Powering through GPS base causes corruption

j__h

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it common that the GPS base causes issues with power delivery?

I have been noticing horizontal lines appearing in the video when the cam is powered through the GPS base, if I gently push the cam onto the base the lines clear up as well as if powering the cam directly.

I had wanted to power through the base to allow me to easily hide the camera without messing with the the power cord but that is no longer possible with the corruption.

(this is using all the provided gear including USB cable, USB cigarette charger.)

Is it common that the GPS base causes issues with power delivery?

I have been noticing horizontal lines appearing in the video when the cam is powered through the GPS base, if I gently push the cam onto the base the lines clear up as well as if powering the cam directly.

I had wanted to power through the base to allow me to easily hide the camera without messing with the the power cord but that is no longer possible with the corruption.

(this is using all the provided gear including USB cable, USB cigarette charger.)
Not common, but there have been a few reported issues concerning this. Make sure all the pins look OK and that they are all the same height and spring back when pressed.

I believe I am having this issue as well, and then my cam decides to keep alerting me and no videos are recorded. I've since RMA'd the camera and hoping the next one works fine..

IMG_20170313_193028.jpg

I believe I am having this issue as well, and then my cam decides to keep alerting me and no videos are recorded. I've since RMA'd the camera and hoping the next one works fine..

View attachment 29733
If your powering though the GPS mount and experiencing this issue, it could be the mount and not the camera. Did you try powering through the camera directly?

I've had a few customers report this problem. I've sent them a new GPS mount to correct the spring pin conductivity issue. If you need a replacement GPS mount contact your seller. Confirm the mount is bad by powering off the mini USB port on the side of the camera rather than via the mount. (for troubleshooting)

A new re-tooled GPS mount is in development to enhance spring pin connection stability of future GPS mounts. (no ETA)

horizontal lines can occur several ways :
- if only on dashcam LCD, must reconnect both ends of the LCD ribbon cable.
- if on LCD & recorded video clips :
a) clean the 4 gold contact slots on dashcam with 70% isopropyl alcohol on swab.
b) reconnect both ends of yellow ribbon cable from mounting plate to main circuit board.
note: check that the corner case screw hasn't mashed the poorly placed yellow power/GPS ribbon cable.

I also noticed there were lines in my video footage when recording at night. One possible cause might be relating to the GPS pins as others had mentioned. Another could be the grounding of the hard-wiring kit. Make sure you have a solid ground connection and good cables. Bad cables can interfere with signal frequency.

I've had a few customers report this problem. I've sent them a new GPS mount to correct the spring pin conductivity issue. If you need a replacement GPS mount contact your seller. Confirm the mount is bad by powering off the mini USB port on the side of the camera rather than via the mount. (for troubleshooting)

A new re-tooled GPS mount is in development to enhance spring pin connection stability of future GPS mounts. (no ETA)

Are you sure about this?
Same issue here...but jokiin told it wouldn't work?

thx

Are you sure about this?
Same issue here...but jokiin told it wouldn't work?

thx

It's not a 100% guarantee fix for everyone. An updated A119/A119S with a new type of GPS mount (different connection type) will be shipping in April to enhance stability into the future.

:confused: Why can't they just incorporate the GPS within the camera itself? This could save lots of money and headache for everyone.

:confused: Why can't they just incorporate the GPS within the camera itself? This could save lots of money and headache for everyone.

I don't believe there is room in the wedge housing for an additional GPS PCB/Antenna, plus other locations, CMOS might interfere with signal.

It's better to have the GPS external like the Street Guardian SG9665GC does it. (short cable, window mount near by)

1) How much bigger can the camera be given that the camera is already tethered to an external GPS unit?
2) I don't think the GPS signal will interfere. Take a look at our smartphone for example. That's as small as you can get with video/cameras right next to the GPS & cell tower antenna.

Honestly, the only reason I got the GPS was to sync the date/time. I'm not sure if that feature is useful anymore given that the camera keeps on rebooting and has static interference within my video footage.

1) How much bigger can the camera be given that the camera is already tethered to an external GPS unit?.

it would be bigger than what is already in the base, there's no room to put that inside now

2) I don't think the GPS signal will interfere. Take a look at our smartphone for example. That's as small as you can get with video/cameras right next to the GPS & cell tower antenna.

GPS doesn't interfere, other way around, the CMOS sensor interferes with GPS signal which then needs to be accommodated for in the design to minimise that issue which ends up making the design bigger again, the CMOS sensor in phones are tiny by comparison and much less of an issue, they also use A-GPS so less of a problem on cold starts anyway

I don't know if it was already mentioned but powering from the camera also powers the GPS as I've noticed the time/date and speed was synced. Glad that my GPS module wasn't a dud.

the CMOS sensor in phones are tiny by comparison and much less of an issue, they also use A-GPS so less of a problem on cold starts

If so much less of an issue and excuse my ignorance but why not use the same or similar sensors ?

Explain in laymans terms why its not suitable for the task.

no hardware support, no suitable lenses, tiny pixel size would give very poor low light results, would need greater processing resources to get the desired results, plenty of reasons why not, can't think of any benefits that would make it worth the trouble, if anything dashcams could benefit from larger sensors, not smaller ones

You actually were the seller for mine (on Amazon). Would it be possible to get the re-tooled mount when it is available? I have confirmed that powering to the camera directly fixes the issue.

You actually were the seller for mine (on Amazon). Would it be possible to get the re-tooled mount when it is available? I have confirmed that powering to the camera directly fixes the issue.

I've since learned the redesigned contact connection system on the back of all future productions of A119/A119S cameras won't be compatible with the original GPS mount. This means the reverse is true, so existing dashcams won't be compatible with the new re-tooled GPS.

Back