Powerbank Battery for a Dashcam

I have a power bank that makes a Mobius think it is connected to a computer and forces it to go into standby mode rather than begin recording. Some "smart" power banks will cause this issue unfortunately. The solution has been to modify the existing cable by cutting the white and green data wires while leaving the red and black power wires intact.( You will probably need to completely isolate the shielding from the connection as well.)

If you happen to have a short spare USB-A to mini-B cable around you can try this fix-it out and see if it works for you before committing to the cable you want to use on your bike.

View attachment 27647

Mobius doesn't see my power bank as a computer. As I said in my previous comment, Mobius stays in standby mode forever when indeed connected to a computer, while when connected to my powerbank then Mobius auto shutdowns after 30s (my settings to save battery if not recording btw), then the powerbank also auto turns off. So my current wish is for the powerbank to continue charging Mobius even when Mobius is off. Not quite sure which powerbank should I buy to solve this

The photo I posted above showing the wire colors you will find in every USB cable along with this pin-out chart will explain the differences between a USB data cable and a standard power cable.

If you out a temporary piece of tape over the two inner pin connectors (pin 2 and pin 3) on the USB-A plug you can test to see if the Data connection is your problem.

View attachment 27648

nice. Will try this

Mobius doesn't see my power bank as a computer. As I said in my previous comment, Mobius stays in standby mode forever when indeed connected to a computer, while when connected to my powerbank then Mobius auto shutdowns after 30s (my settings to save battery if not recording btw), then the powerbank also auto turns off. So my current wish is for the powerbank to continue charging Mobius even when Mobius is off. Not quite sure which powerbank should I buy to solve this

The Mobius has over-voltage protection that will shut it down if power exceeds 5 volts. It almost sounds like your power bank may have a voltage regulation problem and is shutting down your camera after a flucutation. If possible check your power bank's output with a multi-meter. Also try another power bank to test if you have access to one.

The Mobius has over-voltage protection that will shut it down if power exceeds 5 volts. It almost sounds like your power bank may have a voltage regulation problem and is shutting down your camera after a flucutation. If possible check your power bank's output with a multi-meter. Also try another power bank to test if you have access to one.

My Mobius auto shutdowns because I make the settings for it to do so after 30s when in standby mode. Even when Mobius is off, it is still charged by the powerbank for a few more moments (i.e. Mobius LED is green) and then the light of the powerbank is gone (auto shutdowns) and stopped charging my Mobius.

My Mobius auto shutdowns because I make the settings for it to do so after 30s when in standby mode. Even when Mobius is off, it is still charged by the powerbank for a few more moments (i.e. Mobius LED is green) and then the light of the powerbank is gone (auto shutdowns) and stopped charging my Mobius.

If the Mobius shuts itself off and the power bank then shuts down, that would be normal. Try turning "Power Off Standby" to "Off" and see what happens.

If the Mobius shuts itself off and the power bank then shuts down, that would be normal. Try turning "Power Off Standby" to "Off" and see what happens.

Normal? But what if I want to charge the Mobius when it is off then what can I do? And how come the powerbank can charge my phone when the phone is off but it cannot do the same thing when Mobius is off? I found it weird...

Is your phone really off :rolleyes:
Try draining the Mobius battery until it shuts down.
Hook up power bank and see if it "charges" longer.

Last edited:
Normal? But what if I want to charge the Mobius when it is off then what can I do? And how come the powerbank can charge my phone when the phone is off but it cannot do the same thing when Mobius is off? I found it weird...

Well, your Mobius is not a phone. It has settings that will allow it to start up if it detects external power and shut down when it loses power. If you set your Mobius to "Power Off Standby - 30 seconds" it will shut itself off after that amount of time to conserve its battery. The power bank will detect that the device it is connected to has shut down and it will too.

Like I said, try changing the settings for Power Off Standby. Also, how do you have "Power OFF Disconnect" set? You may simply need to reconfigure your settings to get the functionality you need.

BTW, you have a battery installed in your Mobius and not a super-capacitor, right?

Is your phone really off :rolleyes:
Try draining the Mobius battery until it shuts down.
Hook up power bank and see if it "charges" longer.

That shouldn't be necessary. The Mobius will indicate whether it is on or not. A green LED will indicate charging though even if off.

