Powermagic pro worked but then not turning on

Maaaaark

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

I have the 750 blackvue 2ch. I installed my PMP at first without issue, but did not fully understand how it would function.

I had the red to ACC, yellow to door lock fuse, and had a decent ground on the frame. Ran on 12V. Turned on, no issue. I wanted to play around with the settings so i tried 24hrs instead of INF. I did not realize i needed to start the car.

Got to the car this after a few days... Camera was not recording. There was no power to my radio(ACC) and doors werent locking. I knew it was the PMP. I was in a hurry so i pulled the fuse taps on both of them and returned the fuses back. Radio and doors worked.

Once I got back home, hooked it back to the fuse taps and set it up as before. Radio and doors were okay now but the PMP wasnt turning on (no light) tried different voltages but no luck.

ANY SUGGESTIONS TO GET IT BACK UP AND RUNNING? Much appreciated.

The fuse tap requires two (2) fuses to work properly (the original supplying the original function and your new one for the camera). check to see if there is voltage at the yellow and and red outputs from your fuse tap. Perhaps the fuse supplying either is not seated properly or defective (blown)

The fuse tap requires two (2) fuses to work properly (the original supplying the original function and your new one for the camera). check to see if there is voltage at the yellow and and red outputs from your fuse tap. Perhaps the fuse supplying either is not seated properly or defective (blown)
Would I have to put the same fuse say 10aml with another 10amp?
@Ralph

No put the original fuse in the socket nearest the 'fuse-board' to fuse the original circuitry correctly and a 3A fuse in the one that feeds the tap cable and the dash cam.

No put the original fuse in the socket nearest the 'fuse-board' to fuse the original circuitry correctly and a 3A fuse in the one that feeds the tap cable and the dash cam.

3Amp fuses are harder to find isnt it? normally autostores store 5amp lowest. I also have a microfuse which will be harder to find. il try ebay

ive also seen a thread here stating to put the PMP to 24volts then start the car to get the power back as the battery might not have enough power ? is there any truth to that?

5A for the PMP will be OK.
re setting PMP to 24V. No, that's blx. If you set the PMP to 24V on a 12V system, the PMP will think the battery is very flat and not start up just like it's supposed to do.

Have you actually got 12V on both the yellow and red wires?
If the PMP is set to 12V, the applied voltage must be about 0.25V higher than that, so that's why it is suggested to start the engine to get the battery voltage up to about 14V to get it to switch on.

Did you have two fuses in the fuse tap before Ralph's post #2, and do you have two in them now?

i dont have a volt meter unfortunately. I have just googled a similar install on a similar model car, thats where I got the idea where to connect it to.

What about my second question re fuses?

Oh, and buy an el cheapo multimeter. THIS {Click} one is cheap enough and good enough for the casual user.

What about my second question re fuses?

oh sorry . i havent tried it yet as I only have 1 5amp fuse at the moment. Will need 1 more . will let you know tomorrow

Here is a reasonable sketch on how a fuse tap works. Any "low" amp fuse will work for you, most folk go for 5 or less.

Attachments

• fuse splitter_main and additional_diagram.jpg
    fuse splitter_main and additional_diagram.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 13
Update guys, waited for my 3 amp fuses from ebay. Everything works now. Rookie mistake . Appreciate all the help!!

I have a power magic pro which worked for a week and also failed. For me its the unit failed. I proved that by shorting out black to black and red to red on the connector and the camera works fine. My local supplier in Thailand only gives a 7 day return, this was 8 days. As my camera is linked to my insurance I was after a quick replacement so I contacted Blackvue. They will not entertain replacement without you returning the unit back to Korea! I even tried to get them swap the units over but no, I have to post it back to Korea. I cannot think of another company that requires a $35 item shipped internationally. It just isnt worth it. Not a happy Blackvue customer.

What voltage setting have you set? Does it switch on if you start the engine?
The main power is the yellow wire. The red wire to the car (Acc+) is only a switch on/hold on connection.
The PMP, if set to 12V needs at least 12.25V supply before it will switch on.

To cover your insurance whilst driving, could you not plug the cam directly into your ciggy power socket?

I do not have the voltage set, I have it set to 12 hours. It failed in service after 7 days during which time it work as it should.. Yes I appreciate the wire colours but so as not to leave it on permanently its red to red. For me, it is more convenient than having wires trailing around.

Seems to be the sort that you get in Thailand:eek:

Unfortunately its rubbish, apparently like the manufacturers customer service. The vendor is the biggest mail order outfit in S.E. Asia, now owned by the Chinese. Some you win, some you lose.

Close, Alibaba actually bought out them out recently.

Back