Problem of repeated restart without recording.

Yudia

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Dash Cam
mini0805 mini0906 A129DUO K2D
There are many defects.
There is an abnormality that repeatedly restarts due to the watchdog timer caused by the product chipset or firmware.
shared video and snap link (There is a one week download period.)

This is due to the serial communication via the encoded camera's USB cable or the decoding by the Novatek chipset or the firmware that handles them.

Problems have frequently occurred since the purchase of K2S.

Ali's official seller did not solve it.
The situation was also sent to the development department commented here, but the problem was left unattended.

Since there is no correspondence, we will report here.
Best regards

Konnichiwa Yudia, welcome to the forum.

What way do you power your camera ? ( hard wire / OBD dongle or other )
If you use a USB port in your car, or maybe some other USB adapter these can often be too weak to power a dashcam, this will cause the camera to be unstable. ( maybe you can try another source of power if you used the one that came with the camera, it is not often but sometimes a power supply can be bad )
What memory card do you use, and where did you get it from.
Have you tried to run the unit with just one of the cameras at a time ( maybe test each camera one at a time in the camera #1 port )

Let me highlight @Rayman.Chan to see if have any help for you.

Last edited:
@ kamkar1
kon nichiwa (^^)

Unfortunately, in addition to the included USB power supply, this is the result of verification using several power supplies (2.4 A or more current capacity).

The cigar socket power supply (USB DC-DC converter) is always connected to the power supply.

The OBD wiring is not yet connected.

USB type-C (standard 5V power supply) supplies power while parking.

About video of today's date
Because of the unstable condition, last night I turned off the logic switch of the main unit with USB power and got off the car.

When I turned on the logic switch this morning, K2S repeated the "Drive safe" speech synthesis process.

Perhaps every Dashcam has an internal voltage regulator that drops its voltage to create a separate power source for driving the camera and chipset.

Further, the power source that has dropped in voltage is stored in the capacitor as a stabilized power source.

When an inrush current occurs, the drive recorder power is temporarily turned off, and the power is not turned on unless the voltage reaches a certain standard.
(From a logical perspective)

I don't know if the person I emailed was, but I shared a video about this bug with someone like @ Rayman.Chan.

He pointed out that this is a problem with the connection between the USB type-C connector on the K2S and the camera.
(The gloss of the LCD protective film due to the reflection of light appears to him as if the terminal of the type-C cable was disconnected.)

However, USB is just serial communication.
There is only either connection or not.

The case where the serial communication camera becomes such a distorted image can only be considered as an influence of the encoding / decoding process of the codec.

Perhaps the chipset has overflowed due to the camera image.

Whether it is a software problem or a hardware problem is unknown.

The wireless remote engine starter will not function at the time when the trouble occurs.

The Radar Speed Detector also malfunctions.
(The Radar Speed Detector uses a super herodyne system with strong directivity.)

When the camera cable connected to the K2S is brought close to the Radar Speed Detector, only a false alarm is generated.

Considering this situation, K2S will be a source of noise for some reason and the process tree will hang up for some reason.

After that, restart is repeated by the watchdog timer.

I'm sorry to write a lot.

I'm talking about this because I was a reliable manufacturer.

Thank you politely

@ kamkar1
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the microSD card.

It was verified with a Lexar A1 64GB newly purchased for verification and the Samsung Evo + 32GB used in the mini 0805, mini0906, etc. from the past.

We also tested on a product under the brand Team.

Regarding the reliability of the SD card, I confirmed that there are no bad blocks.

Thank you politely

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191130_211033.jpg
    Screenshot_20191130_211033.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 3
from Yudia's mail and video, we found the cable holder is not locked corretly, so the camera cable was bent which bring bad connection.
After Yudia re-locked the cable holder yesterday, the problem is solved.

for other users, we also suggest to check the cable connection if the image is tearing or freeze.

see the snaps from Yudia's shot below, we can clearly see the texture on the dash board from the gap between holder and recorder body:

1.jpg
2.jpg

Since the mount is attached and detached many times, it is difficult to know exactly when the video was captured.

However, it is completely locked with the nails.
I understand because it is a very strong mount.

The screw is not used, but the cable mount is completely fixed.
The K2S cable mount is strong and cannot be removed easily.

