Powering small cellular/wifi router with BI-750

iBreakStuff

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I'm still in the research stage of building a system to go in my Altima. I think I'll be going with the Thinkware U1000 2 channel with Radar module with the BlackBoxMyCar (IT'S CELL) BI-750 battery pack. That being said I would like to run the GL.iNet GL-X750 router off the battery at the same time, it takes a DC 12V 1.5A input.

Now I know the USB ports on the battery will output 5V @ 3A. Using a USB type A step up converter cable doesn't appear to be straight forward as they step up in voltage tends to eat up an amp or so and will only output in the 0.8A to 1A range. Threre's only *one* I found that supports 3A via QuickCharge Type A USB @ 5V and steps it up to 12V @ 1.5A via an interchangeable barrel connector, which would work in theory. I don't know if I'd trust some $2 no name adapter unattended in the car. And since QC is some kind of embedded firmware standard that I'm unsure if the BI-750 supports. BUT the wiring would be a lot easier.

The other thought is using a combination of the 3 wire parking mode cable as well as the cigarette lighter style 12V output from the battery together. Now if I understand correctly using the ACC1 and ACC2 mode the battery will only charge while the car is on. Is it possible to use an ACC and constant from the interior fusebox to do this and depend on voltage protection to get a little more juice to the BI-750 during extended parking and not kill the main car battery? Now on the output side the 12V lighter adapter plug looks like it has a blank for ACC and only a hot and ground. Would splicing the hot and ground to the Thinkware wire and using something like a T-Tap to get the ACC signal from BI-750 input side and splice it to the ACC on the Thinkware cable on the output side to enable parking mode? This way I could use a 12V splitter and power my router as well as the camera and still have parking mode.

I'd like to avoid using something like an AGM battery as I don't really have any room for it due to the huge subwoofer box and all the junk that goes with it already in my trunk.

Router:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07RQ6JXJC
Step up converter cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08FFHSXD9
Any help is appreciated thanks!

Did you manage to figure this out? Interested in the same setup, however need a run through on the wiring..

Do what is the ultimate goal? Is it to stream the video to a cloud over LTE?

Do what is the ultimate goal? Is it to stream the video to a cloud over LTE?
Yes, would like push notifications of events or the ability to view the camera at any point in time. Being able to display location etc. Is bonus.

Some time has passed since the OP. I installed and within a few days (un)installed and returned the U1000 for it's horrific cloud performance and infuriating software. I got the BlackVue DR900X instead which puts itself in parking mode after 5 minutes when stopped. That uses the cigarette lighter patch cable.

I had an Ellipsis MHS900L sitting around and I'm using that since it can run without a battery off one of the USB ports. Come to find out the lighter output of the bi-750 only puts out 2 amps. That's not enough to run a camera and another accessory. Keep in mind a router with an internal battery is a bad idea, something that runs without taking a charge is best.

Having messed with this for a few weeks now I'd try and find the smallest MiFi or hotspot possible since the both brand of cameras use a lot of power and the hotspot will be taking power away from it. I get maybe 10 hours out of a charge running both.

Some time has passed since the OP. I installed and within a few days (un)installed and returned the U1000 for it's horrific cloud performance and infuriating software. I got the BlackVue DR900X instead which puts itself in parking mode after 5 minutes when stopped. That uses the cigarette lighter patch cable.

I had an Ellipsis MHS900L sitting around and I'm using that since it can run without a battery off one of the USB ports. Come to find out the lighter output of the bi-750 only puts out 2 amps. That's not enough to run a camera and another accessory. Keep in mind a router with an internal battery is a bad idea, something that runs without taking a charge is best.

Having messed with this for a few weeks now I'd try and find the smallest MiFi or hotspot possible since the both brand of cameras use a lot of power and the hotspot will be taking power away from it. I get maybe 10 hours out of a charge running both.

Thanks for the input.. after reading "I installed and within a few days (un)installed and returned the U1000 for it's horrific cloud performance and infuriating software. " I guess I will forgo the Thinkware U1000 for now as the number of complaints for the feature I most wanted (cloud) seem to be poorly functioning. Will instead look at Blackvue. Thanks!

The *only* two things I miss about the Thinkware are the superior nightvision and the extra buttons. I *never* got the live view to work on any of my 3 Android devices. Only randomly on a retired iPhone 4s. The BlackVue cloud is so amazingly better it's not even funny. If that's at the top of your list like it was mine you won't be let down.

