Praktica CDV2.0 HD Journey Recorder [UK offer £40] INFO?

BMbler

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Dash Cam
blah
661256-703076-290.jpg

http://www.ebuyer.com/703076-praktica-cdv2-0-hd-journey-recorder-with-gps-and-g-sensor-cdv2-0
Features
  • 6.1cm screen
  • 1080 HD video
  • Digital still camera
  • 110º wide angle lens
  • Loop recording
  • Motion detection
  • Emergency recording
  • GPS sensor
  • In car charger
  • Microphone
  • Easy to mount
What's in the box?
  • Camera
  • Charger
  • Mounting kit
  • CD
  • Users guide
Technical Specification
  • Sensor - 3.0 Mega pixels CMOS
  • Lens - F:1:2.4, f = 3.0mm
  • Monitor - 6.1cm / 2.4" LCD
  • Storage medium - Micro SDHC card
  • Ports - USB, HDMI, microphone, loudspeaker
  • Power supply - internal, Li-lon polymer battery
..............................................................................................................................................
http://www.praktica.de/px/index.php?id=796&L=1&tx_prdigital_pi1[showUid]=2896&cHash=d4ffa2e502
Action-Cam with photo function, HD-Video (1080P), 5.0cm (2.0") TFT colour monitor, 120° wide angle view, Loop-function, Movement detection, Storage medium SD / SDHC card Microphone, speaker, HDMI-port, GPS optional

...............................................................................................................................................

Any Technical info?
No components specs, no real performance comparison, that I could find... so absolutely unsure as how it would perform compared to known brands?

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks familiar. I wonder if Praktica had any real involvement in its design or manufacture?

It's cheap, but in the absence of a trustworthy review, who'd buy it when a little more cash buys a Mobius, A118, etc?

I still remember my first SLR in the 70's, it was a Praktica LTL, solid metal and roughly the same weight as a house hold brick and made in E. Germany by Pentacon in Dresden. When a Praktica camera wasn't just a re-badged something or other, I'd be surprised if Praktica/Pentacon has had any involvement with this DVR

"My" first SLR was a olympus, and i used it many times in E. Germany :eek: beeing the son of a high ranking commie have its perks :D
I do think my father still have the camera.

Okay we did visit spots that i/we wasent allowed to use our cameras at, but they wasent confiscated we was just told dont photo :eek:

"My" first SLR was a olympus, and i used it many times in E. Germany :eek: beeing the son of a high ranking commie have its perks :D
I do think my father still have the camera.

Okay we did visit spots that i/we wasent allowed to use our cameras at, but they wasent confiscated we was just told dont photo :eek:

After the Praktica, I got myself on Olympus OM1 shortly after an OM2, this would of been around 1979/1980. then when my OM2 started playing up (out of guarantee) I got myself the OM4, but out of the 3 I liked the OM1 best, after a short spell with Mamiya, I went all Hasselblads

very sorry for going OT nostalgia :)

(memory lane... my dad had 35mm camera....)
anw, shame! as on eBuyer its gone, only other availability is from EU at a way higher price, so

"No components specs, no real performance comparison, that I could find... so absolutely unsure as how it would perform compared to known brands?"

http://www.testberichte.de/p/praktica-tests/cdv-2-0-testbericht.html (in German DE)
autotranslated https://translate.google.com/transl...ica-tests/cdv-2-0-testbericht.html&edit-text=

Praktica CDV2.0
Car camera as Fahrtenprotokollant
With the CDV 2.0 the successor of the CDV 1.0 of Praktica comes on the market. Although the car camera has a slightly smaller display than its predecessor, but also equips with three-megapixel CMOS sensor neatly on. Otherwise, many of the features such as motion detection and loop are known.

Without Wi-Fi
What remains is also unusual for surveillance cameras photo feature. With a resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels, images can be shot, while videos in full HD can be accommodated. As before, Wi-Fi is not on board. But that's what one would expect from a car camera yet. A camera that records the thief of the car, but can not show the owner the thief, because this has disappeared with car including camera, no one brings something. Alternatively, the camera is then used rather than Fahrtenprotokollant and can be an important tool for reconstructing the course of events in accidents.

