Problem w/ Mobius video out.

Muffintop

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im trying to use my Mobius dash cam with as a back up monitor and i cannot get it to display anything on my TFT monitor. im using the correct 4 pin connector that came with the camera that has the bridged pins, i think pin 5 and 4 and still nothing shows up. I have the mobius currently hooked up to an external battery that i know has a solid charge. but for some reason i cannot get anything to display on the monitor...

IMAG46741.jpg

Just one wire, the yellow wire connected to the video lead.

Iv been grounding the wires, still nothing.

Try just power. Record something. Pull the card and watch on computer.
Verify the camera is working first.

Im sure, thanks for the link though. was a good read on my future mobius purchases! its a real one. i just think though the cable is junk. im ordering a new cable asap. but it will not get here in time for me to use the mobius this weekend like i wanted too.

do mobius need and software updates?

Also, the cable is cut up because i was installing the mobius into a night vision device container...

Your picture doesn't match your description of 'grounded'. IT won't work as shown.
The video lead that goes to the monitor will have to have both the black and yellow wires connected.
The power sources for the two devices are isolated from each other. The video has no return path back to the Mobius as shown. The power for each device needs a complete circuit.

The video needs a complete circuit. Video signal goes from the Mobius along the yellow wire to the monitor (goes through some magic parts inside the monitor) and come back to the Mobius along the black wire to complete the path.
A picture with the correct hook up would be better.

Last edited:
I've not heard a single other report that the "the cable is junk". Perhaps the "cut up" cable has a little something to do with the problem?

OK. Hope you didn't take my post wrong but showing proper wiring will eliminate those "you did this wrong" comments :)

I assume you still have no video . Try the other video input to the monitor.
Jiggle the BNC to Phono connection. I've run into problems there before.
Does your monitor come on when power is applied and display "No Video"?
Does the camera record?

Other than that, you are in the right place to get help.
That 'other' forum only likes the E700 camera :)

Thanks for all the info.

So far i have been able to make the screen go to three different things. Blue, AV2, and Fuzz bars. i have honestly hacked the cable up so bad at this point that I should probably just wait till the new one comes before we all go further. Right now its back to blank

I did test the BNC to phono connection to be solid. had issues with other BNC to phono connectors and just bought a higher quality Gold plated connector.

The camera does record. got about 2 hours of my belly and cussing recorded so far.

I ruled out the possible error to be monitor battery side since i hooked up my ej230 and it worked perfectly.

Honestly I can't wait to get this little dash cam to work so i can record some of my night games.

Thanks for all the info thus far. I'm a very big novice about electronic devices. but the concept when explained makes sence to me. Im wondering though if it is ok to ground to a 12V monitor directly or if i should ground the Video cable to the 5v converter that powers the mobius.

Since you are using isolated supplies, the only 'Ground' between them is the the video signal ground (shield). To form a complete circuit for the video signal the video shield should be connected at both ends of the signal wire. You can trace the 12v power through a complete loop, just like the 5v power through it's own loop.
Just think of the 12v, the 5v, and the video as 3 separate 2 wire circuits. Power supply current will flow in the 12v neg and the 5 volt neg.
The video signal return will flow between the two devices, again over it's own 2 wire circuit.
You last picture shows the 2 video wires at the Mobius connected to the Video connector of the monitor.
That looks correct.
If all the connections are good, you should have video.

I'm not familiar with the controls or menu options of the Mobius. Since it records but does not display it may just be a matter of selecting live video in the menu (which you can't see :) ).

(knew there was a reason I got the G1W :) )

Last edited:
No need to select anything in the menu for live video. (although you can select aspect ratio and display mode (PAL/NTSC)) Just plugging the standard AV wiring harness into the camera with power and video-out is all that is needed.

If the monitor doesn't auto select, maybe you could try to change to PAL or NTSC on the monitor.

Back