About 20 minutes after starting driving this morning, suddenly the voice synthesis called “Start Record” was repeatedly played.

As I was very worried, when I watched K2S while waiting for a signal, the rear video was confused and K2S repeatedly restarted.

Just before K2S video is disturbed, there is a unique that frequent drop frames occur with delay.

It is as if the buffer from the camera could not be processed.

The official seller said the camera was perfect, but I'm particularly concerned about disconnections in the module and bad mounting solder.

In fact, clip audio was also frequently generated from the GPS module speakers.

This is the same symptom that another user pointed out in the forum this spring.

i'm now verifying by swapping USB1 (front) and USB2 (rear) cameras port.

If the USB1 (rear) video is disturbed in this state, an accidental camera failure may be considered.

If the USB2 (front) video crashes, the possibility of a malfunction of the K2S main unit increases.

As I always feel, sellers and suppliers tend not to take serious bug reports from buyers.

The answer is not technical and the opinion of the manufacturer tends to be too unilateral.

It is very confusing for buyers.

Even if I pointed out that K2S was restarted by the watchdog timer, I didn't try to understand the situation at all, and there was no answer.

In most cases, it becomes an argument like this time when it becomes a technical trouble.

Even if you make a product, you don't try to understand the problem.

The symptoms were confirmed with the cable connected to the USB port replaced.
In either case, only the rear camera image crashes, and then K2S restarts.

A video of a terrible bug I encountered.

K2S cannot decode the incomplete encoding of the rear camera, causing the process tree to hang.

Since the process tree hangs up, it is in a state of repeated restarts by the watchdog timer.

The cause of the broken rear camera encoding is due to an accidental defect in the camera element or an incidental defect in the encoding LSI built into the camera unit.

However, both the seller and the manufacturer insist only on the opinion that the product is perfect. And it doesn't admit any initial failure of the camera unit.
スクリーンショット (248).jpg

Even if you request replacement and reshipment of the camera unit that is causing the initial failure, the official seller will only ask for additional costs.

Manufacturer and seller opinion
=====
The camera was tested very careful and several times, sensor is not so easy to have problem.We still think that the issue is the connection
=====

My opinion
=====
An expensive product that does not move due to malfunction.

Therefore, I feel anxious.

Since the mini0805 that I used regularly was too perfect, I will compare the completeness of the products.
Read
The fact that a personal shipping fee is required to replace the rear camera that stops when connected is also a cause that I do not understand.

I want you to understand.
=====

@Rayman
If you are an engineer, you should be able to understand from this situation that the initial failure of the camera unit (probably the encoding processor) is the trigger for the crash of this video.

There are also other potential defects.
He claims "There are 4pcs K2S run without GPS in our testing vehicle".
スクリーンショット (249).png

It only claims that the product is normal, but has not performed various verifications.

Highly reproducible bug I confirmed
Front EV 2/3, Rear EV 1/3
Front: 720p 60fps Rear: 720p 60fps

Situation: When K2S is turned on in the dark at night.

In this case, if the front and rear are at 720p 60fps, the rear gain will be much higher than at 1080p 30fps, and the LCD will be in white noise only.

With the current firmware, the parameters for rear exposure are fixed with the power on in this situation.
Since all rear camera exposure compensation is disabled, the camera's video output gain is increased and the LCD is in a state of white noise only.

However, I do not know the relevance of this bug.

When I point out a bug, most sellers and manufacturers dislike it.
(Don't accept the truth, leave it alone)

From the manufacturer's point of view, i may look like a “technical claimer”, but this shows that it can be a good product if improved.

In the first place, I don't point out bugs in products that have no future, so I find this product worthy.

I want various people to understand.
Thank you carefully.

About verification to date
At in this thread, I gave an opinion on the result of replacing the USB PORT.

This text contains the contents of a personal email about the initial failure of this product.

today,
Although it was verified without using the cable mount, the video crashed only at the port where the rear camera was connected.

Is this port RAW, not official USB?
In that case, the data volume of the video becomes extremely large, so Novatek's SoC on K2S is greatly affected by camera defects.

A complete drop frame, not a time lapse.
In the time lapse of the parking mode, the color of the “G” icon changes, so these differences can be judged.

