Probably Solved: Dashcamviewer can't play video's from front camera

968mint

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
From other postings I conclude that a lot of people use the software Dashcamviewer the view and process the movies on the pc and view additionel data as gps, speed, etc.
I installed the free version (2 movies max) but when loading a movie the screen stays black. however I can see the addition data (size resolution movie, speed, gps data but not the movie. However I can see the (automatically) loaded movie from the rearview camera!!.
I installed the advised codec pack. Movies can be played with windows movie and vlc.
I use windows 10 same problem on three different systems, basic to high end game pc.

Sadly now dedicated viewer by viofo, but this is the one they advised on viofo.com and according to the Dashcam viewer website it should support the A129 pro.

Does someone has the same problems or a solution.

I asked viofo.nl advice use vlc or movie player. yes..... Buy a convertible, if the top doesn't open, solution from carcompany, open the side windows.

as a test set the front camera resolution to 1080p30 and see if Dashcam Viewer will play the files then

if it plays at 1080p30 but not at 4k best to ask @traveler for further advice

From other postings I conclude that a lot of people use the software Dashcamviewer the view and process the movies on the pc and view additionel data as gps, speed, etc.
I installed the free version (2 movies max) but when loading a movie the screen stays black. however I can see the addition data (size resolution movie, speed, gps data but not the movie. However I can see the (automatically) loaded movie from the rearview camera!!.
I installed the advised codec pack. Movies can be played with windows movie and vlc.
I use windows 10 same problem on three different systems, basic to high end game pc.

Sadly now dedicated viewer by viofo, but this is the one they advised on viofo.com and according to the Dashcam viewer website it should support the A129 pro.

I asked viofo.nl advice use vlc or movie player. yes..... Buy a convertible, if the top doesn't open, solution from carcompany, open the side windows.
Are you recording at H.265 or H.264? I've heard that H.265 may cause issues if your computer doesn't have the hardware to handle (translation: if you're computer is old, then it won't be able to handle it). Recommend you take Jokiin's advice above.

H264 or H265 does not make any difference.
Front cam videos dont play in dashcamviewer even with an high end pc.

@jokiin advice. Lower res does not work either.
Moreover thats not the idea of an 4k dashcam.......

H264 or H265 does not make any difference.
Front cam videos dont play in dashcamviewer even with an high end pc.

@jokiin advice. Lower res does not work either.
Moreover thats not the idea of an 4k dashcam.......
it was suggested as a test, not a fix

if it doesn't play at 1080p try on a different computer

You should try to install different codec pack (in my case Shark007, set to use LAV splitter). I've tested it now to play h265 via old Dashcamviewer 3.2.5 version (forgotten relic in my PC) and it works no problem.

Interesting.... I use H265 and work great, but initially I used the default H264 and it didn't play smoothly. I was thinking it was a driver issue or missing resource. Later on, I played H264 from other non VIOFO video and played like it should.

Seems to suggest an issue with the way H264 is recorded/software bug with VIOFO firmware.

Fortunately, i don't use h264 as I prefer H265, work better and seem to be as good or better quality. No issue with H265 on any of my iPad or iPhones and MacBook Pro laptops.

Perhaps the next firmware update may reveal the issue.

Works okay here with VLC, Apple Photo, Quicktime or Elmedia. I prefer VLC or Quicktime and when keeping a video, I add it to my Apple Photo and no issue there as long as I used H265.

This may relate with the codec.

We can confirm the latest Dashcam viewer can play A129 PRO 4K video on Windows 10.

Interesting.... I use H265 and work great, but initially I used the default H264 and it didn't play smoothly. I was thinking it was a driver issue or missing resource. Later on, I played H264 from other non VIOFO video and played like it should.

Seems to suggest an issue with the way H264 is recorded/software bug with VIOFO firmware.

Fortunately, i don't use h264 as I prefer H265, work better and seem to be as good or better quality. No issue with H265 on any of my iPad or iPhones and MacBook Pro laptops.

Perhaps the next firmware update may reveal the issue.

Works okay here with VLC, Apple Photo, Quicktime or Elmedia. I prefer VLC or Quicktime and when keeping a video, I add it to my Apple Photo and no issue there as long as I used H265.
The H264 codec didn't play smoothly on MAC with Quicktime, the H.265 is OK.

Yes, VIOFO H264 is the issue, but no issue when using VIOFO H265. Not sure, if I explain it right.

However, I tested recording that Used H264 from apple video sites and no issue to play it with Quicktime or apple photo. Even some of my old video files that used H264 no issues.

I thought that was interesting piece of observation. Something is different? Perhaps it an implementation issue?

Low priority, nonexistent for me, mostly for those who don't have the hardware for H265.

Apple is releasing a trial for Final cut Pro and Logic Pro. They provide a full suit of video drivers. Will install it to see if it helps with H264.

Last summer I was testing Nextbase dash cam 522gw, which I returned as there WIFI was useless, crashes, lockup and support couldn't fix it, so return it within my window return option. It is not 4k, (2560 x 1440) but it used H264 and no issues at all, ever. Haven't tested against 4k video as the unit wasn't a 4k unit. My older iphones used H264 and no issue, however again, it wasn't 4k video. So inconclusive at this time.. Current apple devices uses HVEC and HEIF/HEIC.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.17.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.17.13 PM.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
We have reported this to Novatek before, but they haven't given a good answer and resolution. The only solution is using H.265 if playback or edit video on MAC.

Yes, I was aware, just responding to the forum concerns in the event they missed older messages. No issue here... All is well
Keep up the good work.

Good news!

This morning, while trying Nath's advice : You should try to install different codec pack (in my case Shark007, set to use LAV splitter). I've tested it now to play h265 via old Dashcamviewer 3.2.5 version (forgotten relic in my PC) and it works no problem. This did not work, message codec missing (tried it on a spare ms surface) .

After starting dashcamviewer this message: new version 3.4.1. Installed this on my main PC. Now everythings (and so far) works as it should!
I can play H264 and H265 files in all resolutions
Even directly from my sd card (usb3 card reader)

and all this with my old 2008 i7 920 6.0GB nvidia geforce gt 1030 (videocard is 3 years old)

Note: all Windows 10 64 bit PC

Probably Earthshine Software fixed something from 3.4.0 to 3.4.1 (I did't change any codecs, still the adviced codec pack)
Another option might be: now the new software version is installed with the codecs in place, with 3.4.0 the codec were installed after the dashcam software but can't imagine thats was the issue (pc restarted several times).

I will test it today, if it remains positive, I wil buy the full version.

In the meanwhile discovered that if I download movies (wifi) from dashcam (viofo app) and play movies within the app an map is shown but this has limited options and is a little inconvenient.

Better to put this good news on the forum right away, thanks for your input.

We have reported this to Novatek before, but they haven't given a good answer and resolution. The only solution is using H.265 if playback or edit video on MAC.

How do you change the recording codec on the A129?

Yes not long purchased Viofo A129 Plus Duo and tried the Free Version of Dashcam Viewer but like you just a black screen. I also changed to H265 and still the same so very dissapointed as I purchased the Viofo specifically for the GPS - I can view my videos on VCL perfectly but sadly no GPS

Back