The *only* two things I miss about the Thinkware are the superior nightvision and the extra buttons. I *never* got the live view to work on any of my 3 Android devices. Only randomly on a retired iPhone 4s. The BlackVue cloud is so amazingly better it's not even funny. If that's at the top of your list like it was mine you won't be let down.
Just FYI. I had a Thinkware F800 and moved to the BlackVue 900s 2ch. Because of the cloud feature. Had it for about 3 years and I just went back to Thinkware with a U1000. And the reason was that the Thinkware power management is a lot better over BlackVue. After about a year of using the BlackVue. It had run down my brand new optima battery to where the camera would turn off in the middle of the night. Never had that issue with the Thinkware. In parking mode and just hardwired would go for about 24 hours parked. No extra battery.
And yes. The Thinkware app is horrible for setting up the dash cam. And every time you add a new hot spot. But once done is done. And it will run all night and more.

Just FYI. I had a Thinkware F800 and moved to the BlackVue 900s 2ch. Because of the cloud feature. Had it for about 3 years and I just went back to Thinkware with a U1000. And the reason was that the Thinkware power management is a lot better over BlackVue. After about a year of using the BlackVue. It had run down my brand new optima battery to where the camera would turn off in the middle of the night. Never had that issue with the Thinkware. In parking mode and just hardwired would go for about 24 hours parked. No extra battery.
And yes. The Thinkware app is horrible for setting up the dash cam. And every time you add a new hot spot. But once done is done. And it will run all night and more.
I'd tend to agree with you on the power management. With the BlackVue it takes the same power running on motion detection or time lapse; which is what I use now. I've even gone overkill mode and bought the car battery charge cable for the BI-750 and mended a male cigarette lighter plug with an inline fuse. I can now charge the BI-750 with my Golabs R300 and get about 50 hours standby if both are full, all without ever using a watt from the car battery. When the car is in use I flip the DPST interrupt back on and the car dual charges the BI-750 and even the R300 if I want it to, but I generally bring it in the house to charge.

I'd tend to agree with you on the power management. With the BlackVue it takes the same power running on motion detection or time lapse; which is what I use now. I've even gone overkill mode and bought the car battery charge cable for the BI-750 and mended a male cigarette lighter plug with an inline fuse. I can now charge the BI-750 with my Golabs R300 and get about 50 hours standby if both are full, all without ever using a watt from the car battery. When the car is in use I flip the DPST interrupt back on and the car dual charges the BI-750 and even the R300 if I want it to, but I generally bring it in the house to charge.
Good that is working out for you. I have a Jackery 240 that I got for the power outages we ware having in California but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that thing in the truck in summer time. there is been times it hits 120F. don't even want to imagine how much hotter it would be inside the truck.
but so far the camera has stayed on for over a day and the battery in the hotspot has been keeping up with it. but is too early to tell. those batteries run out faster in the summer. so we'll see how it goes. it also has an auto protection off system. so that's another thing. the Jackery also has that feature. it would probably turn itself off even before running out of juice. I know that the hotspot did turn off a few times when I used it in my previous truck when the heat was up there. at the end. my main concern is that the camera stays recording. even if the hotspot turns off once in a while.

Good that is working out for you. I have a Jackery 240 that I got for the power outages we ware having in California but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that thing in the truck in summer time. there is been times it hits 120F. don't even want to imagine how much hotter it would be inside the truck.
but so far the camera has stayed on for over a day and the battery in the hotspot has been keeping up with it. but is too early to tell. those batteries run out faster in the summer. so we'll see how it goes. it also has an auto protection off system. so that's another thing. the Jackery also has that feature. it would probably turn itself off even before running out of juice. I know that the hotspot did turn off a few times when I used it in my previous truck when the heat was up there. at the end. my main concern is that the camera stays recording. even if the hotspot turns off once in a while.
I purposely bought the Golabs because its LiFePo4 like the BI-750. But I havent tested it in the summer yet. I believe the Jackery is Li-Ion so I totally get the concern.

I'm pretty certain that all the Jackery units have over-temp shutoff built in. And while it's not good for the cells, LiIon is safe for storage at a much higher temperature than most people think. It's their charging and discharging temp limits you have to watch for and never exceed. How do I know? A friend has (or had) a vid on YouTube where he used a propane torch on a LiIon flashlight and I watched my car burn to a crisp with a LiIon flashlight in the console. It was at least several hundred degrees for several minutes before the flashlight 'vented with flames'. The story is here on DCT somewhere with all the gory details; it's been many years ago.

LiFePO4 is better in that regard, but not really better in it's charge/discharge temp limits. What catches some people unwaware is that the claimed low-temp protection in these devices is very often absent, including some Jackery units. The BMS circuits usually have only one temp-sensor input and it gets used for the over-temp protection probe. Check out "DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse" on YouTube to learn more LINK HERE He does full teardowns and actual tests of these devices and he likely knows more about the subject than anyone else you'll find.

Phil

Another option, Gel battery. I have four 26AH batteries in the car, can remove them for portable power. They get charged via DC-DC charger while in the car with solar option while camping.
6280308661580697179.jpg

Back