor. Thank you so much for the help.

Cheers John.

No worries just cut off the plug you use to put in your dash socket ( as close to the plug as you can ), you will then find 2 wires, the red one you wire to a ACC fuse and the black one to a suitable Ground connection.

You just need to figure what kind of ATO fuses your car use and then go get a piggy back fuse of those and a 5 AMP fuse to protect your car from the camera. ( go on the red + 12 V wire )
And then of course you need to figure out what fuse in your fuse box are ACC and not on all the time.

Brilliant, thank you kamKar1 very helpfull.

If your car have spare fuses in the fuse box you can take one of those to the store to make sure you get the right type piggy back fuse adapter, the original fuse you tap into go on the bottom slot in the piggy back fuse adapter, the 5A fuse for the camera go on the top of the 2 fuse slots in the adapter.

Of course your car manual probably also tell what kind of fuses your car use, i just cant bloody find mine when i need it :)

Will do, thanks again
Of course your car manual probably also tell what kind of fuses your car use, i just cant bloody find mine when i need it :)

Luckily I have only just bought the Kluger so the manual is nice and handy.(y)

Thanks to the advice from you guys I have now fitted and hardwired my camera into my Toyota Kluger. Did have trouble trying to get a piggy back adaptor to take a low profile mini blade fuse but a very helpful guy at JayCar informed me I could use a standard mini adapter that would still go into the fuse box but sit a bit higher with two mini standard fuses, 15 amp for the ACC & 5 amp for the camera. Thought I was going to have to go into the main fuse box in the engine compartment and then try to find a way through the fire wall but looking at the car manual I realised there was another fuse box under the glove box. Install went well with cabling going under the hood lining above the wind screen. I just removed the door seal at the back of the A pillar trim, I pulled the trim out slightly at the top and slid the cable under the air bag and down the gap that was available where the door trim was removed. A panel under the glove box was easy to remove to expose the fuse box . Ended up a nice neat install with no cables exposed apart from the two from the roof lining to the camera. My 6 year old SG9665GC is still showing great clear recordings.

Back