Also, even if the time lapse switches to driving mode, repeating the “start record” every few seconds will not be in Manufacturer specification.

In addition, the video that remains after a delay occurs and the video crashes has a unique file size.

The time lapse of K2S has the feature that large files of 200MB or more are created.

It is also impossible capacity that does not consider the upper limit of FAT32.

However, when the video crashes and restarts, the video is often less than 4MB to 20MB.

This means that the video file and the h264 codec are incomplete.

Even with only the rear camera inserted into port 1, the video crashes and restarts.

Regarding the possibility of initial failure of the camera element,
Why don't Manufacturer and seller think about the initial malfunction of the camera?
It is difficult for anyone to understand that there is a cause in the USB cable.

The cause of restart can only be thought of as a malfunction of the camera module or the camera unit's built-in encoder.

It can only be thought that the initial failure of a simple camera unit leads to this problem.

I wouldn't have made a logical claim if the seller immediately responded to the reshipment of the camera unit when checking for the initial failure of the camera unit.

Since the time of mini0906, Manufacturer product has lost stability.
Since SoC changed from Ambrella to Novatek, the system has become unstable.

I can give this Manufacturer and seller opinion because i'm a real user.

So I would like to cooperate with product debugging as much as possible.

The symptoms were confirmed with the cable connected to the USB port replaced.
In either case, only the rear camera image crashes, and then K2S restarts.

Yudia, from the first time you share this video, I have told you the cable holder connection have problem. the top clamp is locked correctly, but the BOTTOM CLAMP is not locked, you can carefully check the video at 1:07 where we can clear see the dash board texture through the gap between cable holder and recorder body.
Thus all the cables are align there obliquely, which caused connection problem.
NO cable holder is better than MISTAKE cable holder.

by the way, do you have other cloud space for the videos? I spent half hour to download this video file, tried many times for the other files in another page but no luck

OK get some videos in another page, those are the tearing images from rear camera, which caused by the bad connection of rear camera.

notice again, please check those time points in your first video, which shown the cable holder problem:

2-jpg.49783

However, it is completely locked with the nails.
I understand because it is a very strong mount.

The screw is not used, but the cable mount is completely fixed. ----- check the image in my last post for a cable connection
The K2S cable mount is strong and cannot be removed easily.

About 20 minutes after starting driving this morning, suddenly the voice synthesis called “Start Record” was repeatedly played. ------ if the recorder detect one camera removed, it will switch to single camera mode and tell you "start recording"; or change to parking recording mode.

As I was very worried, when I watched K2S while waiting for a signal, the rear video was confused and K2S repeatedly restarted. ----- check the image in my last post for a cable connection

Just before K2S video is disturbed, there is a unique that frequent drop frames occur with delay. ----- check the image in my last post for a cable connection

It is as if the buffer from the camera could not be processed. ----- because the signal transmission is disturbed by bad cable connection

The official seller said the camera was perfect, but I'm particularly concerned about disconnections in the module and bad mounting solder. ----- check the image in my last post for a cable connection

In fact, clip audio was also frequently generated from the GPS module speakers. ----- need a video to check out what is happending

This is the same symptom that another user pointed out in the forum this spring.

i'm now verifying by swapping USB1 (front) and USB2 (rear) cameras port.

If the USB1 (rear) video is disturbed in this state, an accidental camera failure may be considered.

If the USB2 (front) video crashes, the possibility of a malfunction of the K2S main unit increases. ----- check the image in my last post for a cable connection

As I always feel, sellers and suppliers tend not to take serious bug reports from buyers. ----- we are here to listen, and the sevice mail account is checked everyday

The answer is not technical and the opinion of the manufacturer tends to be too unilateral. ------ Ugh, well, I think I do my best to act as "technical"

It is very confusing for buyers.

Even if I pointed out that K2S was restarted by the watchdog timer, I didn't try to understand the situation at all, and there was no answer. ------ As I told, it is freezed because bad rear camera connection and restart

In most cases, it becomes an argument like this time when it becomes a technical trouble. ------ I am doing my best to call your attention on the image of the bad connection

Even if you make a product, you don't try to understand the problem. ------ we understand clearly where the problem came from, please check the image in my last post for a cable connection

by the way, if a refund with product return will solve your problem, we are OK to go.
we do our best to support and satisfy our fans all the time.

