Powerbank plus 3 Wire kit question

mastaxmy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Currently my camera is setup with a 3 Wire kit. Does anyone know if i buy a power bank like Zendure and connect it to the GPS unit, during parking mode, will the power from the powerbank be utilized first before switching to the car battery? If so, i feel like it may help with wear and tear of the car battery. I apologize if this has already been covered. I read through several threads and didn't see anything.

Due to time constraints I have not hooked up my 3 wire kit but anxious to see test the cam I am using an RAVPOWER power bank connected to the GPS module. However, you cannot access parking mode in the menu unless its powered by the 3 wire kit. Basically the cam is always on.

As a follow on, my response is based on using firmware v1.5 from the official VIOFO site.

So I bought the Ravpower and plugged it into the GPS unit. 3HK is plugged directly into the camera. When I turn off the car, it will switch to parking mode. While it's recording, I will unplug the 3HK from the camera to see if its using power from the power bank. After some quick tests it seems inconsistent. Sometimes it uses the power bank for power and sometimes it uses the 3HK. I can tell this because if its using the 3HK for power the camera just shuts off when I unplug it. If using power bank it continues to record when unplugging the 3HK cable. I'll have to do more testing to see if I can find a pattern or reason why it uses one or the other.

Don't plug both in at the same time

Will it cause hardware problems if both are plugged it? I'm just trying to utilize parking mode with the 3HK and use my power bank instead of using car battery to prevent wear and tear on my battery.

Back