Probable dying Battery

RoVic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Next Base 522GW
"Think" this may be a question for tiffany, Over the last month I've noticed the life of the battery on my 512GW slowly getting poor.
when I now switch the engine off the display on the Cam says to connect it to a USB feed as the cam is not fully charging.
I've charged it two time in this manner but it isn't curing the problem.
The cam is hard wired with the hard wire kit which was bought along with the 512GW.
Now! is the Battery in the 512GW replaceable? if so where would i purchase such a battery?
This is the very first time I've had any problem with the cam, its been working flawlessly along with the rear view cam since receiving them ………..

Any Advice or Info much appreciated ………. Thanks (y)

Hi @RoVic

You haven't had it long (from memory)? If you charge for 2 hours, how long does it remain on for after this when under its own power?

Hi @RoVic

You haven't had it long (from memory)? If you charge for 2 hours, how long does it remain on for after this when under its own power?

Hello Tiffany,
not sure on that one but will give it go at the weekend. At the moment if I give it a charge then replace it in the motor it would start to give the charge warning maybe three or four days after? I did notice One time after I’d left the motor then when I returned after about ten minutes the cam had crashed with the very last Image Remaining in view. To return the cam to normal I’d have to reset it....

If its fine for a bit that sounds like the battery is draining slowly, not being charged enough each day.

How long have you had it for? They're relatively new, I'd be surprised/disappointed :( if it does need a new battery. You have the rear cam connected?

If its fine for a bit that sounds like the battery is draining slowly, not being charged enough each day.

How long have you had it for? They're relatively new, I'd be surprised/disappointed :( if it does need a new battery. You have the rear cam connected?

I've done the cam test you asked me to do, Gave the cam a two hour charge, it lasted 43 minutes active (Not on record) I do have a rear view cam connected permanently. I've had the cam since 20-11-17 …. it gets a regular charge each day of about two X 40 minutes (work and back) and of cause other trips.

Great thank you - the battery inside is working normally then.

Have you got parking mode turned on?

Great thank you - the battery inside is working normally then.

Have you got parking mode turned on?

No i don't have parking mode on, but I think I know the problem again I noticed after turning the ignition off the cam isn't shutting down. It seems to freeze leaving the last image in view. this gives me the false idea that the battery isn't holding a charge and the cam telling me connect to a USB to charge it. this is more of a pain then an inconvenience cause I just have to reset the cam for normal use …...

Do you still have a rear cam connected RoVic?

Do you still have a rear cam connected RoVic?

Yes I do its connected permanently ……… are you going to ask me to disconnect the rear cam ?? to see how the front cam reacts … I'll give it a go tomorrow !!! (y)

Yes I do its connected permanently ……… are you going to ask me to disconnect the rear cam ?? to see how the front cam reacts … I'll give it a go tomorrow !!! (y)

Update:
Well...………… I've not had the rear cam connected for two days and so far the front cam has been behaving itself ?? so am I to assume its the rear cam at fault ??

Update:
Well...………… I've not had the rear cam connected for two days and so far the front cam has been behaving itself ?? so am I to assume its the rear cam at fault ??
Hi. Did you manage to resolve this. I have the rear camera too and the dashcam is contantly showing Low Battery even after a long drive. The dashcam is 1 year old so I was thinking it was the internal battery going bad. Did a replacement cable fix the problem?

Hi. Did you manage to resolve this. I have the rear camera too and the dashcam is contantly showing Low Battery even after a long drive. The dashcam is 1 year old so I was thinking it was the internal battery going bad. Did a replacement cable fix the problem?

@FlashG75
No mate!! but in a way yes!! NextBase Tiffany gave all the help untill it was exhausted, I decided to disconnect the rear view cam as i suspected that was where the fault was and ever since the 512GW has been faultless .........

@FlashG75 if you charge it in the house for 2 hours, then turn on - how long does it last?
I charged the camera last night for about 8 hours. This morning I turned the camera on and started recording, without external power.

The first battery bar dissapeared after 10 min, the 2nd after 15minutes, the 3rd after 34min (shows low battery), shutdown after 36min.

Thats seems to be ok to me. I will try again with the rear camera attached to see what the differece is.

Ok that is good news @FlashG75 the 512GW battery is working.

It may need a periodic charge especially with the Rear Cam, how long have you had it installed?

Ok that is good news @FlashG75 the 512GW battery is working.

It may need a periodic charge especially with the Rear Cam, how long have you had it installed?
The 512GW is exaclty one year old. The rear camera I purchased directly from Tiffany when they were released. I dont understand why the camera would need to be charged periodically in the house when it is getting charged in the car. The electricity is the same and plenty of long trips per week to keep it topped up.

The battery will be used over time as its auto powering off and any parking mode files (if you've got in on), if this is the first time you've had to charge it in 1 year of use, you won't have to do it regularly.

Charge it up again (because we discharged it full to test) and then continue use.

The battery will be used over time as its auto powering off and any parking mode files (if you've got in on), if this is the first time you've had to charge it in 1 year of use, you won't have to do it regularly.

Charge it up again (because we discharged it full to test) and then continue use.
Yes, thats understood. It is set to auto power off and it does have parking mode enabled and these to make use of the battery. However after a long drive i would expect the battery to have had enough time to store some charge, instead it always seems to be on low battery and never get fully charged by the hardwire kit.

I have run two test to check the battery runtime. Each time i fully charged for minimum 4 hours. Then turned on the recording and noted the battery status. First test was without the rear camera, 2nd test with the rear camera plugged in. As expected the battery runs down faster with the rear camera but still gives 17mins. Two cameras, half the time seems ok to me.

Without rear camera - First battery bar dissapeared after 10 min / 2nd after 15minutes / 3rd after 34min (shows low battery) / shutdown after 36min.
With rear camera - First battery bar dissapeared after 2 min / 2nd after 3minutes / 3rd after 14min (shows low battery) / shutdown after 17min.

So, it appears that the battery is ok and the runtime from a fully chargeg battery is fine. The problems seems to be that the camera is not getting fully charge from the hardwire kit even after long drives.

Good, that is good news there isn't a hardware fault.

Did you fit the hardwire kit yourself?

Back