Previous owners of the DR750S-2CH

in2ndo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All.

So the 900s 2ch is my first BlackVue. My previous was a Thinkware 800.
You guys that have upgraded from the BV 750. Any regrets? Was the upgrade worth it?
I’m not completely happy with the 900. Specially with the night time recording.
The 4K is nothing special. Specially when looking at license plates. I can only compare to the Thinkware 800.. and the difference is so small. That when the plates are unreadable on one. They’re unreadable on the other.
So I’m thinking in getting the BV 750.
But wanted to hear from previous owners that now have the 900.

Thanks.

Several respondents here have opined that the 750 with the Sony StarViz sensor @1080 has better night footage than the 900 @1440. This is backed up by several videos and/or still shots.

And capturing more light mean you can either run a lowe ISO or a faster exposure time, and at least faster expsure times should mean less motion blur in less that optimal situations.

Thank you for the replies. But I’m looking for experiences from people who actually owned both.
I’ve done the google thing. And seen a bunch of videos. But I don’t think that can replace the actual human and personal experience.

the 750 is going to be similar to your 800

I watch a video.. where it seems the 750 has a setting to manage the night time view.. and there was a huge difference from one setting to another. The Thinkware doesn’t have this option. Have you experienced both?

I upgraded from the 750s to the 900s. No regrets. The 4K / 30 FPS front camera quality is noticeably better than the 1080p / 60 FPS front. License plates are much clearer from longer distances. This is with reasonable light... think cloudy daytime to sunny clear daytime lighting.

At night, the 900s picks up less light and has darker video, but the 750s night mode was much grainier so making out plates in low light wasn’t particularly good with either camera. The rear cameras are the same so it’s a wash there.

I watch a video.. where it seems the 750 has a setting to manage the night time view.. and there was a huge difference from one setting to another. The Thinkware doesn’t have this option. Have you experienced both?
if you use the night vision setting it becomes very grainy as mentioned above, I think the 750 maybe has a little better video overall than the 800, not significantly though

I’m looking for experiences from people who actually owned both {snip} But I don’t think that can replace the actual human and personal experience.
What could be better than 750 and 900 side by side videos taken at the same time under the same lighting conditions from the same car? You can then make your own objective assessment and not rely on the subjective musings of others whose opinions may not completely align with yours.

The 750 is clearly and demonstrably the 'better' camera in low light conditions, and this appeared to be your primary concern in post #1.

Another, purely academic in this case, 'advantage' of the 750 is that it's a lot less expensive than the 900 (I deliberately avoided the use of the word 'cheaper'). Although presumably this aspect is not of major concern to you.

I have two 750 2CH and a 550 2CH and am hard pushed to see any difference in PQ under good lighting conditions, but the low light PQ of the 750 beats the 550 and they have the same resolution/size sensor, so it's not just sensor/pixel size that comes into play here.

I didn't buy a 750 and upgrade but I did a TON of research into the two before deciding on the 900. There's a pretty good comparison video on youtube that shows the same route being driven with the 750 and 900 the 900 is just crisper.

Take a look at this video. Make sure you have the settings cranked up so it's not down-sampling the video too much.

Back