It is as if the buffer from the camera could not be processed. ----- because the signal transmission is disturbed by bad cable connection
After all, it was judged that the cause of the problem was the buffer, so the camera that sent the broken signal to the buffer was the cause of the problem.

Camera communication and USB cables have specific protocols. Therefore, it has a function to recover even if a contact failure occurs in the cable.
(Otherwise,
the USB connection on the computer loses communication even if the cable moves slightly. These serial communications have special connections to recover from broken sessions. The protocol for this connection is This is a protocol that has been around since the analog modem era, so it can maintain a normal state even if the connection is slightly interrupted. Established over 25 years ago)

In the case of serial connection, it seems to be a specification that normally closes the file when the buffer of the K2S main unit stops.

This is also a case that can be confirmed by other K2S users.
Even if the cable connection is incomplete, this kind of image distortion does not occur.

Anyone can verify the situation
When K2S is ON, try to disconnect or pierce the USB1 or USB2 camera with unstable connection.
For these images, either "Normally" or "No image".

Perhaps no one will verify that the video will crash into purple or green.

This symptom is caused by a malfunction of the encoder or camera element.
Even those who own ordinary digital cameras will experience the exact same screen when using aged CCD or CMOS devices.

Even a high-end camera called Starvis can cause accidentally defective products.

@Rayman.Chan
You misunderstand the reliability of Starvis' initial operation.

Even if you use a famous manufacturer's product, accidental initial failure will always occur in that manufacturer.

This time, the camera using Starvis that has caused the accidental initial failure has just arrived at my hand.

You tell the parts supplier that you and K2S weren't bad, but that there was an accidental initial failure, and just re-shipping the camera closes the problem.

I want you to understand.
Thank you carefully.

@Rayman.Chan
I won't complain if the product is stable and functioning properly.

You will only comment on feature suggestions for product evolution.
If there are no problems, it will be a good comment effective for the manufacturer.

I want you to understand the situation.
You can evolve it.

Thank you carefully.

Hi Yudia,

"When K2S is ON, try to disconnect or pierce the USB1 or USB2 camera with unstable connection. " ------ if the connection of USB1 is bad, the camera will have break image or even freeze; if the connection of USB2 is bad, there will be break image or no cam2 image.

the camera cable of K2S is not on the same level of a common USB cable, also the connectors.
the signal transmission protocol is LVDS, not USB protocol. For more detail information of LVDS, you may consult THine Electronics, Inc JP.
the cable carry more than 100Mb compressless image data when recording, the cable impedance must be 100R to avoid signal loss.
a common USB camera deliver around 3Mb to 5Mb image data, you don't need to concern the cable quality and connection quality too much.

in summary, when using the K2S, you must make sure the cable connection is stable.

@Rayman.Chan
I'm really happy because you said a very good professional answer !!

I was waiting for this story.
Thank you.

In the case of this communication standard, there is a possibility that any pair of cables has noise.
It is not K2S but other noise.

There is a possibility of runaway because it is mixed.

Even if the cable was replaced, it did not improve, so it is impossible for an individual like me to identify the cause.

If you are not angry, I would like to disassemble the camera and check the actual situation.
(Sellers of other manufacturers get angry when I disassemble the product, check the circuit and point out that different parts are used)

The rear camera cable runs through the car body top side. (Because it is as close to GND as possible, noise is difficult to enter.)

If the camera signal is floating, there is a possibility of a crash due to data loss this time, so I will check as much as possible.

Thank you for the really good news.

By the way, it becomes the playback mode from the camera screen, and even if it tries to return to the camera screen from the menu by the button operation, it becomes the playback mode again and sometimes does not return to the home screen.

Today I was able to accidentally shoot two different videos.
(When I tried to shoot with a smartphone, I couldn't shoot the video because the symptoms were temporarily fixed for some reason.)

A video that restarts and a video that stops responding. And videos that do not switch to the camera screen.

Can I share this video here?
However, the contents are in a state that makes me feel uncomfortable while watching the video.

Have a good weekend and great days.
Rayman

Thank you for your kindness.

Yesterday's video.

Originally
After “Playback Mode” and “Setting”, use the function keys to switch to “Live View (Recording Mode)”.

