Problem persists for the past couple of months.

jdm life

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a Lexar High Endurance 64GB Class 10 in my Viofo A119. Im having errors using mass storage on PC using the OEM wire provided in the box, nothing is read under File Reader. Frequently I also have "Please format MicroSD", and i've tried formatting off PC and off the camera itself and it still shows once in a while. My firmware currently is "A119_161216_V2.01" . Thanks for your help!

Try a different brand of High Endurance sd card .

Getting a genuine card from a reputable seller who's reputation would be damaged is the key .

If not previously done, the microSD card must be formatted FAT32 which I don't think can be done in Windows, but there are free PC applications about that can do it. I think you can just format the card in the camera. Power the camera with the short cable and a USB wall charger or +5Vdc USB power bank. Find the "Format" selection in the menu, select the OK selection with the arrows and press the "!" button to confirm the action. It takes a few seconds.

If that doesn't work you will have to use an app on the PC. When connected to a PC with the short cable, the A119 screen turns blue and displays "MASS STORAGE". That means that the camera now looks like a USB storage device to the PC. Check Windows File Explorer for a new drive and find the files on your microSD card there. You can do the same thing by removing the microSD card from the camera and inserting it into an SD card adapter and plug it into the card reader slot on your PC. It will also show up as a new drive in Windows File Explorer.

Try a different brand of High Endurance sd card .

Getting a genuine card from a reputable seller who's reputation would be damaged is the key .

Any recommendations for cards to use? 32/64 GB?

If not previously done, the microSD card must be formatted FAT32 which I don't think can be done in Windows, but there are free PC applications about that can do it. I think you can just format the card in the camera. Power the camera with the short cable and a USB wall charger or +5Vdc USB power bank. Find the "Format" selection in the menu, select the OK selection with the arrows and press the "!" button to confirm the action. It takes a few seconds.

If that doesn't work you will have to use an app on the PC. When connected to a PC with the short cable, the A119 screen turns blue and displays "MASS STORAGE". That means that the camera now looks like a USB storage device to the PC. Check Windows File Explorer for a new drive and find the files on your microSD card there. You can do the same thing by removing the microSD card from the camera and inserting it into an SD card adapter and plug it into the card reader slot on your PC. It will also show up as a new drive in Windows File Explorer.

Tried formatting to FAT32 with EPM and still hasn't worked. Probably switching cards is the best option, thanks.

There are a few tools you can use to format on PC.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/

Tried, didnt work, couldn't do 64gb cards.

Be sure to use the short cable provided with the camera. Also, Lexar cards have been troublesome as of late, I would try another card.

Here is Viofo’s Format tool - http://support.viofo.com/support/so...0046583-micro-sd-card-format-tool-for-windows

trying this now, will keep you updated thanks!

High Endurance , Transcend and San Disk , I guess.

Sound weird its the recommended tool for formatting > 32 Gb cards to fat 32, as that otherwise default to ex-fat for the larger cards.
What we have done for a long time to use 64 Gb cards in cameras that was marked as 32 Gb max card size.

Lexar use to me a kick ass brand, but after they sold off the memory card division problems have popped up all over the place as i understand it.

Are you sure its a genuine card ? try run H2testw on it
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Samsung Evo has been reliable and reasonably priced for me. (amazon)

couple months ago i was having the same issues with a Lexar 64gb, i switch to a PNY prime performance and everything is working fine.
Any recommendations for cards to use? 32/64 GB?

i don't see the need for special formatting tools. just format it in the camera and then you can be 100% sure that it's formatted with the right file system, block size, etc.

that's what i do.

i also use a few different samsung evo cards in mine - just recently upgraded to 128gb. formatted in-camera with zero issue.

also, i notice you're still in a 2.x firmware - 3.4 has been released, which adds parking mode, so if you have your camera wired to have power while the car is off, it can record while you're away.

i don't see the need for special formatting tools. just format it in the camera and then you can be 100% sure that it's formatted with the right file system, block size, etc.

that's what i do.

i also use a few different samsung evo cards in mine - just recently upgraded to 128gb. formatted in-camera with zero issue.

also, i notice you're still in a 2.x firmware - 3.4 has been released, which adds parking mode, so if you have your camera wired to have power while the car is off, it can record while you're away.

Im trying to update it and see if it fixes but i can't get it through mass storage mode cause my ocmputer wont read it and theres no files found on the card when i use a reader

Im trying to update it and see if it fixes but i can't get it through mass storage mode cause my ocmputer wont read it and theres no files found on the card when i use a reader
you don't actually need to connect the camera to a PC to upgrade the firmware. put your card in a card reader, make sure there are NO files on it, copy the .bin file to it from your PC then "safely remove"/eject the card. put it in the camera, then plug it into a phone charger or something. you'll see the REC light flicker a bunch as it updates, then the camera will start up normally. go into settings, and set default (this gives the new firmware a clean slate to work with and prevents weird glitches/behaviors) and then set whatever settings you want, like time zone, custom text, etc. finally, do a format on the card inside the camera one more time for good measure, and you should be good to go.

you don't actually need to connect the camera to a PC to upgrade the firmware. put your card in a card reader, make sure there are NO files on it, copy the .bin file to it from your PC then "safely remove"/eject the card. put it in the camera, then plug it into a phone charger or something. you'll see the REC light flicker a bunch as it updates, then the camera will start up normally. go into settings, and set default (this gives the new firmware a clean slate to work with and prevents weird glitches/behaviors) and then set whatever settings you want, like time zone, custom text, etc. finally, do a format on the card inside the camera one more time for good measure, and you should be good to go.

So i tried all this and updated to V3.91 and its still giving me memory errors. Possibly a camera fault? I dont see what else could be the problem as i have switched memory cards once already...Thanks

Do you get the memory errors when you power the camera in your house while powering via a USB wall charger and the supplied Viofo short USB cable?

or you get errors while recording in a car?

Please format micro SD card for both instances.
Are you using a MAC or PC?

Have you tried to format the memory cards using the SDformatter program? If not, try that, then format again in the camera.

Last edited:
I have a Lexar High Endurance 64GB Class 10 in my Viofo A119. Im having errors using mass storage on PC using the OEM wire provided in the box, nothing is read under File Reader. Frequently I also have "Please format MicroSD",
So i tried all this and updated to V3.91 and its still giving me memory errors. Possibly a camera fault? I dont see what else could be the problem as i have switched memory cards once already...
Are you getting any recordings now that will playback on your computer or in the camera?

What happens after you get the message "Please format microSD card"? Did you format the card in the camera? Did the camera then boot up and start recording (blinking red dot on the LCD screen)? Were files recorded and playable in the camera or on a computer?

Are you getting any corrupt (unplayable) files recorded?

How often do these memory errors occur and when (on power up, randomly, or otherwise)?

Are you having any problems with Date/Time? Are you using GPS for updates?

So i tried all this and updated to V3.91 and its still giving me memory errors. Possibly a camera fault?
have you reset (recommended) the "Default settings" in the "Menu" after firmware update?

Back