Pre-order for A229 on May 20th 2022

There are a wide range of memory chips to choose from, and also quite a few controllers, and i think the controllers is the main thing that throw a spanner in the works for us.
Also as i type there are interesting things going on at least with memory chips, but the controllers also need to keep up and they also do i think.

It is a mad dash, right now people are falling over each other regarding the PCI e 5.0 standard, which promise OMG speeds and possibilities, for us that dream of upgrading their PC

Viofo provided me with one of the 128GB cards of theirs, now that was just a year or so ago, and it have not been in service constantly since then, but so far it is working good.

In general it seem to me that Viofo cameras are not fussy about memory cards, at least as long as you stay away from the very cheapest brands and slowest cards.

I notice that the pre-order offer comes with a 128GB SD card. Is this considered big enough for a dual channel 2K + 2K dashcam
For most people it is plenty.

If you want to record and keep a whole week of holiday travel then no current card is big enough!

If you are just going on a long journey and want to keep it all then you can turn the bitrate down a bit.

For commuting you can use maximum bitrate.

I just tried to place a pre-order for this on the .com site from here in the UK.
I paid via paypal andf it seemed to go through until I got back to the viofo site where it mwas asking me to complete the payment using a button which wasn't on display.
I was using firefox, is there any known issues with the site and firefox?
Should I try the order using a different browser?
Don't want to miss the discount deadline :)

I just tried to place a pre-order for this on the .com site from here in the UK.
I paid via paypal andf it seemed to go through until I got back to the viofo site where it mwas asking me to complete the payment using a button which wasn't on display.
I was using firefox, is there any known issues with the site and firefox?
Should I try the order using a different browser?
Don't want to miss the discount deadline :)
Check your email. If there are no order emails, please wait until tomorrow and repeat the order tomorrow
when Viofo employees are at work and you can contact them in case of problems with the order.
You still have time until the end of the discount. ;)

Check your email. If there are no order emails, please wait until tomorrow and repeat the order tomorrow
when Viofo employees are at work and you can contact them in case of problems with the order.
You still have time until the end of the discount. ;)
Will do , thanks.

I notice that the pre-order offer comes with a 128GB SD card. Is this considered big enough for a dual channel 2K + 2K dashcam
Try it and see first.
I would recommend that you also get a 256GB SanDisk MAX Endurance if it is cheap there where you are like it is here in USA.
Everyone should have a backup card anyway.

If you have to resort to reducing bitrates to less than maximum level that the dashcam supports, then you need a bigger card.

The manufacturer's website states:
Just had a dispatch email so looks like they've shipped a couple of days early which is great! Email states it'll take 12-20 business days to arrive though, but not too bad I guess if it's coming from China.

Just had a dispatch email so looks like they've shipped a couple of days early which is great! Email states it'll take 12-20 business days to arrive though, but not too bad I guess if it's coming from China.
Can I ask, did you use paypal to make your payment?
I am trying to do so and am getting nowhere with it. I have a 4 months interest free credit line on paypal but when I try to use it, it succeeds on paypal, goes back to the viofo site which says I need to accept terms etc. but there is no button displayed to do so.
The button looks like it flashes up when the page loads but it isn't persistent and gives me no opportunity to procede.
I have tried Firefox and Chrome on windows and android, cleared cache on both but get the same results every time.
I emailed support yesterday and got a reply this morning saing to try the above and of that doesn't work send a paypal payment directly to them at paypal@viofo.com. This method does not allow me to use any credit line though.
Have to say I'm not overly impressed with the flakey payment portal which is a shame. May have to look at Street Guardian as an alternative.

Can I ask, did you use paypal to make your payment?
I am trying to do so and am getting nowhere with it. I have a 4 months interest free credit line on paypal but when I try to use it, it succeeds on paypal, goes back to the viofo site which says I need to accept terms etc. but there is no button displayed to do so.
The button looks like it flashes up when the page loads but it isn't persistent and gives me no opportunity to procede.
I have tried Firefox and Chrome on windows and android, cleared cache on both but get the same results every time.
I emailed support yesterday and got a reply this morning saing to try the above and of that doesn't work send a paypal payment directly to them at paypal@viofo.com. This method does not allow me to use any credit line though.
Have to say I'm not overly impressed with the flakey payment portal which is a shame. May have to look at Street Guardian as an alternative.
Yes, paid with Paypal, but I believe I had the same problem as you, are you clicking that yellow "Paypal checkout" button? I tried that a few times and it didn't work because it seems to go to paypal first then returns to Viofo and for whatever reason the Viofo site doesn't recognise and complete that Paypal payment. No money was ever taken from these failed attempts so it's a website bug on Viofos end probably.

What worked for me is to go via the "proceed to checkout" button, not the yellow Paypal checkout button, then after entering address and shipping you get to to payment option part of the page (part 3) there will be a white Paypal option you can select, use that one, for me this worked.

Yes, paid with Paypal, but I believe I had the same problem as you, are you clicking that yellow "Paypal checkout" button? I tried that a few times and it didn't work because it seems to go to paypal first then returns to Viofo and for whatever reason the Viofo site doesn't recognise and complete that Paypal payment. No money was ever taken from these failed attempts so it's a website bug on Viofos end probably.

What worked for me is to go via the "proceed to checkout" button, not the yellow Paypal checkout button, then after entering address and shipping you get to to payment option part of the page (part 3) there will be a white Paypal option you can select, use that one, for me this worked.
Thanks I'll try that.

Yes, that was it. Worked first time
Order now in and confirmed.
Thanks for the tip

Are you getting any info on the tracking link they sent? Mine comes back unknown.

Are you getting any info on the tracking link they sent? Mine comes back unknown.
We try our best to fulfill and ship out all paid orders within 2-3 business days. The order which placed on weekend or holiday will be shipped out on the next business day.

That is normal until it gets either into a major shipping company or into your local shipping system. Nothing to worry about.

I was getting "unknown" also till today, now I can see some tracking history, it's with the shipping company in China awaiting despatch so should be getting it within the 12 to 20 business days stated.

I was getting "unknown" also till today, now I can see some tracking history, it's with the shipping company in China awaiting despatch so should be getting it within the 12 to 20 business days stated.
Thanks for the update. I'm still getting "unknown" on mine but I was later than you with my order. I'll keep an eye out. Be interesting to see how long it takes overall.

Thanks for the update. I'm still getting "unknown" on mine but I was later than you with my order. I'll keep an eye out. Be interesting to see how long it takes overall.
was still "unknown" last night and early this morning. But just checked again and it's now showing as "LHR/ arrival of goods at destination airport". Fingers crossed customs don't hold it up too long.

Arrived today. Well packaged and all looks good. Looking forward to trying it out. I'll report back how I get on. Won't be quick though as I'm a dash cam virgin.

Arrived today. Well packaged and all looks good. Looking forward to trying it out. I'll report back how I get on. Won't be quick though as I'm a dash cam virgin.
Start off by testing it as it arrived, before changing all the settings, and before updating firmware - then you will know if any problems are original or caused by you!

Default settings are decent. I don't know what firmware you will have, but it will be good enough to get started with.

Back