It's not the indication this was for, it's trying to keep it on to full charge instead of just 30 seconds.

Really sounds like everything is working normally though. Mobius on standby, battery fully charged, charging stops, powerbank shuts down.
Even sounds SAFE.

It's not the indication this was for, it's trying to keep it on to full charge instead of just 30 seconds.

Really sounds like everything is working normally though. Mobius on standby, battery fully charged, charging stops, powerbank shuts down.
Even sounds SAFE.

Sorry I just re-read your post and you were referring to the phone being off or not rather than the Mobius.

The Mobius has a green LED charging indicator that will turn off when fully charged so you wouldn't really have to drain it down completely to know if it is charging or needs a charge. The charging indicator will function whether the camera is powered up or not. It has power-on battery charge level indicators as well. Three red flashes at start-up indicate a fully charged battery.

Yeah, I'm thinking everything is normal too. Probably a question of settings. The Mobius has numerous Power-On and Power-Off configuration options.

Most of my Mobius cams have super-capacitors installed so I've not encountered this issue but if I have some time I will check out a battery powered Mobius with a power bank using different settings and see what results I get.

Well, your Mobius is not a phone. It has settings that will allow it to start up if it detects external power and shut down when it loses power. If you set your Mobius to "Power Off Standby - 30 seconds" it will shut itself off after that amount of time to conserve its battery. The power bank will detect that the device it is connected to has shut down and it will too.

Like I said, try changing the settings for Power Off Standby. Also, how do you have "Power OFF Disconnect" set? You may simply need to reconfigure your settings to get the functionality you need.

BTW, you have a battery installed in your Mobius and not a super-capacitor, right?

1st of all I'm using a battery, not capacitor. Haven't installed a power source in my motorbike yet, maybe in the future when I change to a higher cc one.
My current settings:
Power-off standby: 30 secs
Power On - Auto record: Button only
Power-off Disconnect: Disabled (since my power on is button only. I dont want the power on setting to be Both since it will auto record whenever I charge it using USB power adapter/PC)

Try turning setting "Power-off standby" to OFF and see if that changes anything.

Also, confirm that it takes a charge properly from a different power source such as a wall charger.

Maybe check to make sure your battery doesn't need replacement as well.

Try turning setting "Power-off standby" to OFF and see if that changes anything.

Also, confirm that it takes a charge properly from a different power source such as a wall charger.

Maybe check to make sure your battery doesn't need replacement as well.

by USB power adapter I mean wall charger :p

Just tried to change power-off standby to OFF. Mobius stays ON with orange LED and the powerbank also stays ON and thus should be charging the Mobius (I hope). But when I manually turn off Mobius then powerbank also auto shutdowns a few moments later.

I suppose my Mobius can take a charge properly. I charge it (when Mobius is OFF) by both PC and wall charger and after a while the LED will change from green (charging) to off (full battery). With full battery I can record for 1h30-2 hours.

Is there any setting that enables me to charge Mobius using powerbank when Mobius is OFF, just like I always do with wall charger and PC? The whole purpose of using powerbank to charge Mobius is when I'm not near a PC/wall plug.

I guess you need to try a cable without the data wires or it could just be you will need a different power bank. As I mentioned, one of my power banks always puts a Mobius into standby mode but it works fine since I modified the cable I use to power it in my vehicle.

I guess you need to try a cable without the data wires or it could just be you will need a different power bank. As I mentioned, one of my power banks always puts a Mobius into standby mode but it works fine since I modified the cable I use to power it in my vehicle.

OMG I taped the pin 2 and 3 and now I'm able to charge Mobius even when it is OFF with the powerbank :D Thanks a lot dude. Now I guess what's left for me is to find a proper power only cable :D

I noticed something though:

The powerbank auto shutdowns when Mobius seems to be fully charged. However, when I attempted to keep charging it using a PC then Mobius still continues to charge for quite sometime more. Not a big deal though. The important thing is now I can charge Mobius using my powerbank :D

I've got a 2ch Blackvue that's hooked up via the cig lighter so it's off when I'm parked. Is there a powerbank I can use to power the cam on the infrequent trips to the mall/movie theater? I'm guessing I'd have to buy a 5v cig adapater to USB? I haven't been able to find one. Anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this? I don't mind charging at home and bringing the power bank to the car every time I need it.

Back