GPS function
As a reminder you can also quickly recite the image and the characteristics of the person causing the accident. Agent-in microphone clearly audible. This is especially good if the indicator is not visible on the recording. Also beneficial are the possibilities offered by the GPS function.
Minimalist Equipment
If you want, you can activate the motion detection and program the camera so that it receives in motion and at rest pauses. This mainly nocturnal visits or attempted theft are well received. On frills such as self-timer or color filter waived the camera. The focusing range begins only at 1.5 meters in other respects. Is stored on SD, microSD or SDHC cards. The video can be transmitted through HDMI output directly to the TV or download via USB to the PC. A practical car charger is included, as well as a disc holder.
Conclusion
Approximately 185 EUR (Amazon) costs of fun. As Fahrtenprotokollant the camcorder is to use very convenient and good, as a surveillance camera again rather limited operational. After all, a camera can deter a potential thief.

I have just bought one of these from ebuyer - so far so good, everything was working out of the box.

A couple of things I noticed: Firstly the charger cable is approx 3m length and secondly the unit and the acompanying viewer software is in kph and I can see noweher to change to mph (but no big deal).

I have just bought one of these from ebuyer - so far so good, everything was working out of the box.

A couple of things I noticed: Firstly the charger cable is approx 3m length and secondly the unit and the acompanying viewer software is in kph and I can see noweher to change to mph (but no big deal).
Any chance of footage? daytime, less important, but night time is what sorts boys from the poor quality ones ;)

It is available @ £80..... same link
http://www.ebuyer.com/703076-praktica-cdv2-0-hd-journey-recorder-with-gps-and-g-sensor-cdv2-0
and some review,by a user:
Keith Moat · Tutor at Argyll-Ruane
Good points: It's excellent value for money at £40 on offer at EBUYER (although I would question its value if it was at the full price of £80). The video quality is excellent, it's either real 1080p or a very good upscaling. The auto ISO adjustment is adequate, not as good as the more expensive cams like the Dodd LS460W etc.
Bad points: The GPS speed only shows in km/h, no option to change to mph on cam or software. The cam does not charge from USB on the computer. The Supercar software opens with a window bigger than the computer screen and there are no scroll bars on the software, so you can't see what's at the bottom of the screen, changing computer screen resolution made no difference. The software also occasionally crashes when loading a video file (Windows 7). The software also gives poor quality video, grainy and glitchy. I ended up using Windows media player to view the videos, which shows them in their true HD quality.
Verdict: a very good piece of hardware, apart from the average ISO adjustment and the km/h only gps speed, let down by glitchy bundled software.

Fortuneately?? I only paid £40. Will check it out more throughly when I get it back (or replaced by ebuyer) - on close examination there seemed to be a mark inside the lens, not on the lens surface (everything else functioned). I don't think the "Supercar" software is worth having so am planning to view files through Registrator Viewer.

To be fair I bought it to try and learn what these devices can do, ie what works and what doesn't before paying out a lot more and being disappointed.

o_O
wow... is it youtube conversion issue or the actual recording is as bad?

also, is it possible in settings, to disable speed recording?

Brimington - I know that area!

To be honest it's not the worst I've seen - the mount is causing a lot of problems there. Looks like it's in a Ford or something with a heated front windscreen too.

The YT quality looks pretty bad though - not sure if that's upscaled 720p maybe as the fonts etc all look screwy too?

Hi, this is my video and it is Brimington, Chesterfield. Youtube has reduced the quality. For £40 and just over a tenner for the micro sd I thought it was ok.
When I click upload a file, it doesn't find the original video in my documents, to give a comparison.

Welcome to the site in that case - someone from my neck of the woods (due my first night out in Chesterfield in a few years this coming Saturday!)

The upload a file on here is more for pictures - you can set up a free account with mega.co.nz as that's where I stick most of my raw files.

Is there any chance you could upload one there or somewhere like Dropbox please as with it being from eBuyer it could get a lot of interest from people looking for their first dashcam?

After spending 45 mins uploading to dropbox(275mb), the quality is no better than on youtube. It's much better when played directly on my pc on quickplayer.

Ah I think you can still download the raw file from Dropbox - the web player they have like you say still plays a smaller version :)

Received the replacement CDV2.0 from ebuyer today. Have completed a short run into town and then played the whole lot back through Registrator Viewer and am pleased with the clarity of the video, the GPS and other logs. Able to show the speed log in mph in the viewer.

two and half months and it is still working correctly with no problems whatsoever.

I use this dash cam but it seems the internal battery isn't charging as the motion detection as no power to work.
The dash cam is on a switched live.

Back