powering 2 mobius from 1 car charger

randu

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
has anyone managed to do something like this before? powering 2 mobius (for front & rear dashcam) from a single car charger (say a usb charger supporting 2000ma) outlet? the outlet should be able to handle the demand easily, would a Y cable, like that below, be able to distribute the 5v to both cameras? thx

mOMOSdMqqqFzHoD5Mvlv-dA.jpg

Why not just get a dual port usb car charger?
Scosche-reVOLT-c2-Dual-USB-Car-Charger.jpg

with that charger you will need two seperate wires from the charger to the cams. i already had a usb cable in place for the front facing cam, and now wish to add a rear facing one beside it.i would like to use the existing wiring , which is neatly hidden away behinde the dashboard.

if there is increased resistance across the connectors for the adaptors i will be using, would it be sufficient to get a 2400ma 5v charger, to supply the 1A each mobius would need? or would i need something that gives out a higher voltage, say 7v , to make up for the resistive losses?

Split'er .. ( Doing it ATM )
My Abee M7 and Mini 0826 share one USB port
+ I plan on using a split'er for my rear cams ( G1Wc + and my Dome G90c ) as soon as I get a long enough USB cable ...

with that charger you will need two seperate wires from the charger to the cams. i already had a usb cable in place for the front facing cam, and now wish to add a rear facing one beside it.i would like to use the existing wiring , which is neatly hidden away behinde the dashboard.

if there is increased resistance across the connectors for the adaptors i will be using, would it be sufficient to get a 2400ma 5v charger, to supply the 1A each mobius would need? or would i need something that gives out a higher voltage, say 7v , to make up for the resistive losses?

If as you say, you want to install a rear camera in addition to your front camera you will need two cables anyway, so plugging the second cable into the dual port charger shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, resistance could potentially be an issue, especially if you need a longer cable for the rear camera, so if you do use a splitter the AWG of both the cable and splitter you choose will be important. If you run into a problem with the Mobius and other dash cams that are not receiving enough current it will often manifest as an unpleasant pulsed audio noise.

Back