However, if you press the function key after “Playback Mode” or “Setting”, you will return to “Playback Mode” without permission.

This is a problem that occurred suddenly and indefinitely from the beginning.

At the same time, this video shows the K2S itself restarting itself.
@Rayman.Chan This is the video you wanted.

I also understood LVDS.
This is a very old method, and is based on the same principle as a twisted pair of LAN cables.

However, if K2S is using LVDS for serial communication from the camera, the cable will not be able to communicate properly unless it is a twisted pair.

@Rayman.Chan Is the Type-C cable used in this system a twisted cable that conforms to the LVDS standard?

In addition, LVDS is very noise-resistant as a feature of the standard, and seems to be the most suitable standard for long-distance communication at very high speed.
スクリーンショット (250).jpg

The LVDS standard also does not generate noise due to interference with its own magnetic field.

However, with this product, the radar detector will malfunction if the camera or cable is brought close to the radar detector.
Try it with a radar detector that uses Super Herodine.

@Rayman.Chan You may be right.
However, other development staff who designed the interface are very concerned about the possibility of making a mistake in this case.

Actually, this is the situation.

Let's talk well here.
Thank you carefully.

Last edited:
When the car interior temperature is low, only the rear camera image is blacked out continuously.

When K2S is started with "cold start". (The capacitor is probably FULL.)

In this case, K2S shows 30 ° C even when the outside temperature and the temperature inside the vehicle are -3 ° C.

Thermistor calculation error.

When K2S is started with "cold start" in sunlight, the rear camera image is almost normal. (A clear picture is recorded.)

However, if the temperature inside the car is low, the image of the rear camera only crashes frequently, and if this happens, the image from the front camera will not be recorded until the rear camera cable is disconnected.

The front camera is fully recorded.
Even if the port is changed, only the front camera is recorded without any problem.
The quality of these images is amazing.

I have a hole in the car for this product. (Of course, for careful wiring)

I don't understand why manufacturers often only ask for returns for products they buy.

For example,
I know that if I return a product, I don't really have a path and guarantee for it to be refunded.

Since I am not an amateur with regard to cable connections, I am nervous and carefully check when initial product defects are confirmed.

What depends on the temperature is very similar to the “solder floating” state.
(Since we have done simple repairs such as VCRs and CRT TVs, we know the principle behind this problem.)

Last night, I was shooting a video of an initial failure that was in trouble since the product arrived.

This product is expensive.

There is a description of manufacturer guarantee on Ali's brand site.
However, there is no formal support or aftercare after I purchase the product.
Of course, there is no support for reshipping the camera.

All the answers from manufacturers and sellers are vague and ambiguous.

In addition, only "Copy and Paste" is used repeatedly for documents sent back to me by @Rayman.Chan.

I am not really trying to help a user who is very in trouble because of the initial failure of the camera unit.

They just leave the buyers in trouble.

So I talk carefully about this issue.

Please understand.
Best regards.

Yesterday's video.

After “Playback Mode” and “Setting”, use the function keys to switch to “Live View (Recording Mode)”.
However, if you press the function key after “Playback Mode” or “Setting”, you will return to “Playback Mode” without permission.
This is a problem that occurred suddenly and indefinitely from the beginning.
At the same time, this video shows the K2S itself restarting itself.
@Rayman.Chan This is the video you wanted.

Yudia,
again, I still found there is connection problem in you video.
see the image below. It reason is obvious ---- bad connection.
for easier contrast, I copied the image and add lines to show you why I say the cable is not fullly inserted into receptacle on recorder body.
hope you can understand this.
From the first day I got your feedback, I have point out the connection problem.
the light at gap position is the metal housing of USB-C connector.

yudia.jpg

Last edited:
However, if K2S is using LVDS for serial communication from the camera, the cable will not be able to communicate properly unless it is a twisted pair.
@Rayman.Chan Is the Type-C cable used in this system a twisted cable that conforms to the LVDS standard?

Yes there are 2 pairs twisted wires in the cable.
each wire have a backup pin in the USB-C connector to make sure it is well connected.
our engineer made a great work.

1:44 of your video
yudia.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Yudia K2S 2
knwatkins K2S 41
Back