Powering 2 seperate dash cams, question about adding a fuse tap.

knight3136

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an empty slot in my car fuse box (ACC) I would like to connect 4 devices to it. If you have an empty slot can you connect a 25 amp fuse? Most of the devices will need 5 amps or less. I have two battery dash cam battery pack and two other devices I would like to power on (4 in total). My idea was to put a recoil bus terminal (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08C9MXVFQ) inside near the fuse box. Then connect a tap a fuse with a ring at the end to it. Then connect the 4 devices to the terminal. So the add a fuse tap will power the terminal and terminal will power on the devices. My last question is if I use a 25 amp fuse for the above will each device get a max of 6.25 amps or each one will get 25 amps if all of them are power on.

You might look at your link. None of the items are relevant to your question.
You are missing the principle of current consumption. It is not the current capacity of the fuse that determines the current usage of a device, it is the device itself.
The 25A fuse will allow 25+ a bit Amps to flow through it. If you take much more than 25A from it, it will blow.
Ideally, if you are connecting 4 devices, each should be fused separately. Your suspicion that each device will take 6.5A is wrong. Each will take as much as it needs, but if the total to all 4 devices exceeds much over 25A the fuse will blow.
A dashcam will normally take less than 2A but not sure about the battery packs. The latter usually take quite a high current to charge them up quickly.
Without the spec of the things you are going to connect, it's difficult to advise with any accuracy.

I have two battery dash cam battery pack
If those are Cellink Neo using 10A each then maybe you should get a professional to install it, that is a lot of power, need to make sure all the cables and fuses are correctly rated, and it is also a heavy load on the alternator which might need an upgrade.

Your unused fuse slot is probably used in other models, or with an optional accessory you don't have in your car. If so then I would not draw more current from there than whatever that 'missing' fuse is rated for. Oftentimes the owner's manual will have that info if it's not listed on the fusebox or it's cover. And definitely fuse each device separately at it's proper rating, Rather than a loose ring terminal I'd use a covered terminal strip too.

Always aim for safety with dashcam wiring because smoked car wires are very expensive to fix :eek:

Phil

As stated above, check user manual before you use fuse which isn't meant to be there. (you must not use higher rated fuses)
If those battery packs are rated for more than 5Amps input each, definitely connect them separately. (in other words each battery pack should have own fuse...)

Last edited:
Provided yo don't insert a fuse in 'the bottom' slot, thus possible powering a cable that is not meant to be powered, It matters not what fuse you put in the piggy back (within reason).
The only thing that you need to know is which is the live side of the fuse slot that you are putting the piggy back into.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 10