Powerbank for Dashcam (external battery), how long can it record when car parked ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I would like to record when the car is parked and think about a powerbank, actually 2 powerbanks.

I am thinking to have 2 powerbanks and change it every time the one in the car is empty.

How long do you think that a dashcam with screen off can record when plugged to this for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B007NIK44O
(I hope link ok because it's Amazon)

Do you think that I will have to refill the powerbank external battery everyday or every 2 days ?

And can I recharge it with the car battery when driving ? (but as a powerbank needs hours to be charged I guess I will never drive enough).

Thank you for your ideas.

It looks like a good idea in theory, however just be aware that a 32Gb card @ 1080p at best will record around 5 to 6 hours before looping if you just leave the dashcam running. If you choose to use the motion activation function just also be aware that most dashcams are not very functional in this mode (depending on brand/model) and you may find that it doesn't actually record anything at all or it records too much and fills your card up with false positives.

I sometimes wonder what the threshold might be to install a 'home' cctv system in a car, when topics like this arise.
One could put all the DVR, batteries and such in the trunk. I know there are MANY varieties of DVRs, and some I would suspect could/should be lowER power consumption.
That way, one could use a low-power SSD (with many GIGAbytes of storage) to record one or more cameras.

I like the DASHCAMS because of
  1. auto-record with ignition/power-up
  2. GPS sensor/recording
  3. shock sensor/recording
  4. looping (which home CCTVs have as well)
  5. Small/er size overall
But, I dislike it that for the most part if someone steals my dashcam, they have my GPS data and video because storage is on-board.
I'd like to see
  1. GPS (SatNavs) AND dash cams have authentication to turn-on, sign-on and access the device.
  2. Option to encrypt data
  3. Option to stop recording and for SatNavs stop instructing when within say 4 miles of your home, because, we all know our local area an no need to tell the thief where you live and how to get there. If they just STOLE your car, press DRIVE HOME on GPS/SatNav and voila, they KNOW you're NOT HOME.. they just stole your car! :) Or perhaps if they do not put in the auth code, have it lead them to your local police station. :)
Just some thoughts....

I am not sure its a good idea to have a huge LIPO battery lying in the car, especially not with extreme temperatures.

Due to limited room undet the hood of my car i have been thinking on just adding a small motorcycle battery to run the dashcam off, but i still havent figured out if a MC battery can handle the charge rates in a car, or witch way to best "isolate" the MC battery so it dont drain the car battery along with itself.

Dont mind if my dashcam would lead a thief to my house, if i had a house i would have a second and third layer of protection there.
Personally i would not dare to be a thief, at least not in the US :)

I have a Sealed lead acid battery in the boot run off a 200Amp relay and a fuse, with some black and red copper shower cable from our old house wiring, works a treat. The battery is from a Golf cart type thing.
I have used the return from the alternator eg the thin wire that sends 12 volts down it to your dashboard to tell the battery warning light to turn off as the feed to switch the relay on, so it wont charge until the engine has started. the alternator from a moped generates the power in the same way as a car so I would not be worried about that, and if you cant be bothered to find the wiring to the alternator you could run it to the ignition on or connect the relay up to your side lights so it only charges when you have your lights on. you can also buy trickle charges that charge a battery in the boot designed for golf carts.

If the battery thing you were looking at charges off USB why not plug one into the other and the first will charge the second until its dead then the second will slowly run out.

It looks like a good idea in theory, however just be aware that a 32Gb card @ 1080p at best will record around 5 to 6 hours before looping if you just leave the dashcam running. If you choose to use the motion activation function just also be aware that most dashcams are not very functional in this mode (depending on brand/model) and you may find that it doesn't actually record anything at all or it records too much and fills your card up with false positives.

Thank you to remind this.

The most of the dashcams have a batterypack which automaticly charge when the engine is running. When the car is parked the battery will be "alive" fot at least 10 minutes
One of out bestselling dashcams with this option is the
Ambarella Mini DVR
0801 CL-800GS+
(GPS + 8GB intern)

Hello,

I tried using a powerbank with a dashcam as external battery but it seems that the "bank" has not enough "power" because the screen is blinking and even when I close it it does not record, but when I plug again the dashcam directly to the car it works.

Is it possible that a powerbank (a big one, 30000 mha) does not provide enough energy to use it on a dashcam ?

And do you know what is the dashcam that is using the minimum energy ?

Thank you for your help.

Any update on this please ? I haven't found a dashcam that can run on powerbanks.

Thanks.

I haven't had any problems running dashcams off of a powerbank.

Anker and ravpowee are reputable brands and most have IQ ports which can deliver whatever the device needs.

Hello,

I tried using a powerbank with a dashcam as external battery but it seems that the "bank" has not enough "power" because the screen is blinking and even when I close it it does not record, but when I plug again the dashcam directly to the car it works.

Is it possible that a powerbank (a big one, 30000 mha) does not provide enough energy to use it on a dashcam ?

And do you know what is the dashcam that is using the minimum energy ?

Thank you for your help.

Any update on this please ? I haven't found a dashcam that can run on powerbanks.

Thanks.

I've run SG9665GC's, A118-C's and G1W-H cameras off a power bank for extended periods, setup and troubleshooting without issue.

You might want to check output of the power bank (30000 mha is the capacity) to make sure it's providing the minimum required by the camera. Also check your cables. Some cameras may not like using a data cable for power and you may have to get a 'charging' cable.

I think the problem has more to do with the power bank, some power banks have no intelligence to them and if they don't see a significant load draw they shut off as they assume the connected device has finished charging, I think I've got one cheapy power bank here that does that but the rest of them (I have around 10 different models) all power any dashcam I've connected without any issue

@jokiin : Hi, can you give us some names of the ones that are working OK? I am looking to buy one to power my two dash cams at the same time. Thank you.

most of the ones I have aren't branded, the best one I have is a Chinese brand but don't know if they sell it anywhere else, I have each model of the Xioami power banks and they work fine also

This is the one I like best, not sure if one of the Chinese sellers like @GearBest can get these but I'd recommend them for sure, very high quality

1e5738132189c8578282a0785970dd33.jpg

can you give us some names of the ones that are working OK?
I have used an Anker Astro E5 and E7 as well as a Jackery Giant+ to power a JooVuu X on my hat with no issues.

Thank you @jokiin and @DT MI and @CheckYourLights I will look for xiaomi since the other ones mentioned I can not find on Romanian stores. I also need to have at least 12 months warranty. Keep well

Back